Automatic phase rotator plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've overdid it here so you would know what I am talking about:

I know how to do it manually, but it takes time to do it right, I am looking for an automated way.
Last edited by Lesha on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's easy if you know how

That's not got anything to do with phase,it looks like what you recorded you recorded it off axis on the mic.if it really bothers you,you can use an Allpass filter with a lot of poles to make the waveform symmetrical,at the expense of group delay either side of the "pass band"and a lot of it considering how much you would need to account for the amount asymmetry

In honesty though,it's not a problem to the sound unless you plan to make the final track really loud,it will rob you of some headroom due to one side of the waveform clipping earlier than the other

They should ban wave displays
I

No, I made it this way just for this purpose, it wasn't recorded this way. High pass filters do this, for example.

lesha wrote:No, I made it this way just for this purpose, it wasn't recorded this way. High pass filters do this, for example.
It still doesn't affect the sound though (unless it has a transient or is granular sounding) so what would be the point.all that is happened is you have changed the phase relationship of the even harmonics.sounds that favour even harmonics are supposed to be asymmetric anyway (Brass for example is strong in even order harmonics)

If you up the order of your highpass filter then the waveform should become relatively symmetrical (not should,it will) or an Allpass filter set pretty low (20hz essentially doing the same thing as a highpass filter minus the attenuation).i'm still not seeing the point though

The only dynamic phase rotator i know of is by Sound Radix called PI.it works on a key sidechain principle though so it requires something to phase rotate towards,which makes sense because phase only really comes into the equation when it correlates with another sound
I

If I want to limit the sound at -3 dB for example, one side will be clipped, while the other will be untouched.

I think izotope has a product that does automatic phase rotation, possibly ozone 5.

camsr wrote:I think izotope has a product that does automatic phase rotation, possibly ozone 5.
Thanks, I have read the Ozone manual, but "prevent antiphase" in Imager isn't what I am looking for.

Yes, thanks for the example.
I wanted to know if there is a plugin or software which would do it automatically.

I guess this could do it, but not automatically - http://www.kvraudio.com/product/phaseph ... io/details

I will have to do it manually after all.

usually rotating the phase has some drawbacks

when u have an Acoustic snare drum miced the will be a Mic over it and another under it
when these two mic tracks are combined together a hole in the frequencies is created

take a sine wave on a Oscilloscope
ad another Sine wave but invert the phase of it

if they are listened to together ,the sine waves will cancel each other out
and you will be left with no sound

so for a imperfect frequency rich snare drum the mic wont cancell each other outt completely.

but u wil hear a weird sound because the top mic is getting the sound immediatly
but the bottom is getting it slightly delayed

So imagine a Mix where u have 2 bassy sound like a Kick drum and a Bass track.
if u invert the phase on the kick some of the frequencies content will cancel each other

in plugin synth only compositions there is no point to invert the phase except to create problems.

unless thats what you're going for.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

usually rotating the phase has some drawbacks

when u have an Acoustic snare drum miced there will be a Mic over it and another under it
when these two mic tracks are combined together a hole in the frequencies is created. so u invert the phase of the bottom mic

take a sine wave on a Oscilloscope
ad another Sine wave but invert the phase of it

if they are listened to together ,the sine waves will cancel each other out
and you will be left with no sound

so for a imperfect frequency rich snare drum the mic tracks wont cancell each other out completely.

but u will hear a weird sound because the top mic is getting the sound immediatly
but the bottom is getting it slightly delayed

So imagine a Mix where u have 2 bassy sound like a Kick drum and a Bass track.
if u invert the phase on the kick some of the frequencies content of the bas will be cancelled out

in plugin synth only compositions there is no point to invert the phase of a track except to create problems.

unless thats what you're going for.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I am primarily using this for voice recordings, not multimic ones.

Return to “Effects”