Did only Studio One get the midi control learn thingie right?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In DP you enter midi-learn mode via a button, select the control, move the control, done.

IMO way easier than S1's method.

Edit, my comment was redundant. Chk already explained it in the OP.

Robert Randolph wrote:In DP you enter midi-learn mode via a button, select the control, move the control, done.

True, but how is it able to detect the midi devices controls? Also, i fail to see how this is "way easier" than S1's method. Seems pretty much the same.

chk071 wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:In DP you enter midi-learn mode via a button, select the control, move the control, done.

True, but how is it able to detect the midi devices controls? Also, i fail to see how this is "way easier" than S1's method. Seems pretty much the same.
DP can use any midi device on the system. There's no setup required.

It's definitely easier than studio one.

About any host can do that. The question is, how is it set up in DP? I mean, it could well be that you have several midi devices, and you don't plugin them all whenever you launch DP. The way i understood it, the host at least has to know which knobs and faders the single midi devices have, and that is not possible, if there's not some kind of control scheme, or whatever set up in the host.

chk071 wrote:About any host can do that. The question is, how is it set up in DP? I mean, it could well be that you have several midi devices, and you don't plugin them all whenever you launch DP. The way i understood it, the host at least has to know which knobs and faders the single midi devices have, and that is not possible, if there's not some kind of control scheme, or whatever set up in the host.
No, the host doesn't have to know that. The device can simply send that information and it be recognized on first transmission. The host doesn't actually have to know what is a control or not (unless it's sending nrpn or sysex). It's just midi data.

DP automatically finds/connects your midi devices on startup. It will warn you if something is missing that was present last time you saved the project, but everything present is connected automatically.

Now, if you want to use a pre-defined map... then sure you have to setup something in that regard (as you do with any host). Just for midi-learn though... no.

Wonder why i have to set up my midi keyboard in Studio One then. You know, like, learn the knobs and faders, and stuff.

dp sounds just like samplitude but for each track you select your midi input (or audio input) and like I said in the dialog box for the vsti check the midi learn function then you can click a parameter, move the corresponding controller and so on and when you;re done go back and deselect the midi learn...but you do have to choose a controller at the midi input stage which only makes sense :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

In Ableton it is similar, ctrl+M enters MIDI learn mode, then you do the usual, click a knob in the VST then wiggle a knob in your controller, ctrl+M again when you are finished.

As a plus, ctrl+K allows the same for ordinary computer keyboard keys, useful for on/off switches.

DP can use any midi device on the system. There's no setup required. It's definitely easier than studio one.
True. Except it's all one to one mapping. (one knob to one plugin parameter) If you have 8 plugin instruments you'll need 200 physical knobs in no time.

It's easy but scales poorly.
Wonder why i have to set up my midi keyboard in Studio One then. You know, like, learn the knobs and faders, and stuff.
Because in S1 you are creating a layer between the plugin and your physical keyboard/knob input. There's a good reason for this. You are making connections between:

1. Physical Knob -> S1 Virtual Knob

2. S1 Virtual Knob -> Plugin Parameter

Why not just remove the layer and connect Physical Knob -> Plugin Parameter?

This is where S1 gets it mostly right. You can map one knob to many plugin parameters. As your focused instrument changes, so does your S1 Virtual Knob -> Plugin Parameter mapping.

It's more complicated but scales well.

I've been wondering if any other hosts offer one to many mapping other than S1 and Reaper?

wilcofan wrote:I've been wondering if any other hosts offer one to many mapping other than S1 and Reaper?
viewtopic.php?p=6544403#p6544403
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wilcofan wrote:I've been wondering if any other hosts offer one to many mapping other than S1 and Reaper?
viewtopic.php?p=6544403#p6544403
Awesome, this thread is now recursive. :party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”