Plugging a synth into Hi-Z inputs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of buying a motu ultralite Avb to replace my current setup (soundcraft efx 12 + echo audiofire 4). While I don't need 16 inputs like on the soundcraft mixer, I'm not sure if the ultralite has enough for my needs.

Basically, I want 10 inputs for my synths and other line level gear, and can account for 8 with the 6 line level inputs and 2 preamps (via passive di box) on the ultralite avb, but not sure if it's advisable to plug a synth directly into the remaining 2 hi-z input. Has anyone done this, or does it on a regular basis? Can I expect it to add noise, or anything I should know? What if I use a passive di box in reverse, like for reamping? Synths are usually low impedance iirc, but not sure how best to set this up or whether it's something I should even be concerned about.

there might be a button to turn the hi-z 'off' on those two hi-z inputs.

No doesn't seem like there is. I guess the thing to do would be to turn the gain all the way down and start with very low levels on the synth.

The ideal solution seems to be a dedicated reamping box, but I don't want to spend $100+ on one. I already have two cheap stereo passive di's (art dual z direct) and need only one for the preamps. Afaik, even a reamping box is technically just a passive di in reverse, but with the important difference that a reamping box is a step down transformer while a passive di box in reverse will be a step up transformer. So I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to attempt using it in reverse.

You already have the Soundcraft efx 12. Use that as a submixer into your interface.

Or is the point to be portable?

The point is to increase the channel count going into the daw, and yes, being more portable would be a welcome benefit. What got me interested in the ultralite avb is its ability to run standalone as a mixer with full control using an iPad or the front panel.

If I get the ultralite I would sell the mixer to finance it. But I've reconsidered since I posted last night, and think maybe it would be wiser to hang on to the mixer and get a cheaper interface instead. It also has inserts which can work as direct outs, in addition to the other outputs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”