What hardware are you missing in software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SayersWeb wrote:
Ingonator wrote: A Supernova II emulation would be indeed cool but an UltraNova emulation would be even better IMO.
Oh... why did I read your post? I had no interest in getting a new hardware synth... recently, most of my music production is software synths, along with a Virus TI. I bought the Nova Desktop as my first analog style synth when it first came out. I loved it, still have it, but the power supplies keep failing, so I have given up using it. Then I read your post and after researching it (endlessly) now I have ordered an Ultranova. I certainly don't need it... This is the first hardware synth I have bought in many years... maybe even 10 years. I hold you personally responsible Ingonator! :)

I'm a bit concerned about replacing a 61 ke controller with 37 keys...
Currently as keyboards i mostly use Novation UltraNova, Novation Bass Station II and a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 (my main masterkeyboard at the moment). If i need a bigger keyboard with e.g. the Bass Station II or UltraNova i route e.g. the Komplete Kontrol S61 to them (in the DAW) or directly connect it via MIDI. I had also used a setup where i routed the Komplete Kontrol S61 to the UltraNova while i routed teh UltraNova to the Bass Station II (inside Live 9). All 3 keyboards have a Fatar keybed with both velocity and aftertouch.

Additioanly besodes a lot of softsynths i also got the Waldorf Blofeld and Pulse 2 desktop modules that are also used in comboination with the keyboards just mentioned (again routed in the DAW if possible or connected via MIDI if necessary).
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I miss E-mu z-plane filters as a vst-plugin
HM

HM wrote:I miss E-mu z-plane filters as a vst-plugin
Theoretically they are already in VST plugin. It's called Emulator X3.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
Yes, I am aware, X3 will be on my new build, was just longing for a plain insertable plug

Rossums morpheus thing wil be checked out also one day I guess
HM

One of my friends used to have an Ensoniq KS32. A rather forgotten workstation / rompler and with a very early 90s sound to it. That said, there was some great electric (not too realistic) pianos and some nice pads.
I'd like to see that in virtual form.
And anything Kurzweil would be nice. I recently sold my PC3x. I doubt we'll ever see any kurzweil plugins though.

K-Bee wrote:One of my friends used to have an Ensoniq KS32. A rather forgotten workstation / rompler and with a very early 90s sound to it. That said, there was some great electric (not too realistic) pianos and some nice pads.
And anything Kurzweil would be nice. I recently sold my PC3x. I doubt we'll ever see any kurzweil plugins though.
KS32 is great, I will definately keep mine :-)

(købt hos Aage fra ny)

For the sounds ZR76 was close, DSF got this:

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/ensoniq-zr
HM

Ingonator wrote:While the Synergy seemed to be an additive synth with 32 partials and additional phase modulation based on what i found at Vintage Synth Explorer it seemed to be a preset synth without programming your own patches.
That's 20%-33% correct, Ingonator, depending on how you look at it :D

Back in the digital dark ages: sometimes a keyboard (read: microcomputer) such as the original Synergy required additional pieces to be programmed - things were often not nearly as integrated as they are now (as an example: the first commercial CD recorders were *not* single-piece stand-alone units)

You *could* program sounds for the original Synergy *If* you had Crumar's GDS system, and a 'chip burner' - like Wendy Carlos:
WC wrote:The Synergy was among the first synthesizers to have a memory cartridge slot. You could get a device that would let you burn your own ROM chips and you could save your own cartridges of voices. I even built DK a library of voices that they later sold when the machine was in its latter stage of being commercially available.
Source: http://www.synthmuseum.com/synergy/synergy01.html

The 'phase modulation' part of VSE's statement may also be incorrect - some fun facts: The Yamaha DX-7's engine is actually PM, even though it's licensed from Stanford and is based on Chowning's FM work; while the Synergy engine is true FM, and came directly from Bell Lab's Hal Alles.

Here's an interesting article for the quasi-acedemic(s):

https://moinsound.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... hnologies/

Your own source cites (3) different versions of the Synergy, although it doesn't distinguish that there was both a II model, as well as a II+ model (which may simply be an upgraded II):
VSE wrote:Later models of the Synergy, known as the Synergy II+, feature MIDI implementation, 24 user voice RAM, and an RS-232 computer port. This allowed support for Kaypro II portable computer systems running Synergy voicing software to open up the possibility to finally edit the sounds of the Synergy as well as to save patch and sequence data on to floppy disk.
Both DK Synergy pieces that were available to me years ago were at least II's and possibly II+'s - therefore both programmable - one (I believe) was a full-blown system; with keyboard, computer, and software.

Edit: It is likely that the Synergy was marketed as an additive synth almost exclusively by DK, and it's FM capabilities not pushed too hard publicly - this is because DK was trying not to 'poke the bear' - anger Yamaha, in other words -
Last edited by goldenanalog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

nord modular g2.
There is a demo. Could be the real thing.

A proper Motif/Fantom/Kronos ROMpler that works as fast as the real thing. The key is the speed. Those ROMplers load sounds instantly. I haven't come across any software that can do that with such high quality sounds.

goldenanalog wrote:
Ingonator wrote:While the Synergy seemed to be an additive synth with 32 partials and additional phase modulation based on what i found at Vintage Synth Explorer it seemed to be a preset synth without programming your own patches.
That's 20%-33% correct, Ingonator, depending on how you look at it :D

Back in the digital dark ages: sometimes a keyboard (read: microcomputer) such as the original Synergy required additional pieces to be programmed - things were often not nearly as integrated as they are now (as an example: the first commercial CD recorders were *not* single-piece stand-alone units)

You *could* program sounds for the original Synergy *If* you had Crumar's GDS system, and a 'chip burner' - like Wendy Carlos:
WC wrote:The Synergy was among the first synthesizers to have a memory cartridge slot. You could get a device that would let you burn your own ROM chips and you could save your own cartridges of voices. I even built DK a library of voices that they later sold when the machine was in its latter stage of being commercially available.
Source: http://www.synthmuseum.com/synergy/synergy01.html

The 'phase modulation' part of VSE's statement may also be incorrect - some fun facts: The Yamaha DX-7's engine is actually PM, even though it's licensed from Stanford and is based on Chowning's FM work; while the Synergy engine is true FM, and came directly from Bell Lab's Hal Alles.

Here's an interesting article for the quasi-acedemic(s):

https://moinsound.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... hnologies/

Your own source cites (3) different versions of the Synergy, although it doesn't distinguish that there was both a II model, as well as a II+ model (which may simply be an upgraded II):
VSE wrote:Later models of the Synergy, known as the Synergy II+, feature MIDI implementation, 24 user voice RAM, and an RS-232 computer port. This allowed support for Kaypro II portable computer systems running Synergy voicing software to open up the possibility to finally edit the sounds of the Synergy as well as to save patch and sequence data on to floppy disk.
Both DK Synergy pieces that were available to me years ago were at least II's and possibly II+'s - therefore both programmable - one (I believe) was a full-blown system; with keyboard, computer, and software.

Edit: It is likely that the Synergy was marketed as an additive synth almost exclusively by DK, and it's FM capabilities not pushed too hard publicly - this is because DK was trying not to 'poke the bear' - anger Yamaha, in other words -
interesting infos...

yamaha vl70-m, in fact the entire VL series

HM wrote:
K-Bee wrote:One of my friends used to have an Ensoniq KS32. A rather forgotten workstation / rompler and with a very early 90s sound to it. That said, there was some great electric (not too realistic) pianos and some nice pads.
KS32 is great, I will definately keep mine :-)

(købt hos Aage fra ny)

For the sounds ZR76 was close, DSF got this:

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/ensoniq-zr
I wasn't aware of those samples from DSF. Well worth checking out I reckon.
Tak :)

Unreflected wrote:nord modular g2.
Best digital synth ever made. The demo proves it can be done.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Unreflected wrote:nord modular g2.
This. Or even the Nord Modular 1. There are no software modular synths that offer the flexibility of these synths in such an easy to use package. Somebody did hack the demo so it can be used as a plugin but it crashes pretty regularly. Really anything that works like an actual analog modular synth but without bothering to waste time making it sound "super authentically analog" and that uses the same upsampling and antialiasing that was implemented in the nords. There are things I can do with FM using those synths that I haven't been able to achieve with any software synth. Most just turn to weird high frequency noise due to aliasing including the Softube guy. Anybody out there in the U.S. Wanna sell me a G2?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

HM wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
Yes, I am aware, X3 will be on my new build, was just longing for a plain insertable plug

Rossums morpheus thing wil be checked out also one day I guess
I was never big on the EMU Z Plane filters myself, but I've heard that U-He Filterscape is similar in capabilities. It might be worth demoing. Again this is just what I've heard.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”