5%
there is no limit
37%
Fish someone?
5%

Total votes: 267

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lately I've been getting into simple synths especially Bassline 101 which is a beauty, I borrowed an SH-101 back in the day for a long period and loved it's simplicity, in these days of mega synths it's easy to forget the charm of a limited architecture. Not that there is anything wrong with complex, I'm a synth junkie, I love them all.

I would find it hard to choose desert island synths, I like having a large selection, each synth brings it's own character and also influences the way you work with it, it's a 2 way relationship. Even though 2 synths can have a similar architecture you can create very different sounds based on your relationship with it.

However, many years ago I had a job writing music for documentaries and had to score/mix 1 1/2 hours in surround sound in 6 weeks which included recording the commentaries x2. I decided to limit myself to just 20 samples so that I wouldn't waste any time sourcing sounds and it worked really well. It's amazing how creative you can be with such a limitation and the score ended up feeling very "themed"

Astralp wrote:it's a 2 way relationship. Even though 2 synths can have a similar architecture you can create very different sounds based on your relationship with it.
I feel the same. :D
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

god says 5 are ok, allah dont like synths at all->0, buddha says you have enough karmic cycles to try out every synth ever.
my grandmother says you still didnt bring her the books you borrowd last year.

I have over a hundred synths and still buy about 2 a year. I use them more often than one would think but it's definitely overkill. I started and got my career moving with 3 synths and 2 rack samplers. I guess that's probably more than enough. If you do this for a living though you can write off all the vsts you buy so (I tell myself) the more the merrier.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:I have over a hundred synths and still buy about 2 a year. I use them more often than one would think but it's definitely overkill. I started and got my career moving with 3 synths and 2 rack samplers. I guess that's probably more than enough. If you do this for a living though you can write off all the vsts you buy so (I tell myself) the more the merrier.

JJ
What the hell is that?!

*Steals a couple synths*
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

"the more the merrier" -> no2 secret tip of the happy-merry-birthmas-guide to live a balanced life and become a perfect human being

buy as much products as it takes to slowly forget who you are...and porblem sovled, now you have to prepare for level 3

n + 1, where n is the number of synths you own already. :D

People used to always tell me that you should only have no more than THREE softsynths and then learn them extremely well. And I was dumb enough to believe that sort of forum idiocy for a long time.

When I finally realised that was caring but also the typical wrong-headed advice I went out and bought a whole bunch more of them and learned those all extremely well.

My answer to the thread question: as many synths as you have, plus one more.

Guess it depends what you use synths for.

if you want to be the most productive you don t need much of them except if you like to loose time browsing presets and learning to progam them..i could apply that advice first to me :D but it s true... take the 2 or 3 best softsynth out there you could be fine for makign music for 10 years.. and you would probably make better music with these 2 or 3 sofsynth traped in your studio insteed of going at kvr everyday checking what is new like a drug addict
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Not everyone works the same, though. Some people might get bored looking at the same synth all the time and need to switch it up to stay inspired.

Synthetic Wav wrote:if you want to be the most productive you don t need much of them except if you like to loose time browsing presets and learning to progam them..i could apply that advice first to me :D but it s true... take the 2 or 3 best softsynth out there you could be fine for makign music for 10 years.. and you would probably make better music with these 2 or 3 sofsynth traped in your studio insteed of going at kvr everyday checking what is new like a drug addict
During 2016 so far, I have purchased 8 pieces of hardware and 5 software (one of which was Korg Legacy Collection and one was Analog Lab 2, so one could argue it was 24 softsynths although many of those are very limited in scope) and wrote another (primitive) softsynth myself. Not counting effects.

That's on top of dozens, if not hundreds of plugins I previously owned (not much hardware though).

It's just too bad about my "productivity" though -- I've only completed 42 tracks and two remixes so far, and this is the 34th week of the year. On top of my full time job, and a lot of time spent gaming.

At my current rate I am lucky to make 3-4 a year. I do put a lot into them though. Well I try to. It is no less enjoyable to make 3 or 4 that take a month or 2. I like to take it easy I try not to stress myself.

MarlaPodolski wrote:People used to always tell me that you should only have no more than THREE softsynths and then learn them extremely well. And I was dumb enough to believe that sort of forum idiocy for a long time.

When I finally realised that was caring but also the typical wrong-headed advice I went out and bought a whole bunch more of them and learned those all extremely well.

My answer to the thread question: as many synths as you have, plus one more.
People take the idea of only owning a couple synths as a mantra, when really it's just an exercise for putting constraints onto yourself.

If you need tools to make your job easier, get the tools.

I am stunned you are still discussing this. World wide statistics have already shown that keyboardplayers/producers in average own 3,497812543723 synthesizers. Thus we can conclude that to all people in all contries, within all cultures, contexts, situations and for all possible purposes in past, present and future in this world, the next and all parallel universes that exist or will ever come to exist, should have minimum 3 synths and max 4. Anything above makes you a ressource wasting idiot, anything below, a poor ass that is not to be reckoned with.

And now I am going to report you all for species threatening low-intelligent behavior, making the whole human race vulnerable to the invasion of highly evolved space ants.

Have a nice life and parma ban, friggin degenerates.

Return to “Instruments”