So it's 2016...what's the best way to sample from YouTube, etc.

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Five years ago, I was using Soundflower -- maybe that's still the way to go. But I'm aware that there are also lots of newer, apparently simpler ways to grab audio from Youtube. But frankly some of them look very skeezy and sketchy, and I'm not sure where to go forward. Soundflower routing was a pain in the ass back when I did it, so I'm eager for something simple...but not something shady.

Thoughts? Are you sampling audio from Youtube and if so, how? I'm on Mac, btw.

thanks!

-Michael

I just download the file with a browser add on

If you're on Mac this is essential

http://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-downloader/

can convert to mp3 too

ere2learn wrote:I just download the file with a browser add on

not sure what a browser add on is.... I use Chrome... link?

On a Mac rogue amoeba hijack pro is boss.

For Firefox there are things like the Videodownloadhelper extension but tbh I find the Mediahuman one more reliable and it works with Vevo content that many browser extensions seem to struggle with.

mholloway wrote: not sure what a browser add on is.... I use Chrome... link?
Its a free addon for firefox,it puts a little download button below videos,lets you choose various file types

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader is the name

You can also use a website like Clipconverter to download videos. It's also possible to just download the audio track.

I used to use Rogue Ameoba Audio Hijack - very nice, it'll hijack audio and record it.

Nowadays I greatly prefer their Loopback program. It works like Hijack, but creates virtual audio interfaces instead of recording. This lets you sample straight from YouTube (or any other program) into your DAW or audio editor. I'm a big fan.

mholloway wrote:not sure what a browser add on is.... I use Chrome... link?
Don't use Chrome - they force all plugins to ensure they can't download from Youtube.... Firefox is your friend for this.

For downloading full video, or full audio, I use Jdownloader. It's main advantage is to be able to set up a cue to download whenever you want, but you can also control the bandwidth. Works on a ton of other sites that allow have embedded downloads. You just drag-and-drop

http://jdownloader.org/download/offline

For clips, and sampling on the fly, I can only speak to mac. There is 'AudioHijack', as others have mentioned. But you really only need soundflower, as that lets you pipe audio into your DAW

For windows...??? :shrug:

Bitwig Certified Trainer

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:For downloading full video, or full audio, I use Jdownloader.
I use jDownloader all the time on Windows as my main download manager. It might be a bit overkill just for downloading audio tracks from YouTube, but if you have a need for a download manager it's worth a look. Only obvious downside is the Java requirement.

If you want to go full geek and use the Terminal, there's youtube-dl. It's probably the tidiest solution but is all done from the command line.

To just record snippets without having to grab the whole track, soundflower still works great.
Image Image Image Image

Yes, JDownloader is great, also for file hosters. Make sure you download version 2 though.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”