Looking for a stereo widener with mono compatibility

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh absolutely. If you're recording guitars or something like that, then record 2 takes and pan to suit. Nothing will sound thicker and wider than 2 separate layers.

But I'm talking about in electronic productions.. I'm liking snares and pad synths etc pushed out to the left and right fields while the kick/bass/lead stays central.

I have my eye on Nugen Stereoizer (Elements) at the moment for this task.

A1-Stereo-Control is good if the signal is stereo already. A pure mono signal can not be widened by said plugin.

I just discovered that myself! Was scratching my head for a minute thinking the plugin wasn't working properly - but it's true. KiloHearts Stereo appears to be the same (useless with mono sources).

I've downloaded the Nugen Stereoizer Elements demo and comparing it to JST SideWidener (Computer Music freebie), A1Stereo and KiloHearts Stereo. I'm using Flux Stereo Tool before and after to keep an eye on phase as well as summing back to mono. Looks like the Nugen seems to widen whilst keeping the phase meter in the positive more than the others. I loaded up a recent track where I used the JST SideWidener on a background synth and A/B'd it with the Nugen... the Nugen definitely sounds more natural though that won't always mean better.

Surprised to see just how different stereo wideners can sound from each other. I'd be keen to try that new Mathew Lane plugin if it ever goes on sale.

Whether or not something has 'mono compatibility' is to do with the relationship between mid and side channels. Whatever is in the side channels will disappear when you play it in mono - as mono means only the mid channel can be heard. So make sure you have a pretty equal amount of a particular sound in both mid and side and the mix will remain relatively unchanged. If you want the effect of extreme stereo wideness you have to accept that you sacrifice some mono compatibility.

One of my favourite tools for taking a mono source and spreading it out nicely is bx_stereomaker.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

most 'pro' (as far as i know, what do i know) stereo snares and so on are done with 2 similar samples.

Return to “Effects”