The days of the LP where more then just a piece of vinyl

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Less is more - they say.

That's indeed true when it comes to the good old days of the LP.

I rhere was an excitement that is totally7 goen today. The feelign one had on the way to the record shop. To buy that record you've been watiing for for so long. Even the smell of a new LP was kind of wonderful. And we listened to the new recrod whie reading the lyrics and wathcing the images on the cover.

An LP was more then just a collection of songs. It was like a book or a movie. There was the A and B side. Even "fillers" had a palce. The albums wouldn t have been the same without them.

And of course - we recorded the LP onto casettes. To not rip the vinyl.

And of coruse. There was always a friedn who wanted a copy.

Borroginw LP:s to record to casette was common.

Each LP cllection was a kind of marker. You palced then in a carefully selected order.

It was a littel li8ke "show me yoru LP colection and I'll tell you who you are". Your LP collection was an reflection of yoru personality.

The first thing people used to do when they visited somebody was to dive into their LP collections.

And the artists?

YYou didn't realy know much about them. If you wher elucky the latest issue of this or that msuic magazien might have something about your favorite artist.

The "jungle drum" was just as important as any magazine.

That's certainly not how it is today. We ar eflooded.....and it's jus tnot as fun anymore.

Sorry for all the typos. I'm visually impaired.

I

not just LP's, so many of my first tastes of bands were on forty fives. In the late sixties and early seventies I paid seventy nine cents for a forty five and almost always played the b side first. Fidelity didn't matter much then, I basically had a toy record player with a forty five adapter and two pennies on the tone arm. But then I first heard the songs I was buying on a three and a half inch speaker on an A.M. radio so it was kind of an improvement.

The truth is I was hell on vinyl even into my twenties, but I do recall those days with the same kind of fondness as you do.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Re: The days of the LP where more then just a piece of vinyl

i know, my copy of "a big 10-8 place" also included a sandwich bag filled with mulch.

you'd enjoy that one episode of "the mighty boosh" about "the new sound". it was "fun" to be a member of a compartmentalised culture, back when we believed the lp market somehow represented the entirety of human consideration or something. but since then, don't you sort of feel like, really, we all just got taken in and sold down the river on novelty and packaged human sentiment as a substitute for authentic life activity? record stores were sort of like, for people who weren't ready to quit believing in christmas. time goes on, the images wear thin, and apart from an american pie here and there, it's hard to find a sincere recorded moment in the entire industry where the sentiment isn't somehow compromised with "i'm gonna milk a bunch of suckers with this condoned industrial production".

all money belongs to the emperor. all albums are fairy stories from a land of enchantment (erm, lies). we can say "but rik okasek is really nice" and "you might think" is just an innocent ditty *that happened to get half a billion plays and provided redundant content for countless, countless hours of human activity* dis-enchantment has authentic advantages, but it's tough to get over the loss of the dream.

today, phil spector. tomorrow, you'll find out why the thompson twins made that record about voodoo in the recording industry with your favourite producers and why that seems to keep happening with the authorities and innocent children even the hip hop producers who are supposed to be all legit street haha the entire industry exists for a reason guess what it is guess what it is

don't stop believing.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

i mean by the time we got to the seventies where it was possible for virtually every person to own a portable radio and make a style choice (eg. station) so we were all certain "our choice" in music was so much better than the others (mods vs. rockers, jocks vs. punks whatever) that we were willing to listen to radio stations in the 1980's repeating the same song three times an hour because it was "OUR" stylistic preference (we're hessians let's beat the new waver). in the 1980's, american urban environments had significantly more noise pollution from cars at stop lights competing work rock vs. rap or whatever. now all of that's been internalised.

if you can't look back at the history of your life and your culture and see media playback as a form of social entrainment, you missed the big picture. sure, i know johnny propaganda was occasionally "brilliant" and "had a wonderful human side we can all relate to" but he was still f**king us all up the ass my friend.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Music must be just something that triggers brain chemicals and makes one happy or sad or whatever and is probably like "today I want to feel a certain way and I will listen to this music to make me feel like that".

If it does the job does it matter if music is heard via cassette or LP or CD or Music Cafe? Or whether it is super-innocent and simple or, conversely, tainted by suits and contrived? Just as long as it is does the job. It's like if you want to hammer something you don't go for a screwdriver. But I guess if all there is is a screwdriver then yeah forget about pounding properly. Hehehe hahaha.

So, if people like to listen to Taylor Swift then if must be because her stuff is doing something for them, triggering those brain chemicals. People want to feel a certain way and so and so makes them feel like that. That's my guess, at least. What's the topic again?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

It's like wine. The experience varies depending on the cirumstances, how, when etc you drink it.

And for music - the medium plays a role in the circumstances.

Music as a part of human activity also plays a role in how you experience it.

TFor example - there is certinal ysometign more into it when you go to a consert or visit a a night club.

It's not just about the notes.

I never cared much about vinyl (or, ugh, tapes). I consider digital, imperishable media superior. No offense.

It's not about the medium. It's abotu the culture

harryupbabble wrote:So, if people like to listen to Taylor Swift then if must be because her stuff is doing something for them ...
I agree. These people seem to be really f*cked up in the head. I think her music was designed to break peoples brains. Now that they are broken, they will never be able to truly experience the joy that previous generations knew. It is sad. :(
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The medium matteres when it is something like this:

The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony is a concept album and multimedia project by Patrick Woodroffe and Dave Greenslade, released in 1979. The project combines a hardback book and a double vinyl album of music.

The artwork is fantastic and the book is a good read as well.

Laters
harryupbabble wrote:Music must be just something that triggers brain chemicals and makes one happy or sad or whatever and is probably like "today I want to feel a certain way and I will listen to this music to make me feel like that".

If it does the job does it matter if music is heard via cassette or LP or CD or Music Cafe? Or whether it is super-innocent and simple or, conversely, tainted by suits and contrived? Just as long as it is does the job. It's like if you want to hammer something you don't go for a screwdriver. But I guess if all there is is a screwdriver then yeah forget about pounding properly. Hehehe hahaha.

So, if people like to listen to Taylor Swift then if must be because her stuff is doing something for them, triggering those brain chemicals. People want to feel a certain way and so and so makes them feel like that. That's my guess, at least. What's the topic again?

I also miss the static when pulling a record out of the sleeve. The outer sleeves were sometimes pieces of art, while the inner ones had lots of information. Some CD's also have the info at least, but in such small print that I can't read it.

Some records were in exotic colors. I remember my transparent dark red Kiss record (I was made for loving you) and a bright green maxi single I had, not sure what it was, but I think it was Moti Special.

There is definitely something about analog that I miss with mp3 files. There was no copy protection or embedded info.
I also miss cassettes, they had a certain smell as well. Sure, it's just chemicals, but I also like the smell of auto repair shops, which reminds me of the garage of my uncle when I was a child.

But at the end of the day, what it all boils down to is that I don't like modern times and cling to my beloved memories of the 70s and 80s.

everything in the original post could be said about cds as well.

i never understood the "magic" people feel vinyl specifically held. i mean, im the age group who are most likely the very last people to had to buy records because digital wasnt invented yet. i was 12 in '82 which is old enough to be interested in music (which i was) but not really old enough to be that interested in it. by that i mean...thats still too young for music to be a major contributor to a personal style or outlook on life and whatnot.

the very first music purchase i made for myself was the 45 of soft cells tainted love...yes an actual 45, which came out the year before cds started to be used. by the time i graduated high school in 87...many many things had changed...not the least of which was my interest in music and how that shaped my life. by that time i had a decent record collection (for a 17 year old)...and i remember quite distinctly how much i longed for a cd player.

my god they seemed glorious. so shiny, so small, there was absolutely zero nostalgia for the vinyl format and most of us were chomping at the bit to get rid of it.

now...i havent purchased a cd in years and years, and truth be told...i havent even listened to one in years, but i still have my (nearly) 800 cd collection prominently displayed. i still feel as though someone could (and should) look at it and glean something about me personally from it.

there is still something about a cd...i dont know what it is. i guess its just the fact that its a finished physical work. its completed. you dont get the same kind of feeling from downloaded material...it seems (and is in fact) more ephemeral. a work of art that is committed to a physical form seems to me to be a stronger statement.

when i released my album through bandcamp last year...i looked into making a small run of cds...it didnt work out and i didnt make them...but i still have the test one...and i have to admit....it means something to me.

i dont have any of my vinyl records...i dont even have a turn table to play records on. i dont even have a music specific entertainment system. i have my computer (with excellent 5.1 surround speakers) and i have my "home theater" system with hdmi inputs for my laptop/tablet and my playstation. if i want to hear music...ill just stream it, either from my computer, or on line...even if i have the cd.

but i can say for sure...i will lug those damned cds around with me till my dying day...even if i never play one again.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: but i can say for sure...i will lug those damned cds around with me till my dying day...even if i never play one again.
Sorry for the partial quote, you just reminded me how (effortlessly) I tried to sell some of mine and...no shop buys used cds here in Rome anymore.
No market.
(sold lots of 'em via internet, irony)

Keep your old CDs. Every remastered CD I've heard is totally slammed to the wall (and beyond in some cases). Instead of the sound improving, it's all just getting worse. It's hard to believe that people actually get paid for destroying art.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It's true that there wasn't any vinyl nostalgia when CD came. As I remember it there was some complains about the size of the artwork. But that was pretty much it.

It took a while before CD took over completely. That wasn't until the first half of the 90s I think (In Sweden).

However - I believe the move from forty fives to vinyl to cd was a part of the same culture. A culture that is gone with Internet and digital media.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”