Please bring back the Clavia Nord modular

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And on OS-X Yosemite - would like to know if it works on El Cap though.

Is it possible to load patches without the editor?

I've always dreamed of having a nord modular, and the closest I've found (and I'm having great fun with it) is the Open Source Axoloti board. http://axoloti.com

it's much cheaper and as it it open-source, new modules and updates appear quite fast.
I can't say it's a real replacement to the clavia modular, but with a good controller keyboard and some time patching, you can really get great results.

If you have basic soldering skills, adding knobs (14bits resolution) and buttons are very easy. It fits into the DAW as a midi interface (in and out) and offers usb host and external midi in and out too.
The patching interface is simple but efficient (and cosmetic updates are arriving) and patches can be stored to be loaded away from the computer. Mine run on a 5V phone battery pack and uses very little power. It really allows you to have a transportable battery powered modular setup for less than 100$

And I really hope other manufactures look into creating pre-patchable synths (in synth format), maybe even hybrid (with a set number of analog modules and a vast number of digital). That would be really fun, re-patching the whole synth whenever we want

The thing that annoys me about the Axoloti is that the patching isnt realtime (controls are)
You have to construct and then upload it.

Also the audio output level is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally quiet.

Theres the control board available from Music Thing but annoyingly they never seem to be able to sell it without the axoloti (thought the option is there), so those of us that already have an Axoliti are stuffed!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The thing that annoys me about the Axoloti is that the patching isnt realtime (controls are)
You have to construct and then upload it.
yeah, this is partly, so that the code can be optimised by the compiler...
perhaps one day it might be changed...
Also the audio output level is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally quiet.
really? I run it into my mixer, and dont have any issues ...
I run in it at 0db, i.e. no gain, though admittedly perhaps my other hardware is dialled back a bit, though no more than i did before Axoloti, to get a gain structure I was happy with.
Theres the control board available from Music Thing but annoyingly they never seem to be able to sell it without the axoloti (thought the option is there), so those of us that already have an Axoliti are stuffed!
I bought axocontrol from thonk without an axoloti :) - I will say , I did jumped quickly, when thonk got his second batch in, since I missed out on the first batch, whilst i was 'thinking about it'.

also the thonk website is 'misleading', when it says axoloti in stock, actually if you look below, you'll see you can't add to the cart... basically he has axolotis but no axo-control (with or without axoloti)

you might want to ask him if he is going to order some more... I think the 2nd batch also sold out reasonably quickly..

also having built it, I can say, you could just order the PCB from thonk, and then get the rest of the parts elsewhere, they are pretty common parts (and there is a BOM on the thonk site)

as mtyas says, it not a replacement... but an interesting similar concept, which is very cheap...

another option is Bela (bela.io)+ Beaglebone black... which is also cool, but not quite as 'integrated'.
It provides a few options for 'patching' , including C++, PureData or Heavy, Supercollider...
also provides similar hardware integration features as Axoloti.
bit more powerful, but as I say, its a bit more 'raw' ...
I think more useful for creating an instrument/synth, rather than continuous patching, but thats just my take so far from playing with it. (though I have to say delving into Supercollider has been fun!)

disclaimer: I dont really like PureData (Im ok, with Max, but PD I find infuriating), so my judgement of easy patching on Bela is possibly clouded a bit from this. Its partly why I didn't bother with C&G Organelle, which is also another 'option'

Not forgetting Patchblocks, though I will probably sell a few of mine as they don't get much use.
Half the price of Axoloti but not as feature rich and also available as a eurorack module.

I am looking forward to the Euroaxoloti
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Thanks for the info. I'll check this out

How much is the G2 Engine w/- expansion going for these days peeps?
I have it and am about to try and get it to work on Win10.
Darn my cash is not retrievable, coz I paid a ransom.

I think it has a bunch of charm.

Here is an interesting environment that is so similar(nearly 1:1) if you like the interface->
http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/

It's called Wren

Reaktor is a bit different animal IMO, and I suspect they sound different too

VariKusBrainZ wrote:The Nord Editor is working fine for me on Win 10
Yeah. Works fine here on Win 8.1

[quote="nix808"]How much is the G2 Engine w/- expansion going for these days peeps?
[/quote]

To me it sounds a bit outdated and very digital. It would be nice if clavia would build a nord modular3 with updated modules. I would definitely buy it

Return to “Modular Synthesis”