FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blender and ABY pedals can further add to experimentation. For example, run a 100% wet delay through a distortion and/or chorus, then blend it back with your clean signal.

I'm not a guitar player, but I have a few pedals (I need them for my synths/keyboards).
This is the best part of my collection (the photo has been taken while reorganizing the studio, so they just sit over a rack without any cable):
MoogerFooger_lowres.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

SJ_Digriz wrote: I would think that most of us swap pedals fairly regularly. I don't even do it on some kind of tone quest. Although working through tones is part of it. I just think its fun to mess with different stuff in different orders.
Absolutely. I've decided to go back to basics though and simplify things (well..ish). I'm aiming to have a 'main' board and an experimental one that I can patch into it. My thinking being that I'll always have a set-up to go back to that I know works well. It'll probably end in noise ridden failure :D

that's actually a great idea -- 'stalwart pedals' and then 'pedals of the moment' on the patch-in...

yesterday i chained 14 pedals together. looper, bitcrusher, fuzz x2, drive x2, delay x2, looper, delay, reverb, chorus x3

by the way, those moogerfooger pedals look fantastic. well-built with great graphics and controls layout.

but they're expensive enough that whilst browsing through them, the thought strikes that one could pick up a kustom 100-watt amp with 12" speaker for roughly the cost of one of these, or a fairly nifty new guitar, or say 7 or 8 joyo pedals.

on the other hand, these pedals do seem to fulfill specific functions which a lot of other pieces of gear don't address.

decisions, decisions.... (i mean could you imagine a phreaking filter or ring modulator moogerfooger with an expression pedal?.. wow)

I have a few of the big foogers as well. I use them with my modular synth more than guitar. But even on a pedal board they have a couple of advantages. MIDI controlled parameters and CV/Expression for most parameters. There might be more, but the only other Analog pedals that I know with this level of customization and live control are the Chase Bliss Audio things. Some of the actual Fooger circuits are pretty straight forward and well understood/cloned. But, the addition of all that CV and MIDI control jacks the price up. And of course for some use cases they are perfect and arguably unique.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

The MiniFooger Drive is good in a garage rock kind of way.

What type of filter is on the MiniFooger Overdrive?

SJ_Digriz wrote:the Chase Bliss Audio things.
Thank you! I've been trying to remember this name for a while. :dog:
I'm really interested in the Wombtone mk2 phaser.

justin3am wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:the Chase Bliss Audio things.
Thank you! I've been trying to remember this name for a while. :dog:
I'm really interested in the Wombtone mk2 phaser.
lol, that's the main one I want too.

Xiangqi wrote:What type of filter is on the MiniFooger Overdrive?
There's a 2-pole ladder lowpass filter with fixed resonance (which can be set to +15dB with the peak switch) and a tone control (which focuses the response to a certain part of the spectrum, it can enhance the lows, the mids or the highs). The tone control can't be bypassed, so you can't have a full-bandwidth response as you would with a MF-101 (I found that I lose some of the very low frequencies by setting the tone to a position closer to a full-bandwith response), but I think this it is not a big issue (especially because I noticed this with synths; I think the MF-Drive is voiced more towards guitars, which have a narrower, more focused extension than a synth). And you can always set the tone knob slightly towards the lows and then engage peak and leave the filter open to get a boost on the highs.

Unfortunately it's not a replacement for the MF-101 (the filter on the MF-Drive is a good bonus, but it's not the main focus of the pedal), but it's still a cool tool and when driven it gives a different tone than the MoogerFooger series.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

khanyz wrote:Has anyone got/tried the BBE Sonic Stomp? I want something to bring out a bit more detail in my sound, which is usually booster, overdrive or distortion, and chorus.

My current fave pedals are:

GarageTone Chainsaw - Sets up a tube amp to distort brilliantly, adds a sweetness that cuts through.

Budda ZenMan - Its a new (Peavey) one but still adds a nice edge. Also, the price is great (though not as good as the TC MojoMojo)

EHX Holy Stain - All my acoustic needs in one pedal.

Seymour Duncan Paranormal - Simple set&forget bass DI, just kick in the slap contour for variation.
My first visit to this thread..apologies if someone has answered re: BBE Sonic Stomp. I have one and love it. It's a pedal that is permanently on and first in any effects chain I'm using (after the tuner) including my Line6 Helix. Just buy it, you will not regret the purchase.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

This beast is arriving on Wednesday (hopefully)
Every clip I've heard sounds great. It also has 3 fx loops....

werp wrote:This beast is arriving on Wednesday (hopefully)
holy moly, I don't know that it qualifies as a "stomp box" anymore. :hihi:

SJ_Digriz wrote:
werp wrote:This beast is arriving on Wednesday (hopefully)
holy moly, I don't know that it qualifies as a "stomp box" anymore. :hihi:
Designed and built by the dude responsible for the 5150 amp...among many others

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”