One Synth Challenge #89: Tunefish4 by Brain Control (Meakaale wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tunefish 4

Hi Gabriel and welcome to OSC. Basically you can say that any effect that alter the original sound too much are not allowed. You must still be able to hear that it is Tunefish. But it is of course very subjective. I used Flux Bitter Sweet in the past and it is allowed (I checked). Compressors are allowed. Chorus effects are not allowed and you should go easy on saturation effect and distortion.

Arpeggiators I am not really sure about but I Think it is allowed since it will not alter the sound and you can basically accomplish the same thing with the DAW alone.

Good luck!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

z.prime wrote:
Gabriel Garcia wrote:... what effects are allowed. I know reverb and delay are, but can we use compressors? what about transient shapers like Flux's Bitter Sweet? And MIDI plugins like arpeggiators?
Compressors are fine and transient shapers, since they're just volume automation, basically. Modulation fx like chorus are not allowed. Freeware / DAW built in arpeggiators are fine, commercial ones are not.
...unless you record the output of the midi generating device like an arpeggiator or sequencer or whatever to midi within the DAW, which is fine according to our previous conversations about this :D

Thanks for the quick answers guys! All effects I'm using for the challenge are freeware or built in, so no problem with that. I asked because I used Bitter Sweet in the kick track to enhance the "click" and Soundgoodizer to compress the volume level and an overall enhancing. Now it sounds a lot better to me, but maybe that counts as "changing the sound too much".

deleted
Last edited by marks-a-whybikky on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabriel Garcia wrote:Thanks for the quick answers guys! All effects I'm using for the challenge are freeware or built in, so no problem with that. I asked because I used Bitter Sweet in the kick track to enhance the "click" and Soundgoodizer to compress the volume level and an overall enhancing. Now it sounds a lot better to me, but maybe that counts as "changing the sound too much".
Probably not a problem. People use transient shapers, eq, automation, compression, multiband compression, and all other things to make the tracks sound good. The key word, at least to me is 'unrecognizable'. It might be louder, a longer tail, thinner, but if it's fundamentally the same sound, I think you'll find it pretty ok. :)

I should start a tunefish track soon. So... little... time... this... month...

z.prime wrote:I should start a tunefish track soon. So... little... time... this... month...
And I'll bet, in no time he comes up with an amazing track :lol:

Here are some presets in .fxb format.
sfiks bank for tunefish4.fxb.zip
Cymbals notes need to be very short to sound longer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
not every horse is a racehorse

rghvdberg wrote:
z.prime wrote:I should start a tunefish track soon. So... little... time... this... month...
Well, I dunno. I got something sorta good, a starting point anyway, but then I reloaded it and many of the patches I created are screwed. Not a cool way to work. :-/

Good luck to everyone this month! Its rare I get a chance to spend time on a track these days but its great to still see so many submissions for recent OSC! :party: :clap: :phones:

z.prime wrote:Well, I dunno. I got something sorta good, a starting point anyway, but then I reloaded it and many of the patches I created are screwed. Not a cool way to work. :-/
Z. - there may be a way to recover your patches. Try reloading the file, and then on any instance where the patch does not work go into the synth interface and select patch 0. Your most recently saved settings for that instance should be there.
If you do this for each instance that is wrong you might get back to where you left off.
Hope it helps :)

z.prime wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:
Well, I dunno. I got something sorta good, a starting point anyway, but then I reloaded it and many of the patches I created are screwed. Not a cool way to work. :-/
That's the way Tunefish4 is testing you if you are worthy to use it :hihi:

But seriously, this sucks. :x

RichardSemper wrote:... there may be a way to recover your patches. Try reloading the file, and then on any instance where the patch does not work go into the synth interface and select patch 0. Your most recently saved settings for that instance should be there.
Thanks, seems these were made from patch 0 (or at least, it was still reading Saaaaw). Maybe I cycled through presets on an instance or something... It wasn't as widespread as I thought at first (it was just a couple, including one of the predominant sounds in the track!!) I recreated the patches again and saved Bitwig presets that I verified loaded up... and now it seems to be working. Hmm. Thank you, though! :hug:

quick mock up
I know this gonna please the old-timers :-)
Disregard the sloppy playing ..

https://soundcloud.com/rghvdberg/rghvdb ... h4/s-wOC99

sfiks wrote:Here are some presets in .fxb format.
sfiks bank for tunefish4.fxb.zip
Cymbals notes need to be very short to sound longer
Hi. I am not able to make this work in Tunefish 4 (latest version as per today). fxb wont load through the "load fxb" procedure, and the only thing that seem to work is to add "programs" to the default "program" list where the factory programs are followed by new in a squencial, not broken, number sequence.

How do I turn your fxb into these "programs"?
Mac Pro 3,2Ghz - 10TB - 20GB, Cubase 10 + 8 + 7 + 5 + 4, Logic X, Yamaha 01v96, Hammerfall RAYDAT.

Return to “Instruments”