FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried the Moog MF Drive and wasn't that impressed after a play. Went with a Palmer Hurrigain instead. A really nice fuzz/distortion that is chorus friendly.

I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Funky! I just watched a video on it that was recorded through a Line 6 Spider Valve, it sounded surprisingly great!

Yes, it has a lot of range too. Even me being the noise monster I am, probably won't use it at full gain.

They only had the demo model in store so had to order it. Soooo frustrating to have to wait :x :cry:

MountainKing wrote:
I think I've heard dozens of better covers of that song by local pub bands.
OK, just a matter of taste as I assume....
No it really sucked, sounded like Brian Adams
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:No it really sucked, sounded like Brian Adams
Are you saying you didn't get your first real 6-string at a 5-and-dime?

lol. i'm getting 8 caline pedals this week: 2 drive, 2 chorus, fuzz, delay, compressor, boost. will have to hear how that goes.

got an OCD... tight...

...didn't earlier notice the picture of the Hurrigain... am going to have to look up these 'Palmer' pedals. wow... Palmer has a lot of pedals -- it seems for direct recording, with some other pedals mixed in. Good price point -- most are reasonable and not super high like some boutique manufacturers. Lots of pedals.... seems like some emphasis on 'bass root' and 'root' pedals.

..meanwhile, the OCD sounds really good.

Anyone have any thoughts on Subdecay boutique pedals? Lots of great demos on youtube.

I have the old SubDecay Flying Tomato pedal but it doesn't seem to have anything in common with any of their current products.

Damn you guys, Sub Decay Liquid Sunshine just went to the top of my wish list :love: . Will have to wait though as it's not cheap.

Anyways, Hurrigain is awesome. Well built and sounds great. Only thing it doesn't handle is reverb, but that's probably just me.

I created a fuzz pedal with treble, mid, bass, and presence controls. In addition, I put bias potentiometers on each of these EQ controls and also the fuzz and output controls. These bias controls alter the character of the distortion by increasing or limiting the affect each EQ band has on the gain. For example, you can bias them right on the edge of too low and you'll get that spitty, splatty fuzz tone that a lot of people seem to like these days. On the negative side, it's easy to go too far with these controls, which causes no sound to be produced.

My question for you guys is how accessible should I make these controls? The two options I'm thinking are to either 1) use tiny little mini pots (like what you see on a lot of today's mini pedals, the gain, level, and EQ controls will all be on full-sized pots) or 2) use internal trimpots with holes in the case so that people can turn them with mini screwdrivers. I want people to be able to access them because they really do make it possible to create some interesting sounds that aren't available from other pedals but I'm afraid customers will think the pedals are broken when the bias pots are set to extremes. What do you think?

^ Side mounted mini pots like the Voltage one on a VHT V-Drive.

E, This pedal sounds ('reads'?) like it is great. For whatever it's worth, I somehow remember having had a diatribe in this thread against the 'bare pot knobs' on mini pedals, but have since decided it's not a big deal either way. 'Side-mounted mini-pots' would be cool in any event.

This Fuzz pedal is going to be cool!

...at a sort of crossroads. having gathered in many $20-$40 pedals, the more exotic, boutique pedals seem to enter into the picture at $150+. in the face of such cost, the thought arises that attempting to build my own pedals might be the way to go.

the gas is strong, but the cash just isn't there...

in the meantime, i have to remind myself that these already-purchased pedals are pretty, pretty cool.

btw, that OCD from the other day? ... went right into the pedal chain. very 'nice'. so many great drives out there, so few spaces in the pedal chain...

anyway, yada yada... it kind of goes... 'wow that exotic pedal is must-have. wait, it's $300 bux? should i learn to read schematics and solder, etc.?'

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”