Wasn't Xpand!2 previously Hypersonic 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hypersonic Xpand!2

I swear, I remember reading this some time ago. Bascially the Wizoo sounds broke from Steinberg and found their way to Avid's hands.

bump ?

It was the same team (more or less) but Xpand2 isn't exactly Hypersonic 2 under a different name – it's more that it has lot of the same sound design techniques in the presets and a similar approach.

That is interesting, searched up this review from 10 years ago, that proves it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ste ... personic-2
The only real concern I have about Hypersonic 2 has nothing to do with how well it works: it's about the takeover of developers Wizoo by Digidesign. Some will see this as casting doubts on the long-term future for Hypersonic as a Steinberg product, especially since Digi's new free instrument plug-in Xpand! appears to be closely related to it.
...and Xpand2! got released with PT8 back in 2010

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/xpand

AIR Music Technology started as Wizoo Sound Design, one of the earliest pioneers in virtual instrument technology. The AIR team is responsible for the core of much of the effects offerings in Avid’s Pro Tools software, and also developed a suite of award-winning virtual instruments. Over the years Wizoo developed a number of products Hypersonic, Darbuka, Latigo, Wizooverb W2, and Wizooverb W5 to name a few.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

Are you still based in Bremen, like Wizoo was?

What happened to all the stuff Wizoo made in the past?

I got a copy of the Wizoo Powered Nord (AKAI CD-ROM), loads up fine in Kontakt still :)

Didn't Wizoo develop some really nice low-cost stereo systems for Phillips North America?... and then went on to develope some really high end near-field monitors for Gibson?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

xphen0m wrote:I swear, I remember reading this some time ago. Bascially the Wizoo sounds broke from Steinberg and found their way to Avid's hands.
Avid bought Wizoo in 2005, so (AFAIK.. ) Peter Gorges (who provided Hypersonic sample content via Wizoo) and Paul Kellett (who worked on the Hypersonic engine) moved there, and then Avid released products like Xpand. They were at Avid from 2005-2010 before leaving for ujam.com. So I wouldn't expect some sort of new version of Hypersonic from anyone now.. :(

If you can find the Hypersonic software, the HALion Sonic and HALion 4/5 Syncrosoft keys give you rights to run Hypersonic 2, though Steinberg's own soon-to-be-discontinued bit bridge fails to run it (surprise.. ) and I found it was very unstable via jBridge into Cubase, though I haven't tried that combo again in a long time.

Hypersonic 1 was a bit meh. But version 2 was much improved. I seem to recall, I think it was on KVR, before version 2 there was a post asking why software sample playback engines sounded so "dull and flat" in comparison to the hardware romplers, and Kellett mentioned that he suspected the big three rompler companies were putting some sort of exciter type code on the output path without telling anyone.

So Hypersonic version 2 has an "output hype" setting which defaults to on at about 30%. :tu:

Not that there will ever likely be another version, but I'd pay for a 64 bit update to Hypersonic 2 :pray: I don't consider HALion to be a replacement.. Nice enough in its own right, but Hypersonic 2 was its own thing..

Return to “Instruments”