AVID Sibelius... Goodbye?! (Not Sibelius' music of course)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got this email from Avid. I've got Sibelius 7.5. Avids upgrade pricing is ABSURD! Does Avid know I can crossgrade to Steinbergs notation software (by the original Sibelius team) for 299 euro at the end of this year?

AVID:
Valued Sibelius Customer:

As we mentioned in a previous email, the price to upgrade to Sibelius 8 with an Avid All Access plan has increased from $89 (USD) to the standard $299 (USD) upgrade pricing. But we'd like to give you one last opportunity to save $100 (USD). Upgrade now for just $199 (USD) through the end of the year and create better looking scores faster, write music organically with a pen, share MP3s of your compositions, and more.

Please be aware that starting on January 1, 2017, the price to move up to Sibelius 8 will increase to the standard $299 (USD) upgrade pricing. Stay current and stay ahead using the music notation software you have come to love. Upgrade today.

Best Regards,
Your Avid Team
Last edited by kiezum on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds a bad policy. I don't have any commercial notation software, I'm using the MuseScore 2 for the scoring, its free and developing fast.
How would you compare Sibelius to other notators such the Finale, Dorico etc.?

P.s. Your thread header is scary: I wouldn't want to say goodbye to all the great Sibelius music.

I use Sibelius for composing and arranging. Sibelius is very good for quickly getting good notation. I think that Dorico will be better. But It will be out at the end of the year.

I'm confused. I thought they ditched that years ago.

That aside, it's a suck deal.

Now there will likely be a ton of people that will start posting about how entitled people are and how it's the users fault :hihi:

Harry_HH wrote: How would you compare Sibelius to other notators such the Finale, Dorico etc.?
The fact is though that top of the range commercial notation software is expensive.
I never liked Sibelius at all or got on with its work-flow, even before Avid started their subscription thing.

The Presonus offering, Notion is awful in my opinion.

I have never tried Dorico.

I couldn't get on with MuseScore at all and found it to be very buggy.
Have you tried the free Finale Notepad ?

https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx

I use Finale PrintMusic and I really like it. I cannot however justify the expense of using the full Finale version which is an eye-watering $600.

Sibelius though seems to be the most popular de facto choice for a lot of people who do large orchestral scoring.
I thought they ditched that years ago.
Nonsense.
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

RockinMillie wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: How would you compare Sibelius to other notators such the Finale, Dorico etc.?
The fact is though that top of the range commercial notation software is expensive.
I never liked Sibelius at all or got on with its work-flow, even before Avid started their subscription thing.

I have never tried Dorico.

I couldn't get on with MuseScore at all and found it to be very buggy.
Have you tried the free Finale Notepad ?

https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx

I use Finale PrintMusic and I really like it. I cannot however justify the expense of using the full Finale version which is an eye-watering $600.

Sibelius though seems to be the most popular de facto choice for a lot of people who do large orchestral scoring.
I thought they ditched that years ago.
Nonsense.
Thank you for the good points. I have to test the Finale Notepad. BTW, even the Cubase's notation feature could possibly satisfy my modest scoring needs, but I'm at the moment with the Live 9. (Previously with the Logic which notation, at that time, were very limited).
MuseScore is, of course, not even near the major commercial products, but the ver. 2 is almost satisfactory, looking forward what the ver. 3 will bring on the table.

Its interesting if the Sibelius is the most popular among professionals, although its been on the market many years shorter time than e.g. the Finale (as I understand).

RockinMillie wrote:

I'm curious about why you don't like Notion. I've been using it and quite like it, although it crashes a lot. But I'm really just a beginner with notation so I'd love to know what someone more experienced thinks is wrong with it.

I've looked at trial versions of Sibelius and Finale but none seemed appealing.

Wallander has a brilliant plugin for Sibelius. I use it a lot. I hope they will also release it for Dorico.

I like Notion on the iPad for quickly writing down idea's or making a simple leadsheet. And MusicXML export is great.

Torchlight wrote:
RockinMillie wrote: The Presonus offering, Notion is awful in my opinion.
I'm curious about why you don't like Notion. I've been using it and quite like it, although it crashes a lot. But I'm really just a beginner with notation so I'd love to know what someone more experienced thinks is wrong with it.

I've looked at trial versions of Sibelius and Finale but none seemed appealing.
I found like you that Notion was very crash-happy. Perhaps it has improved since I demoed it :wink:
It also looked and felt like legacy software to me. I didn't find it as usable as Finale Notepad or Print Music.
It all comes down to personal preference I suppose. Horses for courses and all that.

I did seriously look at Sibelius First (the budget version of Sibelius) and gave it a thorough demoing. I hated the tabbed window work-flow, I found it really annoying. Not only that, it was terrible at notating from real-time midi keyboard input.

I had been using the free Finale Notepad up and till then, but needed more features. So I guess I had got used to the Finale work-flow.
Finale Print Music just fitted with my needs and the real-time input handling was better than Sibelius First in my opinion, so I went with that.

Ok, so it's not "nonsense" as you can easily find remnants of people believing it was after they closed the original shop/team. That's what I was referring to. No surprise "who" though :hihi:

The Village Idiot wrote:Ok, so it's not "nonsense" as you can easily find remnants of people believing it was after they closed the original shop/team. That's what I was referring to. No surprise "who" though :hihi:
"remnants of people" :lol: WTF are you drivelling on about now ?
I suppose you just troll on threads where you have absolutely no knowledge about the subject at hand, just to up your posting stats.
Pathetic. :roll:

avid offer perpetual licenses for the version you buy into..

so in what way is 199 USD more expensive than 299 euro to crossgrade to dorico? Now *i'm* confused.

Sub upkeep is only necessary if you want more than a year's updates.

http://www.avid.com/campaigns/sibelius-8-upgrade

plans look more than fair to me. I only hope they start offering 3 year pro tools subs too! I'd happily pay 299 for that!

I found some stores that still sell the upgrade to Sibelius 8 for $89.

But a 3 year plan for $299 for Sibelius is not fair. Next year it will be $299 for 1 year! Since version 7 there were only minor features added.

Well this article says it very clearly:
http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/to- ... re-update/:

'If you use any version prior to 6, I would recommend you upgrade to 7 or 7.5 before you get trapped in the version 8 licensing scheme. But act quickly, you’ll need to buy 7/7.5 from a retailer who has existing stock since Sibelius is no longer selling those versions.'

BTW, some hot debate is going on about the subject Dorico/Steinberg in the neighbour.

Although nearly half of the comments are cencored ;-) some goods points especially of the need of better integration between the DAW/notator.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... are-2.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”