Saturn 1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone got this? It's $10 so thinking about it :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/saturn- ... ic/details
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Normally $99.90? Are they serious? The demo sounds aren't impressing me- I'd been thinking "maybe the oscillators are what makes this payware", since there's limited/bog-standard modulation options, but judging from the sound demos, it's just wishful thinking on the part of the devs. Slathering demos in FX never bodes well, and while I can actually appreciate the back-to-basics notion behind Saturn and its GUI, there's plenty of freeware that does what it does and does it better. I'd like to encourage the devs to keep at it, but to be far more realistic about what's out there. Also does not help that clicking "VST Instruments" on their website leads to a 404.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Had seen this fpr teh first time now and the 10$ seem to be for teh Alpha version so don' expect it to be bug free.

Having a lok at thhe GUI i first thought about a Jupiter 6 emulation (due to the multimode filter and the design) but the features seem to be far fro ma Jupiter. Of course also te name "Saturn" somehow point to being some kind of Jupiter inspired synth whie it seems to miss a lot from both a Jupiter 6 or 8.

It has 4 oscillators but i do not see Osc Sync, cross modulation or even variable Pulse and/or PWM.

The LFO only seems to be rotable to overall Pitch and Cutoff.

Overall it does not look very impressive so far IMO and i am not really interested in testing this, especially if i have to pay for testing the Alpha...

If i want a Jupiter emulation i would stay with Arturia Jupiter 8V v3 or Diva at the moment (while even those are not perfect yet...). While it doe snot have 4 Oscs Even the free OBXD should be better than Saturn 1 (and OBXD even has zero delay feedback filters).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Just listened to the demo sounds and...not impressed. Sounds cheesy and cheap. Wouldn't download it even if it was for free.

sounds like a maize sample engine synth to me, meh..... :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xITJ43rTp00
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My experience:
-The synth got many bugs still, so it is not the finished version
-The presets it ships with are kind of lame, it is capable of a lot better than those
-The GUI is rather horrible, but the plug is low on CPU at least.

At this point only an item to buy for those who are interested in exploring, and believe the dev will develop it to the end. It is not a plug that will fit into a mix instantly at this time.

I think there can be no doubt that outlay wise Arturia Jupiter V served as more than inspiration for Saturn, in FL Studio it is like a 1:1 match sizewise, and many elements are more or less the same

Numanoid wrote: I think there can be no doubt that outlay wise Arturia Jupiter V served as more than inspiration for Saturn, in FL Studio it is like a 1:1 match sizewise, and many elements are more or less the same
As i tried to mention above I guess the name "Saturn" should be already some hint that is is inspired by a Jupiter, at least the design... :)
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Both yes and no, Roland also made Saturn organ synths

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/saturn9.php

Roland seemed to like using names of planets and their moons (Jupiter, Saturn, Juno, Pro Mars...).

Juno is also the name one of the moons of the planet Jupiter.

Currently Juno is also the name of a NASA mission for exloring the planet Jupiter over a longer time:
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html
FWIW the Juno space probe recently entered the orbit of Jupiter.

For Reaktor there is an Ensemble called "Uranus":
https://www.native-instruments.com/de/r ... /show/189/
Ingo Weidner

I bought it on the strength of it having 4 oscillators (and the price!) without looking too closely at the images. It looked like it was based on something by Roland.

The installer didn't give any feedback while running. It installed the stand-alone version and 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the VST3 plugin. If there are VSTi plugins, I haven't found them yet. The VST3 plugin works fine with Reaper.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play with it so far. There aren't many modulation options available; the LFO can be applied to oscillator pitch or to the filter. The fine tuning knobs seem to have the fully counterclockwise position as the zero point, suggesting that tuning is in one direction only. I haven't noticed any effect when I turn them, though.

I'll have to make a more serious effort to create some sounds and see how it goes.

mhale wrote:The installer didn't give any feedback while running. It installed the stand-alone version and 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the VST3 plugin. If there are VSTi plugins, I haven't found them yet.
In my case the VSTi 2 plugs automatically got installed here:

The 64 bit plug got installed in Program Files\VstPlugIns\FAIT CLIC
The 32 bit plug got installed in Program Files (x86)\VstPlugIns\FAIT CLIC

These are the same folder that Waves have used previously to install their WaveShell dll's

layzer wrote:sounds like a maize sample engine synth to me, meh..... :p
VST3, so not made with Maize Sample for sure.

My bad! The Program Files\VstPlugins folder wasn't being scanned at all by my setup and only the VST3 version appeared in the list so I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks for the correction!

It produces some sort of clicking sound that I don't like at all :(

Well it is made by Fait Clic

Return to “Instruments”