iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

woggle wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:End of sample = end of spectral selection.
and this is not modulateable someone said - they implied none of the sample position stuff is open to modulation. I was hoping to skip the selection and loops around the waveform
?
Well Iris is all about the spectral selection, using it as a sample player without the spectral filter makes no sense really as it's "normal" tools are far too limited.

Harry_HH wrote:
I would keep the spectral selection tools in one hand, and the defining the sample start/end in the other hand, separated. These are two different type of settings.
The later is 'macro-setting', and the spectral selection is 'sound defining setting'.
But this just my logic - but used in many other sampler-instruments as well.
Iris 2 doesn't really follow any kind of common logic available in other sample players.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
woggle wrote:
and this is not modulateable someone said - they implied none of the sample position stuff is open to modulation. I was hoping to skip the selection and loops around the waveform
?
Well Iris is all about the spectral selection, using it as a sample player without the spectral filter makes no sense really as it's "normal" tools are far too limited.
I was hoping one could jump and alter the selection around with modulation or have multiple selections that you jump between

Sampleconstruct wrote:
woggle wrote:
?
I didn't say that I would use Iris2 without the spectral selection. In spite of that, the option of choosing the sample start/end belongs to the fundamental, basic settings. Missing that is annoying. Would be very, very easy to implement and add the logic of the workflow. This would not diminish the 'speciality' of the Iris2, and is not away from anybody.
Why not add that tiny little thing.

But as said, not any deal breaker to me, I will buy the product. As a new owner I have even the duty to give feedback for the product development. 8)

Yes, good luck with your duties, my communication with the developer concerning Iris 2 stopped in March 2015 on their behalf when they decided not to develop this instrument any further and to leave all bugs and niggles as they are. But maybe you are more fortunate than me with your attempts.

I'm not holding out any hope of further development on this - going in, I saw it as an "it is what it is" purchase.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I'm not holding out any hope of further development on this - going in, I saw it as an "it is what it is" purchase.
That's a reasonable approach.

Is there a way to hear or pre-listen to what sections you are selecting or do you just draw them blindly?

macmuse wrote:Is there a way to hear or pre-listen to what sections you are selecting or do you just draw them blindly?
Of course there is, e.g. use the lasso tool, select a region and play a key. Or use the pencil tool for drawing dots, or the vertical/hoizontal tools to select bigger portions, or the magic brush for automatic detection of certain frequencies.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:I'm not holding out any hope of further development on this - going in, I saw it as an "it is what it is" purchase.
To that I'm prepared too - and I guess Iris2 is as "ready" than any randomly chosen plugin instrument, if not on the better side.

But all in all, as a owner of more than half dozen iZotope products, is alarming and sad if the companys major strategy is exploit the innovations made earlier, maybe just in the polished form, collect quick money with some new one-shot products, and not commit in the long-term development of the flagship products, with the end-users. Ozone has not developed much since ver. 5. The RX series is almost the only long term project.
I don't know if this is the case, but can't avoid these kind of thoughs. :?:

You stated this post last November:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
tdm wrote: I see your point, but as v2 was the first version of Iris I purchased, I like what it does . . . warts and all. I have many plugins with bugs / limitations / bad UI design, but if I can get something unique out of them (and I do with Iris 2), that's all I care about.
Yes, that's exactly the point, there is a big difference if a user never used version 1, so all the problems discussed in this thread are of no concern to those users and it's good that they can enjoy version 2 more than we legacy users can - and that is not meant ironically at all.
So are the problems with bugs mainly for v1 users having problems using stuff they made in v1 in v2 ?

Numanoid wrote:You stated this post last November:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
tdm wrote: I see your point, but as v2 was the first version of Iris I purchased, I like what it does . . . warts and all. I have many plugins with bugs / limitations / bad UI design, but if I can get something unique out of them (and I do with Iris 2), that's all I care about.
Yes, that's exactly the point, there is a big difference if a user never used version 1, so all the problems discussed in this thread are of no concern to those users and it's good that they can enjoy version 2 more than we legacy users can - and that is not meant ironically at all.
So are the problems with bugs mainly for v1 users having problems using stuff they made in v1 in v2 ?
Well, bugs are bugs yet some things affect mainly Iris 1 users trying to convert their patches to version 2, some things affect all of us, also the conceptual mistakes in Iris 2.
If you really want to know, here is my list of current issues with Iris 2, which I also posted in the other Iris thread (and send out to my subscribers of Iris sounds) yesterday:

And here is my list with known issues in iris 2, the software was last updated in Decembre 2014 (the update in 2015 was just a El Cap fix for Mac users).

Known issues Iris 2:  

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, numerous workarounds have to be invented to convert Iris 1 patches for Iris 2 patches.

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*If you are re-saving an Iris2 patch with an embedded sample, use the "Export“ function, otherwise the embedded sample will get lost.

Sampleconstruct wrote:CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.
Yeah, it is a big CPU hog, I need to choose mono to be able to play most patches :scared:

Numanoid wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.
Yeah, it is a big CPU hog, I need to choose mono to be able to play most patches :scared:
Due to all the eye candy CPU has practically more than doubled compared to version one, high sample buffers in your DAW are recommended when using Iris 2, even on very fast computers.

Sampleconstruct wrote: the software was last updated in Decembre 2014 (the update in 2015 was just a El Cap fix for Mac users).
What is interesting though when installing is that there is an option to make it look for updates, which also is one of the main options under general options in the menu. It can check Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Never.

So what is the use of that if they never update it? :?
Sampleconstruct wrote:Due to all the eye candy CPU has practically more than doubled compared to version one
Is there a way to resize the GUI? At default it is rather small, just a little bit bigger than Alchemy

If you compare Iris2 to something like UVI Falcon, what is heaviest on the CPU?
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”