Tan by Acustica-Audio (Free Compressor)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAN

One of the exciting new features that is new to software is what we call “ShMod”. This is a shape control for the attack behavior of the compressor. It allows you to fine-tune the attack shape so you can really customize the attack behavior for any audio source!
32-bit & 64-bit VST/AU/AAX plugin formats for Windows & Mac OS

edit- Link would be handy

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189
Last edited by ere2learn on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waiting for the compression nerds to approve quality... :D

Still too CPU heavy for my taste, Core8 or not.
It's easy if you know how

It's stable even at extreme settings and has an attack modulation parameter similar to what's in the Empirical Labs Arouser.

I love the GUI look! Got to test it, Thanks :D

chk071 wrote:Waiting for the compression nerds to approve quality... :D
It's definitely up there in the "best freebie compressor ever" category. This is a ridiculously generous gift from Acustica Audio.

Definitely worth trying out.

Just make sure you do NOT trust the gain reduction metering. Take it as hardware metering usually is.. very inaccurate and slow. You may not think you have compression going on even though you do several dB of it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:Just make sure you do NOT trust the gain reduction metering.
Agreed. It might as well be static. I like that it looks like my old Orban compressor but it's pretty useless aside from that. ;)

Is it just me or is this compressor kind of ... boring? :shrug:

Kinda subtle, transparent, slow, a bit dark even. Maybe I'm too used to hyped stuff like 1176's and Superchargers and whatnot.

Just installed and haven't messed around with it yet, but it comes with 2 versions. Latency and no latency. However, the no latency version does have latency :lol: Just less than the latency version. At least on my system..
Play it by ear

Liero wrote:Is it just me or is this compressor kind of ... boring? :shrug:

Kinda subtle, transparent, slow, a bit dark even. Maybe I'm too used to hyped stuff like 1176's and Superchargers and whatnot.
Not a lot of character but the actual gain reduction is smoother than most plugins. On a drum buss, I like the way it grabs the kick without making the other drums pump too badly. Also, like with a lot of Acustica stuff, you really have to push it hard to hear what it's doing.

For comparison sake, MJUC is much darker but has similarly smooth gain reduction.

pheeleep wrote:Just installed and haven't messed around with it yet, but it comes with 2 versions. Latency and no latency. However, the no latency version does have latency :lol: Just less than the latency version. At least on my system..
I think someone once told me the zero latency versions use less CPU.

Uncle E wrote:
pheeleep wrote:Just installed and haven't messed around with it yet, but it comes with 2 versions. Latency and no latency. However, the no latency version does have latency :lol: Just less than the latency version. At least on my system..
Isn't it usually the other way around? Why would anyone want to use a higher latency version at all if this was the case?

Uncle E wrote:
Liero wrote:Is it just me or is this compressor kind of ... boring? :shrug:

Not a lot of character but the actual gain reduction is smoother than most plugins. On a drum buss, I like the way it grabs the kick without making the other drums pump too badly. Also, like with a lot of Acustica stuff, you really have to push it hard to hear what it's doing.

For comparison sake, MJUC is much darker but has similarly smooth gain reduction.
I'm a very happy MJUC owner and on it the very nice sounding tone control can be used to add sparkle or warmth. MJUC also has way, way lower CPU usage so it kinda wipes the floor, but then again it does that to compressors costing ten times as much and this is a freebie, so no complaints :)

Liero wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
Isn't it usually the other way around? Why would anyone want to use a higher latency version at all if this was the case?
I am sure that's what he meant. His mind played a trick on him. I just think it's funny that they named it ZF (Zero latency) instead of LF (Less Latency) :lol: I have a lot of plugins that have zero latency, and they actually have 0 latency :ud:
Play it by ear

At first glance I thought the ratio knob didn't seem to work correctly.
I got more compressed sound at 2:1 than at 4 or 8:1...but according to the developer it is just the normal behavior under certain conditions. See the discussion below.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... an#p104671

I've never had a compressor plugin that behaves like this one anyway.. :ud:

Return to “Effects”