New xils lab synth coming...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds like a Commodore 64 SID Chip. Doubt it's that but it really sounds like one - that chip is just *mmmmmmmm*

Whatever it is I pray they've made a new preset browser. The one they have on all their syntths now drives me crazy.

I've a fairly long list of suggested improvements.

sfd wrote:Whatever it is I pray they've made a new preset browser. The one they have on all their syntths now drives me crazy.
Yes, definitely! Preset management is weak ATM.
Now I wouldn't mind if they released a (semi)modular synth, like this one:
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2013/02/rsf- ... -i-ii.html
(or better…) 8)

sfd wrote:Whatever it is I pray they've made a new preset browser. The one they have on all their syntths now drives me crazy.

I've been saying this for years.

Is there any way to lock the browser, so that your particular way of viewing the presets is remembered? It always resets.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

The preset management system could certainly be improved.

This said, for those who take the time to understand it, it's pretty powerfull :

* Hierarchical search system with multi criteria, allowing me to find the right patch for a track in a few minutes
* Ability to create your own tags for every criteria
* Make favorite, or project banks. Make things like exporting all your user patches with a single click without even having to use the OS Browser. Portable between versions on different systems.
* Never lost a patch with this system. Wich is probably the most important thing from a sound designer POV, added to the fact that one can deliver soundbanks encrypted in a single file, wich is very convenient. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

HunterKiller wrote:Is there any way to lock the browser, so that your particular way of viewing the presets is remembered? It always resets.
Menu options : Init from current patch. It should also remember the criteria hierarchy as you set them.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

wagtunes wrote:
D-Fusion wrote:Arp Odyssey?
As a former Odyssey owner, I can tell you 100% for sure that those demos did not come from an Odyssey.
I still have an Arp Odyssey ( Orange version) and it's not the Odyssey.
------------------___________

Btw those who said that it's not a monophonic unit are right ( Several voices etc etc in the newsletter )

Lotuzia wrote:

This said, for those who take the time to understand it, it's pretty powerfull :

* Hierarchical search system with multi criteria, allowing me to find the right patch for a track in a few minutes
* Make favorite, or project banks. Make things like exporting all your user patches with a single click without even having to use the OS Browser. Portable between versions on different systems.
* Never lost a patch with this system. Wich is probably the most important thing from a sound designer POV, added to the fact that one can deliver soundbanks encrypted in a single file, wich is very convenient. :shrug:
It's not a question of 'not understanding' - the system is just too clumsy to use to browse and organise presets with. What's the point of never losing a patch if you end up with multiple copies of it all over the place because the only way to delete or move patches is a tedious one by one process. The browser on all my XILS synths is a mess made up of imported soundbanks and my own presets in various stages of development, and the main reason for this is the impossibility of managing more than one preset at a time.

aMUSEd wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:

It's not a question of 'not understanding' - the system is just too clumsy to use to browse and organise presets with. What's the point of never losing a patch if you end up with multiple copies of it all over the place because the only way to delete or move patches is a tedious one by one process. The browser on all my XILS synths is a mess made up of imported soundbanks and my own presets in various stages of development, and the main reason for this is the impossibility of managing more than one preset at a time.
Exactly. Having a second rate product and accusing customers of not understanding (??) a preset browser is quite a feat...

hmm - I didn't say their products are 'second rate' - they are certainly not, just the browser/preset management needs improving imho.

wald wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:

Exactly. Having a second rate product and accusing customers of not understanding (??) a preset browser is quite a feat...

that seems to be his modus operandi in general, whatever the criticism. it's as if the plugins are designed to suit his needs, and we the customers just get to sit in on the ride and pay for it. i come from the school of thought that 'the customer is always right'. I suppose if his role in xils is as some kind of 'design consultant' ... it is kind of undermining for him to report to the programmer, xavier, "oh ya, regarding the UX decisions I've been making...well the customers don't like them."

so, reporting these grievances to Lotuzia and expecting him to really push for them to be addressed with Xavier, is like asking turkeys to vote for christmas. imo. ymmv. god bless america.

aMUSEd wrote:hmm - I didn't say their products are 'second rate' - they are certainly not, just the browser/preset management needs improving imho.
You're right, I should have been more precise. Everything related to synth programming, DSP design etc. is outstanding. But the user interface does not have the same level of quality.

wald wrote:Everything related to synth programming, DSP design etc. is outstanding. But the user interface does not have the same level of quality.

+1

This is, precisely, what I said :

'The preset management system could certainly be improved.

* Never lost a patch with this system. Wich is probably the most important thing from a sound designer POV, added to the fact that one can deliver soundbanks encrypted in a single file, wich is very convenient. '

So nothing like the words you put in my mouth. In short : Xils-lab preset management is quite powerfull, if you take the time to understand it. It's not perfect, and it can be enhanced. And will probably be. End of

Else, I have nothing to do with Xils-Lab preset management system as it is, even if I teached during a few years database conception and deployment/spreading. Commenting anything else possibly related to this former misunderstanding of the situation, or answering to people shooting guesses in the complete darkness, is therefore pointless.

Should some people be not totally happy with some aspects of their Xils-Lab instruments, it's always possible to contact Xils-Lab directly using the contact form on the site.

Return to “Instruments”