Brainstorming a new open source, cross platform, music experience framework

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been inspired by this game Panoramical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBTTMNFXHTk

Basically, the point of that game, if there is one, is that you perform various A/V songs, manipulating things with your kb/mouse/gamepad/midi controller.

My idea is to create an open-source platform to make it easy for musicians to create these sorts of experiences and hopefully build up a little community around it. Let the end users have a chance to perform/remix the songs/videos by tweaking various settings.

I'm going to primarily use C#; it was good enough for Panoramical so there's no real reason to use C++. It's easier for people to learn and more accessible. OpenGL/OpenAL, SDL2, Midi, and VST all work with C# wrappers.

Right now I'm just collecting ideas on how to do this, trying to figure out things from the technical side (especially with audio technicalities). Haven't come up with a name yet, but I am thinking of a water theme, given that my artist name is Water Wraith I have a kind of spiritual connection to the ideas of sound+water.

Probably starting with MonoGame, since I like the vibe of the community, possibly forking some aspects of MonoGame to build something specific to this idea, since MG has done a lot of the hard work for making things play nice cross-platform.

I plan to unlicense any original source code to the public domain, and try to limit the forking other people's code to stuff that is public domain or licensed in a permissive way such as MIT/MS-PL/LGPL. This is to maximize adoption.

This is where I'm stuck at now in my exploration, perhaps one of you audio geniuses here can help? :pray:
http://community.monogame.net/t/just-tr ... -wave/7938

If I can get SimpleSynth working in MonoGame then I can work on porting C#Synth over to MG as well. (It seems that Panoramical was built on a fork of C#Synth).

I haven't done any research on the OpenGL side of things yet, but my plan is to tie all this stuff together in a cohesive way that makes it accessible to as many people as possible.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”