Best vst for Supersaw?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JP-4c

Cinebient wrote:Sunrizer.
My first and only choice if i "just" need a supersaw sound closest to JP8000.
Ditto. Sunrizer has a nice full sound for that particular arena. To me it naturally sounds thick and lush without actually needing a whole lot of tweaking. Dune 2 is also very capable, but does thin out a bit, and usually (depending on what you want to do) requires some adjusting to give it more bulk.

Red meat.

nvmd

I wish that Roland would re-release this beast properly. There just isn't a perfect substitute for the hardware version. Sure all of these come close in some way, or can replicate a few particular patches very well, but it will never function exactly like the 8000 or 8080. I've tried every emulation or inspired-by plugin that's based around the 8000. I've had the 8000 and 8080, two different times. I love the sound, but I hate how cumbersome it is to use the different parts, and how crazy the midi seems to work. I'd never let go (again) of the hardware if it wasn't so weird to use. But so far, that sound just can't be emulated. I hope one day it can be, even with some sort of re-release or hardware pretender.

It's also possible to use something like a multistage chorus to transform a simple saw into a supersaw. In this example, I used ÜberMod on a simple filtered saw from Zebra. You can hear the dry sound at the beginning. I obviously got a little bit carried away with the ÜberMod settings towards the end :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/nerdmcboon/supersaw

commodore wrote:I wish that Roland would re-release this beast properly. There just isn't a perfect substitute for the hardware version. Sure all of these come close in some way, or can replicate a few particular patches very well, but it will never function exactly like the 8000 or 8080. I've tried every emulation or inspired-by plugin that's based around the 8000. I've had the 8000 and 8080, two different times. I love the sound, but I hate how cumbersome it is to use the different parts, and how crazy the midi seems to work. I'd never let go (again) of the hardware if it wasn't so weird to use. But so far, that sound just can't be emulated. I hope one day it can be, even with some sort of re-release or hardware pretender.
This post exemplifies what I always talk about. If you have a piece of hardware that's the cornerstone of your music, keep it. I have a couple too. Not digital synths, but analogs. I can't quantify it, but there's something about them that no software does quite right.

But... The supersaw thing was never a big deal for me. I don't ever want to encourage anyone to put their hands in the air. :hihi: So, for me any number of software synths do a fine job. Try and take my ATC-X away from me and I'll kick you in the groin. :clown:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Making gentle plucks is easier than making full-blown lead which is bright and sharp, but still gentle and beautiful at the same time. This is quite unique property or Roland I always want to reproduce.

...just tried to post some examples, but Youtube quality is not sufficient :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I like the different tuning modes in Dune2 for creating Supersaws. An another choice for these is Blaukraut Charlatan.
And reverb...and compressor...and compressor again....

But i´m allways impressed what sounds are generated by the supersaw which are not come with typical Hardstyle leads...
The Intropad from rattys sunrise or the padsound from trance atlantic which sounds with open filter very special.
https://youtu.be/hPPyPmE_jr4?t=116

just use anything with 6 or 7 saw oscillators and use a $h** load of reverb, chorus and delay like the dude above this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

if this i5 is still relevant

a sawtooth has the most harmonics, that's a fact
in signal theory, whether you like its sound or not...
tremendous of harmonics doesn't mean good sounding, it can sound harsh and horrible, try to hard clip a full blown guitar chord without any filtering or amp emulator, you must be masochist to say you like.
square wave has infinite number of odd harmonics also, and to me it sounds so boring by itself only.
so, the amount of harmonics is not all. we could speak infinitely to theorize what harmonics content sound good, no answer afaik. even there are rules like 1/3, 1/5, doubles...

supersaw is not only leads but used in all modern , less than 20yo sounds in bass, plucks, pads... it was big step in synth sounds, that's a fact too.

now i love that supersaw especially in LuSH-101.
it's great. sadly it doesn't do the analogy sounds and couldn't compare at all to the sh 01 sounds. D16 just misspelled their synth name. but it's still my most beautiful, modern, natural, warm sounding synth

have tried those supersaw diva
it was supposed to be analogy and supersaw and it's nothing of both, it sounds so-so and. with serum it's sounds so sterile and lifeless.. sylenth1 was pionneer but a bit old now, too thin, no depth, low harmonic content, low dynamic to my ear

would have loved a tal bassline or tal uno lx turned supersaw, keeping that analogy sound with supersaw
but probably that's not possible to make supersaw sound like analog. because to sound analog, you must make those oscillators fluctuate and their pitch a bit instable, and that would lead to a mush noise of sound when pushed supersaw, almost random noise ! that's why jp8000 was more or less digital oscillator, to have supersaw with many waves ( let's say 5) detuned you need stable digitally oscillator. i'm sure, i studied that quite lot with highly theorical knowledge ( i'll be fighted saying that haha ) even not coding vst myself.
also to not sound as harsh-aliased as original jp8000, one simple trick is to orversample which is why many good sounding supersaw synth are cpu hog.

about the "trick" to put multiple mono synth to emulate supersaw i'm sorry that wouldn't sound supersaw.... at all. you must detune before filter ( and obviously before envelop ) otherwise you'll just have a phasey un-natural harmony effect. remember those weird 80's digital harmonizers, sounded robotics, i dislike. but you may like of course !! Madonna's greatests hits where created using harmonizers, but i digress.

so, big hands for good old LuSH-101.
even it's still cpu hog today, slow to start, and very far from sounding analog like a sh01.

omnispehere jp8000 sounds are really good too. it's cheated, as omnisphere is a rompler disguised in a synth, but it's sound nice, and usable in a song.

LuSH-101 is what came to my mind when I saw the thread title. With the caveat that I am not as familiar with windows only synths like the Szabo ones.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

tedelam wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:17 amnow i love that supersaw especially in LuSH-101.
it's great. sadly it doesn't do the analogy sounds and couldn't compare at all to the sh 01 sounds. D16 just misspelled their synth name. but it's still my most beautiful, modern, natural, warm sounding synth

have tried those supersaw diva
it was supposed to be analogy and supersaw and it's nothing of both, it sounds so-so and. with serum it's sounds so sterile and lifeless.. sylenth1 was pionneer but a bit old now, too thin, no depth, low harmonic content, low dynamic to my ear

would have loved a tal bassline or tal uno lx turned supersaw, keeping that analogy sound with supersaw
but probably that's not possible to make supersaw sound like analog.
Did you try Hive2? Urs mentioned in a post, that the unison was modelled with analogue behaviours in mind. I noticed before that Hive sounds different, I just didn't know what it was.

viewtopic.php?p=8144033#p8144033

Still Spire for me.

If that matters, 6 years after this thread's creation. :)

I am going to do a comparison demo track now comparing up to 20 of my synths.

Return to “Instruments”