Novation Automap, anyone use two devices at once?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I own a Novation Zero SLMKII and enjoy the experience enough that I'm thinking of adding a Novation keyboard to my setup, but I was curious as to how Automap would react to this. Does automap recognize two devices at once? If so, does it simply mirror the same controls, or can I actually spread parameters across multiple devices? For example, in mixer mode, would both devices faders control tracks 1-8, or can I set it up so that the SL controls 1-8 & the keyboard controls 9-16?

Anyones honest feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Hi LGK_Dude

You can use multiple devices with Automap and you can indeed use these to control different devices.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eddie Judd // Novation Tech Support
Eddie Judd - Novation Technical Support

Eddie Novation wrote:Hi LGK_Dude

You can use multiple devices with Automap and you can indeed use these to control different devices.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Not really. Do you mind going into a little more detail on how automap would handle multiple automap devices? Right now when I open a plugin or instrument in automap, I see an outline of my Zero with all the parameters assigned. If I also had a Remote keyboard, would I now see two automap devices open? If so, when I open a plugin, would BOTH devices switch to automaping this single instrument/plugin? Or can I somehow have multiple automaps open at once? For example, lets say I have an EQ open and an instrument. Could I make it so every time I open instruments they are controlled ONLY by my keyboard, and all plugins are controlled ONLY by my Zero?

Also, as in my original question, can I actually spread parameters across multiple devices? For example, in mixer mode, would both devices faders control tracks 1-8, or can I set it up so that the Zero controls 1-8 & the keyboard controls 9-16?

Are there any youtube vidoes on using multiple automap devices in a single setup? Thanks!
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Hi LGK_Dude,

It would be best if you can contact us via our support from.

I'll be able to address each of your questions specifically and provide some specific examples for you. I'll also be able to respond more promptly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Eddie Judd - Novation Technical Support

Eddie Novation wrote:Hi LGK_Dude,

It would be best if you can contact us via our support from.

I'll be able to address each of your questions specifically and provide some specific examples for you. I'll also be able to respond more promptly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I actually posted this question (as well as many others) on your support forums and never seem to get an answer, which is why I posted at KVR as well : http://forum.novationmusic.com/viewtopi ... 40&t=51167

http://forum.novationmusic.com/viewtopi ... 40&t=18617

http://forum.novationmusic.com/viewtopi ... 40&t=51460

Thank you for responding to my post here and I really look forward to hearing from you over there :)

Dear Novation guy above...

That's pretty weak that you couldn't just answer the guy's question here. It was a fairly simple question.

I have the EXACT SAME question as the poster above. I have an SL 49 mkii and am thinking about adding a Remote Zero to expand my controls. I would be operating both in user mode, but want to make sure it can spread the parameters instead of just duplicating.

I was hoping the answer would be in this thread. Now I have to keep searching.. because you decided it would be best to "privatize" your response.

Your company's customer service upsets me on multiple levels. I stay with you because I love the overall feel of the board with it's Fatar keybed. But dammit... why can't you just answer the question, and not give such a broad, nonhelpful response.

cphoenix wrote:Dear Novation guy above...

That's pretty weak that you couldn't just answer the guy's question here. It was a fairly simple question.

I have the EXACT SAME question as the poster above. I have an SL 49 mkii and am thinking about adding a Remote Zero to expand my controls. I would be operating both in user mode, but want to make sure it can spread the parameters instead of just duplicating.

I was hoping the answer would be in this thread. Now I have to keep searching.. because you decided it would be best to "privatize" your response.

Your company's customer service upsets me on multiple levels. I stay with you because I love the overall feel of the board with it's Fatar keybed. But dammit... why can't you just answer the question, and not give such a broad, nonhelpful response.
If it helps I have a remote zero sl mk II and USED to have the Ultranova, I kept setting the rz sl mk ii as my automap controller but it kept flipping back to the UN as controller, it caused a conflict and kept changing what hardware was controlling automap off it's own back.

I sold the UN a while back, no more problems with the r sl mk II now.

This is not a knock at Novation btw(just providing my experience), They should answer the question here though.

In fact I got the new Bass Station 2 on pre order!

:D

Yeah, I hope it doesn't sound like I was knocking Novation's products itself.

I freakin love this SL mkii controller I have. The quality is spot on. I don't think there's a better controller only solution. Only things better have synth engines attached to them.

But the customer service seems horrid in my experience.

I'm going to assume 2 Automap controllers working together harmoniously is impossible. i ahevn't found anything in the software or the manual suggesting it's easy to do. just wish he would've just answered the question, that's all.

Thanks for your experience btw! I think they pretty much answers it for me. If the UN and Zero didn't expand Automap, then there's no way a zero and an SL mkii would. So i'll just stick with what I have, and try to create some extra banks. Thanks!

cphoenix wrote:Yeah, I hope it doesn't sound like I was knocking Novation's products itself.

I freakin love this SL mkii controller I have. The quality is spot on. I don't think there's a better controller only solution. Only things better have synth engines attached to them.

I'm going to assume 2 Automap controllers working together harmoniously is impossible. i ahevn't found anything in the software or the manual suggesting it's easy to do. just wish he would've just answered the question, that's all.

Thanks for your experience btw! I think they pretty much answers it for me. If the UN and Zero didn't expand Automap, then there's no way a zero and an SL mkii would. So i'll just stick with what I have, and try to create some extra banks. Thanks!
I'm not saying it won't work, maybe you could only tune page 1 to 1 controller and page two to the other, then you may as well just press the page button - I hope you realise you can do that: double the amount of control to a given synth etc.

Customer service is fine - they sent me a free potentionmeter for a secondhand Novation synth I bought, they are a bit slow but do come with the correct help eventually but seems only on a one to one basis via email.

Hence I got no problems buying further from them, hope they make a cheap poly synth next.

breakmixer wrote:
cphoenix wrote:Yeah, I hope it doesn't sound like I was knocking Novation's products itself.

I'm not saying it won't work, maybe you could only tune page 1 to 1 controller and page two to the other, then you may as well just press the page button - I hope you realise you can do that: double the amount of control to a given synth etc.

Customer service is fine - they sent me a free potentionmeter for a secondhand Novation synth I bought, they are a bit slow but do come with the correct help eventually but seems only on a one to one basis via email.

Hence I got no problems buying further from them, hope they make a cheap poly synth next.
PS with Ultranova and Remote SL MKII there was no option to use both, one or the other only(and the software wouldn't hold the setting I made default - The Remote Zero SL MKII.

PS I'd never sell my RM SL MK II - just wish it had a display per knob/slider, that you could rename in some cases.

I'm pretty sure that you need Automap PRO (paid upgrade) to use 2+ devices.
I have it along with a Remote 61SL and a Remote 25SL and it works like a charm.
However, it's been a long time since I last used them at the same time using the Automap features and since I'm away from the home studio, I can't check.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

different question here regarding automap+remote zero:

can you build complex map relying on 'pages', using the side
buttons as navigators? i'm new to the remote, wondering how
to get the most out of it for different devices.

mztk wrote:different question here regarding automap+remote zero:

can you build complex map relying on 'pages', using the side
buttons as navigators? i'm new to the remote, wondering how
to get the most out of it for different devices.
I only use it with VST instruments/VST editors for hardware, I don't know to control hardware without vst editors, i.e. it becomes inactive unless automapped to something for me.

In automap preferences you can set a specific controller to follow the focused plugin which is nice. You can also manually set each controller to whatever mode you want and it won't affect any of the other controller connected with automap. I currently have 3 launchpads and one zero sl mkii and i have the zero sl set to follow focused plugin, one launchpad set on usermode, one launchpad set in either FLstudio mode or Ableton mode and one set with Katapult software and it works flawlessly. I actually for a short time used to have a second zero sl but mk1 (the one with dual screens) as well and i can't completely remember but i want to say that you can in fact set one controller to follow all fx plugins focused and one set to follow generator plugins in focus but don't take my word for it. i plan on getting another second zero sl and i will report back if this is true or not. Hope this helps
You can only know what you choose to believe

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”