Run Windows glitch free

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Cantabile dev has published a free eBook about how to get audio applications running without problems and glitches in Windows

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitc ... litchfree1
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cool - always good to have a clear checklist to run through every so often (and I spotted a few here I'd missed this time through).

Thanks Numanoid, this is great guide, better than most I've gone through. I'm guessing Brad Wrote this
considering how well it is laid out and all the cool details that are included. I saved it in my OS PC
mauals folder to tune my new system when I get finished building it.
A minor scale is a major scale starting 3 half steps down from the major and visa versa. Any Chord has as many versions as it has notes.

+1 :tu: Thanks too! Will be going through this right now.

Good work. I would also go so far as recommending disabling the Windows Themes service to completely shut off the Aero system. It should free up some RAM.

Last time 3 years ago, I just changed process priority to background and thats it. No glitches (m-audio audiophile2496 drivers seem to need that change) ever.

Nothing else was needed. Aero is on, I can go to 85% with 128 samples without any glitches, but normally very heavy projects go to 50-60%.. so..

One thing I specifically checked before buying new machine: motherboards DPC levels.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Thing is, on a good system configuration the minimum amount of tweaking should be required. Testing in advance is the way to approach this, but lets be honest most user don't get a chance to do so.

Fair amount of work gone in here, some interesting suggestions.

I agree, with the right hardware there really isn't much if any tweaking that needs to be done. The trick is getting the right hardware, especially when using a laptop. I think maybe all I did on my machine is set the process priority to background.

I did do a ton of up front research before I bought my laptop and it wasn't cheap by any means. I focused on an overclockable processor, the best cooling I could find in a stock laptop, an internal sound card with ASIO drivers, and large enough SSD's (2 512SSD's, 1 1TB 7200) and RAM (32gig). I also wanted a thunderbolt port and external display ports for multi-monitor.

Cooling in a laptop is stupidly critical. You don't want throttling because of heat or you'll get instant pops and crackles. 4K display and dedicated graphics were nice too for my other bad habit.

Yeah cooling is so important and so many people neglect it.

If you're comfortable mucking with things that can damage your laptop if you screw up, there's also ThrottleStop. It does exactly what the name suggests, but it also unlocks timing multipliers and will let you get rid of the ridiculous BD_PROCHOT flag that throttles your CPU if the GPU is working. It makes a HUGE difference in some cases. My laptop is shipped with the CPU multiplier hamstrung and PROCHOT enabled, performance more than doubled when I fired up ThrottleStop. You have to really pay attention to your cooling though..if it gets too out of hand and you've got the throttling disabled, eventually the CPU WILL totally shut down to protect itself and your laptop WILL randomly turn off out of nowhere with no warning

Oh I have to add: I did another thing before that, just didnt remember it when posting

- BIOS powersave states off
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Great find.
I followed most of his suggestions, and it made a big, big difference. I'm surprised and delighted. I can now run synths that I couldn't before, and I've halved my processing buffer. It's like a new computer.

I have what I think is a relative find,
Don't know if any of you knows about msfn.org but, there is alot going
on over there that I was not aware of since I haven't been over there in
quite some time.
Does anybody remember the utility written by Nuhi called nLite? It
allowed you to preconfigure your W XP OS preinstall. I used it to create
a lite blazingly fast XP 64 OS along with help from several resources
including Dux.
Nuhi has written a new utility called NTLite and it works with W 7-10. Not only that but the upper tier paid versions allow you to configure live installations. This is definitely not for the timid and needs a bit of savyness aswell as a good deal of research but I'm thinking no more cortana or edge or alot of the garbage MS put in W 10 to say the least. preinstall drivers apps and make it unattended what more could one want.
A minor scale is a major scale starting 3 half steps down from the major and visa versa. Any Chord has as many versions as it has notes.

I truly hope NTLite becomes as solid as NLite was, but for now, youre paying to be a beta bug tester (and many across the net are choosing not to). DISM/WAIK along with a package unhider is a better option currently.

Anyways, i hope this is a wake up call to many who have been going around saying that w7+ is so perfect, and we have such great hardware that tweaking isnt needed today. Hell, you can even go dig up what that MS guy said regarding windows / embedded, in relation to audio setups.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

It's not real new, alot of people have been using it with really good results,
so I don't expect it to be problematic, more like being my own worst enemy
if I get reckless with it. I'll VM it before committing.

Another giveaway that might be of interest in this regard, the Windows 10 Bible by Wiley

http://sharewareonsale.tradepub.com/fre ... 0/prgm.cgi

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”