Geist2, worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mean worth it from an Ableton user's perspective.
Ive gone over some of the new features like polyrhythms and probability graph, which in my opinion seem quite random..like pulling the lever on a slot machine. I hate that shit! The transmod seems like a good idea if you wanna use a pad to trigger an envelope but it's just the same as sidechaining in ableton.

Is there anything you can do in giest that you cant in Ableton? I know its a pretty obvious question, even as far as workflow goes but I still could be wrong

I hear the samples are good quality and there's quite a lot. Just dont wanna spend the time learning something if I can do better with what Ive got. Also seems like a mega steep learning curve on this one. I'm startin' to do a lot of sampling but haven't really had a problem with the drum rack. Be nice if drumrack had some of the features sampler does or reverse, but who's complaining.

Kinh wrote:I mean worth it from an Ableton user's perspective.
Ive gone over some of the new features like polyrhythms and probability graph, which in my opinion seem quite random..like pulling the lever on a slot machine. I hate that shit! The transmod seems like a good idea if you wanna use a pad to trigger an envelope but it's just the same as sidechaining in ableton.

Is there anything you can do in giest that you cant in Ableton? I know its a pretty obvious question, even as far as workflow goes but I still could be wrong

I hear the samples are good quality and there's quite a lot. Just dont wanna spend the time learning something if I can do better with what Ive got. Also seems like a mega steep learning curve on this one. I'm startin' to do a lot of sampling but haven't really had a problem with the drum rack. Be nice if drumrack had some of the features sampler does or reverse, but who's complaining.
Geist2 is (imho) amazing.The way you can edit groups, patterns and 'cells' is done very neatly and i don't believe Ableton (or any other daw) has these options build in the way Geist2 has. I guess it is a matter of taste as well ofcourse, but i use fl studio, ableton, reaper and renoise and in none of these daw's i was able to find such a nice sequencer. The sampling options are great, the fx is relevant and the ui is very well done.

I wonder generally what advantages the plugins like Geist offer over sequencing drums in a DAW. I use Studio One which has a very basic drum sampler which does the job for me, I do all sequencing manually or use looper plugins like Finger and Grossbeat.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Completely pointless if you already use Live imo

I've always found the learning curve to be huge with Geist

Geist 2 is amazing once you learn how it works, and the learning curve isnt huge. It's not complicated at all IMO.

Its not absolutely necessary to have, but it does speed up your workflow when programming drum looops and it has an amazing modulation matrix, which is key with EDM. But you can do that in Live, it just takes a bit longer, and what I have found is that when I am in a creative flow, the quicker work flow with Geist helps a lot.

Ohlson_M wrote:Geist 2 is amazing once you learn how it works, and the learning curve isnt huge. It's not complicated at all IMO.

Its not absolutely necessary to have, but it does speed up your workflow when programming drum looops and it has an amazing modulation matrix, which is key with EDM. But you can do that in Live, it just takes a bit longer, and what I have found is that when I am in a creative flow, the quicker work flow with Geist helps a lot.
+1 :tu:

tehlord wrote:Completely pointless if you already use Live imo

I've always found the learning curve to be huge with Geist
Indeed, I think the investment is worth it though.
Agree with you that Geist isn't as useful if you already own Live.
The Gesit Library seems good though.

I've used guest one for years and used ableton up to version 8 and I have to agree it's kind of pointless if you are deep into ableton, but it does speed up work flow tremendously for other daws.

Return to “Instruments”