August Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

August is almost upon us! I have some ideas for next month's theme, but as they aren't very good, I wanted to open it up to the group for suggestions and topics. :)
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Suggestions:

Something Shakespearean, it being the 400th year since he died.
Something inspired by the creation story of your choice of religion.
Something inspired by the 'end of days' scenario from a religion of your choice.
Simplicity - beauty without complexity.
Something using 'unorthodox' scales or microtonality.
Composition featuring 'found sounds'.
Music inspired by the Olympics.

kryptonaut wrote:Suggestions:

Something inspired by the 'end of days' scenario from a religion of your choice.
Aphrodite ´s Child already managed a quite amazing double album on that subject over 40 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcAnMTHuNNk
Last edited by ClaRago on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesome suggestions, Krypto! I have a feeling after the complexity of this month, a little simplicity would be welcome.... simple but not necessarily orthodox -- if we want to bring in a little microtonality action or found sounds, I'm down. Anyone else feeling it? We can do Shakespeare next month, as I like that idea, too.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

kryptonaut wrote:Suggestions:

Something Shakespearean, it being the 400th year since he died.
Something inspired by the creation story of your choice of religion.
Simplicity - beauty without complexity. :tu:
Something using 'unorthodox' scales or microtonality. :tu:
Composition featuring 'found sounds'.
Music inspired by the Olympics. :tu:
These are all good themes Krypto, but I found most appropriate for this August, those in bold

Other than that, I have a list of suggestions myself, but maybe a couple of those had been already used... :shrug:

- Maximalism (complex arrangement)
- No lead lines (with instruments)
- Trascend definitions (beyond any recognizable genre)
- Alien religion hymn
- Tv/Radio-Ad music (advertise an item = music for a commercial)
- Inspired by a dream
- Futuristic / Time Machine (future sound of Kvr)
- Transition (changing mood/arrangement/style/genre/sound,etc)
- Hypnotic

If I have to choose just one it'll be simplicity

Cheers

I like the idea of doing some Olympic themed music - very appropriate for this particular month. The simplicity idea is a good one, too, but that could be done any month.

Simplicity works for me too :tu:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I like simplicity too.

Well, if you got 15 entries this month (and IMO a rather interesting range of pieces) maybe it would make sense to continue to do whatever you've been doing... simple or challenging. :tu:

That said, it probably makes sense to follow the recommendations of those who have been participating recently.

The thing that rather tweaks my nose, is that we've never had simplicity as a theme. It could actually make the contest extremely interesting

For example, someone could decide to compose a moderately complex tune, but play it on just one string of a guitar, or maybe sing something with a very small (easy to reach) range, but full of tongue-twisters.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I agree. It could be tricky
:hihi:

Hi all
how about music with a comical sound to it? Something that will make listeners giggle, smile or just laugh.

Ummm.
This needs to be made a sticky :hihi:

I'm voting "Simplicity"

Return to “Music Cafe”