SurferEQ 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SurferEQ

Looks interesting.
https://www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq/

And another slick video from Dan Worrall. He make a product a must buy just by demonstrating it.

Except I bought the upgrade and it appears they now require iLok dongles. I refuse to get into the iLok dongle game and so I am not very happy about this. I've emailed support asking for a solution or a refund. I'll dump my other sound radix plugin if they are moving to a dongle-only. sad if they are. a step backwards not to support soft-authorization especially considering Pace support this as well.

The release notes say "ADDED iLok/Pace support" which means it was added, not replacing anything. but it appears it replaced their auth system. so that was misleading. beware.

Unless of course they have some other solution, or I misunderstood or am wrong. I'll update as I find out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I wonder if SurferEQ will be more effective than a dynamic EQ. Melda DynamicAutoEQ can do everything SurferEQ does, but it's pitchtracking isn't so good.

Anyone using SurferEQ with good results?

Ive seen some people complain about the adoption of iLok usb by sound radix in the sound radix facebook page. but the comments are gone now. is sound radix deleating comments?

so they've switched from serial number auth to ilok usb only. this really screws over customers that dont use dongles. and they said they may switch their other plugs to ilok usb.

now I have to dump my sound radix products before they go dongle crazy. unbelievably stupid and inconsiderate decision on their part. at least support ilok soft-auth for heavens sake. idiots.

Am I missing something ?

They wrote "ADDED", not "switched to"...
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:Am I missing something ?

Exactly. That's why I bought the upgrade. After the install, I authed the key they sent with iLok and the only option was to a USB key. so I emailed them and they confirmed this and refunded me. they also told me they may switch their other plugins to iLok USB only. So if you don't use iLok USB and don't plan to, you just got screwed.

plexuss wrote:

Exactly. That's why I bought the upgrade. After the install, I authed the key they sent with iLok and the only option was to a USB key. so I emailed them and they confirmed this and refunded me. they also told me they may switch their other plugins to iLok USB only. So if you don't use iLok USB and don't plan to, you just got screwed.
If you DO use iLok, you are happy that they changed though.

Like me.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Robert Randolph wrote:
plexuss wrote:

Like me.
But consider this: Consider the customers that bought into Sound Radix BECAUSE the don't use dongles and don't plan to - there are some of those (I am one). I have 3 of their plugins and use them. In the context of customers as described, with this update, Sound Radix has a) Prevented customers from being able to use the update, b) Significantly devalued SurferEQ 1, c) devalues their other plugins because now what, they might switch those to iLok USB too?

Sure, make a change. But how about warning users that this coming down the pipe. And how about accurately advertising the update as not "ADDED...." but "REPLACED WITH..." and say explicitly "Thew new version requires an iLok USB" - there is nothing on the product pages about this and I also looked through the manual to check - nothing. so i bought it. and then had to ask for a refund - wasting my time.

Why is this an issue? Trust. These aren't just toys - they are tools and they cost a fair amount of money. Part of what I expect is reliability to maintain a status quo so that I rely on these tools. In one fell swoop they now put this imposition on us non-iLok users. There was no warning.

For you iLok USB users, great! Wow. that's awesome. for us non-USB users... we just got a dongle shoved up our ass by Sound Radix.

this sucks. was interested but dongle only is just bullshit when they could easily do software auth via ilok licenser..

i have drum leveler and use it quite often. if they switch to dongle only for this i guess i'll put it up FS. :(

what a drag.

plexuss wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
plexuss wrote:

Like me.
But consider this: Consider the customers that bought into Sound Radix BECAUSE the don't use dongles and don't plan to - there are some of those (I am one). I have 3 of their plugins and use them. In the context of customers as described, with this update, Sound Radix has a) Prevented customers from being able to use the update, b) Significantly devalued SurferEQ 1, c) devalues their other plugins because now what, they might switch those to iLok USB too?

Sure, make a change. But how about warning users that this coming down the pipe. And how about accurately advertising the update as not "ADDED...." but "REPLACED WITH..." and say explicitly "Thew new version requires an iLok USB" - there is nothing on the product pages about this and I also looked through the manual to check - nothing. so i bought it. and then had to ask for a refund - wasting my time.

Why is this an issue? Trust. These aren't just toys - they are tools and they cost a fair amount of money. Part of what I expect is reliability to maintain a status quo so that I rely on these tools. In one fell swoop they now put this imposition on us non-iLok users. There was no warning.

For you iLok USB users, great! Wow. that's awesome. for us non-USB users... we just got a dongle shoved up our ass by Sound Radix.
What you purchased still works, doesn't it?

There's no requirement to update or use iLok.

Robert Randolph wrote:
plexuss wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
plexuss wrote:

Like me.

What you purchased still works, doesn't it?

There's no requirement to update or use iLok.
yeah of course.. it's a bummer though.. you think you're good to go and no surprises and then this drops outta nowhere when a new AWESOME looking update is released. it kinda stings ay?

it makes the plug in you have a dead end of sorts. "better sell it now before it's worth nothing or becomes incompatible" is what some will think. the features you hoped you'd get are only available with a big compromise/inconvenience for some people.

shrug.

dayjob wrote: yeah of course.. it's a bummer though.. you think you're good to go and no surprises and then this drops outta nowhere when a new AWESOME looking update is released. it kinda stings ay?

it makes the plug in you have a dead end of sorts. "better sell it now before it's worth nothing or becomes incompatible" is what some will think. the features you hoped you'd get are only available with a big compromise/inconvenience for some people.

shrug.
Why would you sell it or whatever? The thing you purchased still works.

I really don't understand what you guys do in the real world when a company releases a new version of your toaster, refrigerator, plates, car, tiling etc... You bought the stuff to serve a purpose. Use it.

edit: Unless you purchased it so you can have the cool new shiny thing... in which case you now don't. Then it'd make sense to be upset.

Robert Randolph wrote:
dayjob wrote: yeah of course.. it's a bummer though.. you think you're good to go and no surprises and then this drops outta nowhere when a new AWESOME looking update is released. it kinda stings ay?

shrug.
Why would you sell it or whatever? The thing you purchased still works.

I really don't understand what you guys do in the real world when a company releases a new version of your toaster, refrigerator, plates, car, tiling etc... You bought the stuff to serve a purpose. Use it.

edit: Unless you purchased it so you can have the cool new shiny thing... in which case you now don't. Then it'd make sense to be upset.
you're being cute but it's not very cute.. c'mon.. you buy a thing.. you use it a lot.. you think "i wish it did this too.." then they come out w/an update and it does that and more and you can have it for $29 update fee buuuuutttt.. you have to buy an iLok and stick a dongle in your computer. it's a bummer.

so, sure.. the thing you originally bought and are excited about and use regularly still works just great of course.. but maybe your next OS update breaks it.. and then that's the end of it unless you buy a dongle and get the update. or you cut your losses and sell it now and look for another tool to do the same job.

software is not a toaster or refrigerator. when i move to a new place i don't have to worry (yet) about my toaster being compatible with my new house.

You know what's also a bummer? Working for months to produce an awesome new update, then finding its cracked days later.

I think it's a pity that ilok is necessary, but I'll not blame any developer that chooses to protect their work with it.

IIRs wrote:
You know what's also a bummer? Working for months to produce an awesome new update, then finding its cracked days later.

I think it's a pity that ilok is necessary, but I'll not blame any developer that chooses to protect their work with it.
there are so many bummers in the world.. like when they could use software authorization via ilok licenser app but force you buy a dongle that you know you'll break or lose or get stolen.

also, it's a bummer to be a paying customer who is essentially being punished for buying the thing.. see recent iLok license debacles for reference. ask me how many hours i spent getting my systems up an running after iLok erased/trapped all my licenses...

all things being considered.. these are champagne problems to have.

so, whatevs.. some people happy.. some people bummed. such is life. not gonna drag my dick around in the dirt because of it.

Return to “Effects”