Gothic Suite: Grab your eyeliner!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Part of Léon Boëllmann's Gothic Suite, originally written for the pipe organ in 1895. It took some work, but I think I've found a sound that's shiny and new, yet retains the dark and dank of a pipe organ. It should play nicely into your fantasies of moonlight on ruined castles and overgrown cemeteries (or blood sucking, if that's your thing).

As usual, SoundCloud's 128 kbps transcode sounds a little tinny compared to the original, so downloads are enabled for the 320 kbps version.

Oh yeah, feedback would be appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-danger/gothic-suite
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Show Signatures (No)

nice midi track, however the low end was somewhat muddy and the mids piercing. perhaps due to heavy brickwall limiting. This would have sounded much better with more dynamic range.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The timing is all over the place...but if it was entered in real time, it's clearly a hard piece to play so I can understand.
The e-piano sounds mainly like a plug-in version of the 1970 RMI Piano.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

The brickwall limiting on this track was actually rather light. I went back and looked at Elephant's graph to be sure. Except for a handful of spots that reached -3 dB, the limiting never went over -2 dB.

I chased down any potentially offensive frequencies using two different headphones and an FFT analyzer. I was able to turn this up quite loud on my equipment without any ringing or sibilance.

I listened to some sound samples of that 1970 RMI piano, and I do see the resemblance. It was however a patch I made from scratch in Massive using its virtual analog oscillators and the "daft" filter.
User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Show Signatures (No)

Eric Danger wrote:The brickwall limiting on this track was actually rather light.
hmmm. you call a 4.6 average reading on the DR meter "light compression"? ooooook.
to each his own, carry on ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
Eric Danger wrote:The brickwall limiting on this track was actually rather light.
hmmm. you call a 4.6 average reading on the DR meter "light compression"? ooooook.
to each his own, carry on ;)
THAT I call "loud". I don't use a brickwall limiter as a compressor. What is "light" is what the limiter had to squash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nice track. :D

I hadn't heard of Monsieur Boëllmann before listening to this piece, so you have scored points in an educational sense. I could imagine this being used as a score for a horror/suspense/action film, or indeed, silent movies in general. I would have liked to hear more dynamics in the volume here, not necessarily in relation to limiting, more in terms of having some volume contrasts in the music. It does have quite a full-on vibe and some more pronounced volume/pace contrasts might help to ease the tension a little.

Good work :)

Thank you!

I do tend to go at a track "full on" if I don't have an actual target audience for the music (like the viewers of some cinematic masterpiece ;) ). The uneased tension is just me leaking through. Didn't there used to be a "crazy" smilie?

Nicely done. This is perfect for this stormy morning.
It sounds creepy and dark, I'm not familiar with the author, but the synth sound you designed is effective and I guess it is an appropriate alternative to a church organ with a more edgy and modern feel.
I'm happy I stumbled into this one
:tu:

Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”