Peavey ReValver 4 - ACT Combo and ACT Rack released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HeadRush ReValver

Chickenman wrote:Got to try this out quickly with a boss GT5 preset (rocking that vintage gear haha)

Lot of noise whenever I plug my interface into the pedal but I haven't even begun to troubleshoot that yet. Thankfully revalver does a noise pass for phase cancellation so it's no problem in the model.

https://soundcloud.com/postalpro/gt5-rect

Signal chain - Boss GT5 (with cabinet model) - Ashdown bass practice amp (MP3 input) - zoom H1 (mono out)

So definitely much less than Ideal but I have no XLRs on hand and even then I only have an AT2020 available.

So impressed though, not necessarily with the tone, but with how close the model is, and how it plays.
There's something off in the low-mids. The modeled amp, just like in the official videos, has too much mud.. and the mud isn't "dynamic" in the way the real amp seems to be.

I don't think it sounds good at all to be frank.. but I'd have to play the thing to give any real critique though. Touch and reaction to picking is at least as important as the actual tone itself.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I will reserve full judgement until I have modelled a few actual amps, so far modelling 20yo COSM models is working pretty well, I am yet to try modelling from a prerecorded .wav or similar.

We have different ears though, you love Thermionik whereas I found them meh.

It's really hard to objectively evaluate the source vs modelled (in my particular example) as the noise masks frequencies, they clearly sound different but I felt the model sounded better with a low end bump that more closely resembled what I hear when I play in my room.

It wont replace any gear I own, but for the price and to my ears it's as capable as any other modelling software/hardware I have tried/heard. I look forward to dragging my laptop around and annoying people while I steal their tone muhahahahaha... well near enough.
I play guitar

Anybody tried profilling something that isn't a guitar amp ?
Duh

Chickenman wrote:I will reserve full judgement until I have modelled a few actual amps, so far modelling 20yo COSM models is working pretty well, I am yet to try modelling from a prerecorded .wav or similar.

We have different ears though, you love Thermionik whereas I found them meh.

It's really hard to objectively evaluate the source vs modelled (in my particular example) as the noise masks frequencies, they clearly sound different but I felt the model sounded better with a low end bump that more closely resembled what I hear when I play in my room.

It wont replace any gear I own, but for the price and to my ears it's as capable as any other modelling software/hardware I have tried/heard. I look forward to dragging my laptop around and annoying people while I steal their tone muhahahahaha... well near enough.
I modelled my Laney IRT, and it came out almost spot on. Way better than Bias Amp. I have yet to really find some good .wav files to test, but so far, as long as your source is impeccable, your profile should be pretty good. I am anxious to see the new presets that Jose Luiz from Peavey will release in the amp store. This way we can hear some professionally made profiles. I would love to see 3rd party companies jump on this

bungle wrote:Anybody tried profilling something that isn't a guitar amp ?
Why?

n/m

vertibration wrote:
Why?
Things like microphones/preamps would be better off modelled through ACT Rack, which is (afaict) more straight up eq matching.

As to the why.. well, I heard impulse responses are pretty popular, in theory you can model just a cab sound if you go straight into the return on your amp etc. You could model just the preamp section of your amp if you come out the send as well. Not sure if that's the best way to do it but it is one way that you might seek to save your sounds.

Lots of reasons why you would want to model other things - distortion pedals are pretty popular with the folks as well.
I play guitar

I'm sure I'm screwing up some part of the process but it's still pretty cool. Just for getting into the ballpark of a guitar sound I want it's doing a great job.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

vertibration wrote:
Why?
A little thing called experimenting, are you in a cover band by any chance ?
Duh

No I write only original music..... regarding the ACT Combo, I am definitely having issues matching .wav files. They do not seem to play very nice. Still trying though.....

and regarding "experimenting", the ACT combo is not going to match, or sound like any other source you try to match that is not an amp. So lets say you wanna match a synthesizer, or vocal....thats just not going to work at all because the ACT Combo is essentially an amp, with amp characteristics.

If you wanna match other things, use XFER SERUM wavetable synth. That matches the wavetable you input, and the LFO can stream across the source to sound like whatever you put into it

Since I own this, I'll try the "act" and see what happens.

Being close minded as to whether experimentation is worthwhile or effective without actually taking the time to trial it yourself whilst simultaneously discouraging others from doing so is an interesting way to .. well.. be .. stink.
I play guitar

I'm not quite clear on this. If I'm going to get the Combo, what is the Rack needed for?

Chickenman wrote:Being close minded as to whether experimentation is worthwhile or effective without actually taking the time to trial it yourself whilst simultaneously discouraging others from doing so is an interesting way to .. well.. be .. stink.
Im not discouraging anyone. Its just common sense that this plug in wont replicate other sounds in that way. Its always going to sound like an amp.

Return to “Effects”