Logic Pro 9 or Logic X for old mac pro?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an old mac pro running Lion (soon to be updated with Yosemite).

Once I update I can run Logic X, BUT I already am happy with Cubase. I just want it for the presets so I'll mostly use it like an outboard FX rack. I'm actually thinking of getting Mainstage 3 on it since it says it has all the presets.

I remember Logic Pro 9 had some fantastic vocal channel strips with reverb - are these all carried over to Logic X or are they brand new in X? I don't care about features and other things. If these presets are lost with 9, I'll stick with 9.

Other opinions?

Until someone who uses X jumps to confirm it, think you are getting all the 9's content + X's new one, so yeah, so all should be there.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

err.... specs?

"old mac pro" could mean a lot of things.

also, if you're happy with Cubase.. why change?

"i'm happy with my wife but I'm going to dump her for this lady I don't really know very well." ;)

stillshaded wrote:also, if you're happy with Cubase.. why change?

"i'm happy with my wife but I'm going to dump her for this lady I don't really know very well." ;)
keyman_sam wrote: I just want it for the presets so I'll mostly use it like an outboard FX rack. I'm actually thinking of getting Mainstage 3 on it since it says it has all the presets.

I remember Logic Pro 9 had some fantastic vocal channel strips with reverb - are these all carried over to Logic X or are they brand new in X? I don't care about features and other things. If these presets are lost with 9, I'll stick with 9.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

stillshaded wrote:also, if you're happy with Cubase.. why change?

Please RTFP. :D

It's an 06 Mac Pro 2.66 soon to be running Yosemite.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... semit.html

Was a nice read, one can score one of these bargain oldies and give them few years of life more, especially ones on the budget lusting for Logic X, it's not ideal still, but better than shelling out twice as much for new dual core Mac Mini's or second hand quad ones or going hackintosh route which is illegal in most countries in the world.

Also, on long run just adding desktop PC via VEP for hungry instruments, way cheaper than buying trash can, especially for guys that want to stay on Logic 9 and 10.6.8 and continue to use stuff like Kontakt.

Sorry for OT rumbling. :oops:

Zexila wrote:http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... semit.html

Was a nice read, one can score one of these bargain oldies and give them few years of life more, especially ones on the budget lusting for Logic X, it's not ideal still, but better than shelling out twice as much for new dual core Mac Mini's or second hand quad ones or going hackintosh route which is illegal in most countries in the world.

Also, on long run just adding desktop PC via VEP for hungry instruments, way cheaper than buying trash can, especially for guys that want to stay on Logic 9 and 10.6.8 and continue to use stuff like Kontakt.

Sorry for OT rumbling. :oops:
I have another desktop PC for VEP. I'm just curious about Logic/MS and this mac will be more than enough to scratch that itch. It will be paired with a MOTU 828 to hook up with my RME 9652. Here's hoping the trouble is worth it.

If I can get all the presets Logic has without the DAW, then Mainstage 3 at $30 would be a fantastic bargain.

keyman_sam wrote: If I can get all the presets Logic has without the DAW, then Mainstage 3 at $30 would be a fantastic bargain.
Most definitely. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”