Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm pretty sure he wouldn't mod a prophet-6 heheh

barryfell wrote:The new Korg Sound Librarian and presets for Minilogue just came out: http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthes ... ntents.php
Thanks, mate.

And to Korg for providing them. The onbard bread and butter sound were not exactly a selling point imo. Minilogue is tuned towards modern sound, not Juno, Jupiter or obx stuff.

Still stunned that most complaints in this thread have been about some more or less insignificant clicks and not that randomly psychotic white noise generator/bit chrusher excuse for a #%*€+]{ ^ delay. Whatever these clicks did or do cannot be worse than this.

Come on Takahashi. You are my friggin hero. Have you ever heard it with headphones? Should have used the space for something else.

Though, it is still a great synth, when you turn the horror off.

IncarnateX wrote:
barryfell wrote:The new Korg Sound Librarian and presets for Minilogue just came out: http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthes ... ntents.php
Thanks, mate.

And to Korg for providing them. The onbard bread and butter sound were not exactly a selling point imo. Minilogue is tuned towards modern sound, not Juno, Jupiter or obx stuff.

Still stunned that most complaints in this thread have been about some more or less insignificant clicks and not that randomly psychotic white noise generator/bit chrusher excuse for a #%*€+]{ ^ delay. Whatever these clicks did or do cannot be worse than this.

Come on Takahashi. You are my friggin hero. Have you ever heard it with headphones? Should have used the space for something else.

Though, it is still a great synth, when you turn the horror off.
I love the lofi delay. If The Harvestman sold that delay as a eurorack module, along with some flowery prose about how they'd misappropriated some vintage chip which was never designed for audio processing, we'd all be lining up to fork over our money.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The key word in that statement is 'module'. As the sole delay in a fixed architecture synth like this, it is a piss poor choice for most people - I would wager. It was a piss poor choice in the volca keys too as far as I'm concerned ... such delay should never have made it past the monotron gadgets.

Ymmv.

God bless america.

I'm with you guys on the delay but I do understand when people say they can use a pedal or a plugin for a perfectly clean one.

Minilogue filter comparison:

https://youtu.be/2ABGxQZ_3rI
바보

Deleted

Must be trying to increase my post count
Last edited by bftucker on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
바보

Minilogue filter compared with DSS-1 and Mopho it should read :neutral:d
바보

Got my Minilogue a few days ago. So far, I think it's a great synth.

With that said definitely agree 100% with the negative comments about the delay section. As much as I like 'vibey' delays and have never obsessed about noise... there's just too way too much noise at higher settings/when you have multiple notes playing for this to be as useable a feature as it might have been. With that said, what could realistically be done about that at this point? It's hard to imagine a fix.

It's nice for the odd thing and workable for others, but definitely a very poor choice for a workhorse delay for a polysynth.

deastman wrote:I love the lofi delay. If The Harvestman sold that delay as a eurorack module, along with some flowery prose about how they'd misappropriated some vintage chip which was never designed for audio processing, we'd all be lining up to fork over our money.
Certainly glad on behalf of Takahashi that some think it is a great idea, but the only thing I am lining up for is to put an end to it's misery with a
double barreled shotgun.....which would turn out to be a bad idea in the end, because it is attached to the rest of minilogue, but that is another story.

I could even do with a real lo-fi 12 bit or something digital delay, but this thing is nothing like a delay. It is a brain-fryer from outer space.

To balance my criticism of the delay...

Most pleasant surprise so far is the sequencer. This thing is great. The way it works with the synth as an integrated modulation source is brilliantly conceived and implemented.

Big tick in the box for Korg coming up with a clever, useful feature that opens up interesting musical possibilities.

bftucker wrote:Minilogue filter comparison:

https://youtu.be/2ABGxQZ_3rI
Different needs and tastes of course. For pure preference, I personally prefer the minilogue filter out of the three, at least in the samples provided. In some other context, might prefer something else.

It reinforces my old preference for a well-done 2 pole filter. The opinion was made so many years ago I had begun to doubt its validity. Figuring some listening should be done to make sure of the preference.

I could imagine getting as much or more use out of the minilogue 2 pole than the 4 pole. The minilogue also does resonance nicely in two pole mode. Unless the video-maker somehow messed up the mopho 2 pole recordings, it sounds like the mopho 2 pole resonance is almost "broken".

I'm finally ready to update the a Firmware with the new release. Held off for a long time!

The question I have, is do I need to Download the USB Driver for my Mac Book? I thought I asked this before but can't find it, but I thought I didn't since I'm only plugging it in directly and that just uses Core Midi.

I see the directions say to download the driver, but if it is not needed or creates problems on the Mac I don't want to download it.

JCJR wrote:Unless the video-maker somehow messed up the mopho 2 pole recordings, it sounds like the mopho 2 pole resonance is almost "broken".
All the DSI products that used the "Synth on a chip" solution (i.e. Evolver to Prophet 12?) sound like that in the 2-pole mode. It's not broken, it's just how it was designed afaik. I agree that the resonance is very subtle in 2-pole mode, but I personally like it's character - it's different.

I'm desperate to replace the knobs. anyone knows what type I should get ? I bought some cheap random ones but didn't fit although the size was correct. something to do with the base type.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”