Help needed: Move whole WAVES folder elsewhere?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i am on a computer with one bottleneck - s small ssd for partition c:
now waves is using up 7 gigs of space on this one and i would like to move the whole thing.

Is that even possible?

Sorry for beeing a noob here,

Cyph
Finally!

short answer: no you can not.
Finally!

What specifically is in your Waves folder taking up 7GB of space? I've got a dozen or so Waves plugs and the folder is around 500MB in size.

The likely suspects (taking up space) are samples or impulse responses....

If that's the case, then yes, you can redirect the subfolder using a junction point.

All Waves plugins (I mean, all, including synth VSTis with their samples) are about 2,8 G in total. Impulse library is about 4,8 G. Makes about 7 G in total.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:All Waves plugins (I mean, all, including synth VSTis with their samples) are about 2,8 G in total. Impulse library is about 4,8 G. Makes about 7 G in total.
Okay. Thanks!

So it comes back to the original point... It *should* be possible to move the IR library and samples to a different drive.

I'm not sure if Windows has something like a symbolic link on Mac and Linux but that would do it. It is like a shortcut but the programs don't realize it is a short cut so you can move samples and whatnot to other drives.

on windows you have both the 'actual' waves folder (with plugins, samples, impulses etc) in c:\program files (x86)\waves AND a local installer cache in your %user%\appdata\local\waves audio\ folder - so potentially double the usage you think

you should be able to retarget the entire folders (or at least the sample/ir's) - but it'll require doing it from command prompt level since there's no UI for handling symlinks and junction (equiv to hardlinks) on windows

jdnz wrote:there's no UI for handling symlinks and junction (equiv to hardlinks) on windows
Not by MS, but there's are third-party ones. I'd recommend Link Shell Extension, which simply adds 'mark this as a folder to link', 'drop link here' type operations to the right-click context menu of Explorer.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

cyphersuit wrote:Hi,

i am on a computer with one bottleneck - s small ssd for partition c:
now waves is using up 7 gigs of space on this one and i would like to move the whole thing.

Is that even possible?

Sorry for beeing a noob here,

Cyph

I think I would just uninstall and reinstall in a new location.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: I think I would just uninstall and reinstall in a new location.
That was my first thought too ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
ATS wrote: I think I would just uninstall and reinstall in a new location.
That was my first thought too ...
I didn't think that was possible with Waves Central.

I hate having my software on the C drive so would love for it to be possible.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

No, AFAIK currently it's not possible to install Waves elsewhere. I would also love to have such option.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”