Eiosis releases/revives E2Deesser

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These news will probably find it's way to KVR the next days eventually, but for those that have an eye on GearSlutz, or the developer itself...

http://www.eiosis.com/e2deesser
http://us5.campaign-archive.com/?u=f5dc ... 388f4bd341
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... e-now.html

official homepage wrote:e2deesser - our ultimate De-essing tool

The e2deesser is very simple to use with its two main parameters, Sensitivity and Amount, and by adding great sounding, unique and innovative fine adjustments, by giving access to precise sound sculpting options, we combined the best visual feedback with the most advanced audio processing in one beautiful interface.

The e2deesser meets all the demands of the simplest to the most advanced de-essing tasks: it is your ultimate de-essing tool.
Price: currently sold for 99USD as intro price, MSRP is 149USD, free for former users (see quote below)
Availability: Now (via the developer), E2Deesser is also part of the Slate Digital Everything Bundle Subscription model
Copy Protection Scheme: the plugin needs the iLok2 USB key
Manual: freely available (see download page on the Eiosis page)

Regarding the free upgrade, a quote from Fabrice Gabriel over on GS
Fabrice Gabriel wrote:At last, the owners of a license of the former version will receive an email with a free license shortly.

What is this about? (in my own words)

E2Deesser was one of the first commercial/widely accessible "Dynamic EQ" concepts, specialized in De-Essing. This concept has now been further developed with an overhauled GUI (incl. Spectrogram view), and new detection mode algorithms (9 in total: Solo Vocals, Background Vocals, Voice Over, Guitar Squeaks, Overhead, Stereo Mastering, M/S Mastering, Mid Mastering). The latter basically sets the attack/release settings and how the channels are treated after they have been input.

The controls are otherwise fairly simple: sensitivity = threshold so to speak, amount = how strong the reduction of the signal is, auto influences the attack time, smooth is a soft saturation, output gain = output gain compensation, dry/wet is a mix dial..

The process can be further fine tuned with the "Sibilant EQ" (which unlocks the full power of this Dynamic EQ), and the "voice EQ" (the EQ that is applied if no reduction is happening - see it as "initial sound shaper" or "compensation EQ").

Please discuss :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

"The latter basically sets the attack/release settings and how the channels are treated after they have been input.

The controls are otherwise fairly simple: sensitivity = threshold so to speak, amount = how strong the reduction of the signal is, auto influences the attack time, smooth is a soft saturation, output gain = output gain compensation, dry/wet is a mix dial.."

Where did you get this info? Modes change detection algorithm and timing , optimized for various tasks. Sensitivity is not treshold since it's not level dependant, but marely adjusts algorithm sensitivity for determining sibilants from voiced audio path. Auto doesn't influence attack time but it's an atuomatic processor that removes steep resonances after user definable sibilant EQ to help controlling sibilants, together with smooth (saturation).

I'm writing the following via my tablet. So if there are typos, I apologize in advance
gregam wrote:Where did you get this info?
Two answers
1) I used the plugin
2) it's a dynamic EQ. Even though the labels are not like anything you'd see on a modern day EQ enhanced with a highly technical "dynamic" feature (frequency controlled amplification, that needs a sidechained frequency range, a threshold and strength value for the amplification or rather reduction in most cases ), under the hood it is still a dynamic EQ

In fact, a basic Deesser is nothing more than a wideband compressor with a high ratio, that is triggered by the internal frequency controlled (Bandpass or Highshelf) "side chain". In case of E2Deesser (or any dynamic EQ used for that task), we have no strong compression on top of gain reduction of the signal, but only reduction of the signal strength. Which sounds smoother/less aggressive

gregam wrote:Modes change detection algorithm and timing , optimized for various tasks. Sensitivity is not treshold since it's not level dependant, but marely adjusts algorithm sensitivity for determining sibilants from voiced audio path.
Ah, not quite IMO

In fact, the algorithms do a bit more: set the frequency area that is used for the detection (hence the presets, so it's basically a fixed internal sidechain BP or high shelf), how fast the algo responds (attack/release), and how the channels are addressed. I didn't write anything different about that, only that presets exist. It's not as detailed in the manual, but if you ever worked with dynamic tools of any type, it is logical.

Albeit the Sensitivity knob can theoretically be seen as "center point EQ shift" for the detection module relevant internal sidechain EQ (don't think that is the case here). However, you somehow still need to find the point where the sibilants set in signal level wise. So this means you need to lower a/the threshold of the detection module, or raise the sensitivity. "To sense something....". This plugin does not have an input gain and/or automatic gain compensation to drive the signal into the threshold of the detection module, then automatically correct the output signal strength. Else you could raise the Amount knob to max, and sweep frequencies with the Sensitivity knob.

The Amount knob then declares how strong the sibilants are reduced (see manual page 14). The "detection" can't be further fine tuned, but the behavior of the frequency "reduction" (shape) with the sibilant EQ. Remember, this is supposed to be a de-esser, a dynamic EQ specifically tuned for a certain task, not an all purpose dynamic EQ

In my experience, YMMV and such

gregam wrote:Auto doesn't influence attack time but it's an atuomatic processor that removes steep resonances after user definable sibilant EQ to help controlling sibilants, together with smooth (saturation).
Well, the manual describes it as a second dynamic process post all settings that take care of possible false setup of the user. So indeed not necessarily a control over the attack time, but definitely control over general rogue peaks/transients.

So the only mistake I see in my initial post, is the attack feature?
Sorry, too late on my end to follow...

EDIT: fixed some typos on my main rig
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Got the free upgrade and put it to the test this evening. My first impressions are very positive. It's very smooth and the new UI is a huge improvement. I'm pretty impressed so far.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Love this plugin. It didn't take anytime to get used to. Very straight forward GUI. It has become a regular plug I reach for when it comes to DeEssing duties.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

How does this compare to fabfilter?

damayor wrote:How does this compare to fabfilter?
Just use DMG Essense :party:.

Return to “Effects”