Is Iris2 spectral editing different to Iris 1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Iris2 is very cheap but I have Iris 1 already. I am not so interested in the modulation changes, more in the spectral editing. Is there any difference between the two versions as far as spectral editing and playback goes

eg brushes work differently, or maybe can now jump between non-contiguous areas. Things like that

thanks, woggle

woggle wrote:Iris2 is very cheap but I have Iris 1 already. I am not so interested in the modulation changes, more in the spectral editing. Is there any difference between the two versions as far as spectral editing and playback goes

eg brushes work differently, or maybe can now jump between non-contiguous areas. Things like that

thanks, woggle
No, it's the same, nothing was changed in version 2 concerning the editing of the spectral filter, check out the big Iris 2 thread for more info.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=425374

And here is my list with known issues in iris 2, the software was last updated in Decembre 2014.

Known issues Iris 2:  

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, numerous workarounds have to be invented to convert Iris 1 patches for Iris 2 patches.

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*If you are re-saving an Iris2 patch with an embedded sample, use the "Export“ function, otherwise the embedded sample will get lost.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

thanks for that - I had a look at that thread and noticed your (quite reasonably) scathing comments :)
I will stick with Iris1 then (which I bought secondhand for hardly anything) In some ways I am using it to replace (and improve on) spectral editing in the old Audition which no longer works on Win10 unless you subscribe - which I don't.

woggle wrote:thanks for that - I had a look at that thread and noticed your (quite reasonably) scathing comments :)
I will stick with Iris1 then (which I bought secondhand for hardly anything) In some ways I am using it to replace (and improve on) spectral editing in the old Audition which no longer works on Win10 unless you subscribe - which I don't.
Scathing comments = quite mild in relation to the way I felt about this for a while; I couldn't care less now, time moves on, iZotope do as they like anyway, with or without my scathing comments. :phones:

With all that said, Iris 2 is still a great instrument capable of some lovely sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFy0CP ... uQKe5SudQj

ha - I just started playing your great sound, forgetting to stop the Magnificats & motets demo from Hyperion I was listening to via an email so I had a bit of the 16th and a bit of the 21st centuries in tandem . Works a treat :)

Return to “Instruments”