Is there any interest for soundpack for mobile apps?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering... I've been contemplating the idea for a while, but since the apps themselves are so cheap, it might not be worth my while... I could do sound packs for Caustic, Nanostudio, and BeatMaker.

The sounds would be chipsounds, old keyboards (toy keyboards and synthesizers), cinematic and ambient tones.

Is there any interested for this?

Sounds interesting but i think you should ask this in more famous iOS forums like the Audiobus forum, disschord and a few others.
Sadly i think from my experience that most people won't pay much for this kind of work in the iOS world.
I would like to have some serious cinematic sounds for mobile.
But also people on iOS seems not to like large libraries due to limited space on idevices etc.
But how i said, KVR is not very active when it comes to iOS or mobile in general.

Cinebient wrote:Sounds interesting but i think you should ask this in more famous iOS forums like the Audiobus forum, disschord and a few others.
Sadly i think from my experience that most people won't pay much for this kind of work in the iOS world.
I would like to have some serious cinematic sounds for mobile.
But also people on iOS seems not to like large libraries due to limited space on idevices etc.
But how i said, KVR is not very active when it comes to iOS or mobile in general.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the forums you mention. That's what I think too, the mobile world isn't ready yet for bigger soundpacks.

I highly recommend checking out SynthPatcher: http://synthpatcher.com/

I think there IS an interest, but that interest may be small. 3rd Party Libraries haven't really taken off on iOS.

There's lots of people selling sound packs, Retronyms and Novation being 2 big ones but usually as IAPs to existing apps rather than standalone.
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:There's lots of people selling sound packs, Retronyms and Novation being 2 big ones but usually as IAPs to existing apps rather than standalone.

Yes, it's hard to say how the market is.
But f.e. when i see threads in the Audiobus forum (where i'm no active member anymore after some years but still reading it since it's very informative for iOS news) where many people bitching about even already low prices, free apps (the Yamaha threads f.e.) with limited access etc., it's not a good sign. It sounds more and more if it's all about cheap tools.
I would think twice about to release things there.
It's a bit sad but i think (and that is of course my useless personal meaning) that those things slow the evolution there even more down.
People seems to don't get that there is much work involved and that some companies living from selling hardware in combination of software rather than giving away for free or full blown synth engines for a few bucks.
I think it would be hard to sell those sample packs for more than 5 dollars which is a joke for this work.
It's a bit sad.

I don't think there's a market for BIG sound packs. But loads of small ones at a buck or two each might well do ok.
Instant human just add coffee

Just try it.
To put stuff on Google play is about forty euros and then you can sell sound packs or apps through them.
There is a lot of sample packs for Caustic and G-Stomper. Plus that G-Stomper now have a sampler with velocity layers that can be combined with the excellent synthesizer engine making it fertile ground for sample instruments and presets.
In either case all there is to loose is the time to do the work and then see what happens right?
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

which is why I would like to see Kontakt Player for iOS (or an equivalent)
Then sound packs would not have to be targeted specifically to iOS, they could be made available to any platform at the same price.

I'd pay $99 for a cool set of sounds yet use it on my iPad instead of the iMac

sirdavidabraham wrote:which is why I would like to see Kontakt Player for iOS (or an equivalent)
Then sound packs would not have to be targeted specifically to iOS, they could be made available to any platform at the same price.

I'd pay $99 for a cool set of sounds yet use it on my iPad instead of the iMac
That would be indeed nice!
But a lot Kontakt libraries won't work with the player! (I use indeed the player only too).
But mobile devices (beside some hybrid or notebooks) are still far away in terms of cpu and RAM, multi threading etc, faster SSD, connecting extern SSD's etc.
Maybe it would make more sense to create a multi-touch optimized Kontakt for windows 10 then.
I don't think mobile devices are made for complex routings, large libraries etc. Especially iOS is not.
But maybe BeatMaker 3 will be interesting too since BM2 had already the best sampler on iOS and version 3 seems to be at least for iOS and OSX (at least Intua said that a while ago in a twitter message).
Then NanoStudio 2 and some other apps might be open some better options in the future too.

Cinebient wrote:That would be indeed nice!
But a lot Kontakt libraries won't work with the player! (I use indeed the player only too).
But mobile devices (beside some hybrid or notebooks) are still far away in terms of cpu and RAM, multi threading etc, faster SSD, connecting extern SSD's etc.
Maybe it would make more sense to create a multi-touch optimized Kontakt for windows 10 then.
I don't think mobile devices are made for complex routings, large libraries etc. Especially iOS is not.
But maybe BeatMaker 3 will be interesting too since BM2 had already the best sampler on iOS and version 3 seems to be at least for iOS and OSX (at least Intua said that a while ago in a twitter message).
Then NanoStudio 2 and some other apps might be open some better options in the future too.
I have the full version of Kontakt on desktop, but just really prefer and enjoy composing on the iPad...also have BeatMaker but Cubasis just clicks better for me. Would be great if all the iOS hosts got on board with AU and a forward-thinking AU Sample Player emerged

sirdavidabraham wrote:
I have the full version of Kontakt on desktop, but just really prefer and enjoy composing on the iPad...also have BeatMaker but Cubasis just clicks better for me. Would be great if all the iOS hosts got on board with AU and a forward-thinking AU Sample Player emerged
I can understand if you prefer it but i never could.
There are no good sample libraries for an iPad like a great solo cello, cinematic stuff like from Heavyocity and so on.
I also like to layer some huge sounds to create one complex patch with several instances and a delay, several reverbs on each channel etc.
Not possible on iOS.
I gave up for those things on iOS because the workflow on a notebook is so much faster, better and most important more stable.
I was a great fan of iOS music production and i'm still but it's more useful as control device, running a single app or self contained apps like NanoStudio, Gadget f.e.
When i try to set up sonething in Audiobus it always crash after some time....
Then there are no synths like Dune 2, Zebra, Icarus etc. on iOS.
I started on iOS but it was a pain when i growed, a notebook with Logic is for me the best for having all the tools i want but it's still mobile enough for me.
The iPad Pro is a joke for me...due to iOS!

Cinebient wrote:
sirdavidabraham wrote:
I can understand if you prefer it but i never could.
There are no good sample libraries for an iPad like a great solo cello, cinematic stuff like from Heavyocity and so on.
I also like to layer some huge sounds to create one complex patch with several instances and a delay, several reverbs on each channel etc.
Not possible on iOS.
I gave up for those things on iOS because the workflow on a notebook is so much faster, better and most important more stable.
I was a great fan of iOS music production and i'm still but it's more useful as control device, running a single app or self contained apps like NanoStudio, Gadget f.e.
When i try to set up sonething in Audiobus it always crash after some time....
Then there are no synths like Dune 2, Zebra, Icarus etc. on iOS.
I started on iOS but it was a pain when i growed, a notebook with Logic is for me the best for having all the tools i want but it's still mobile enough for me.
The iPad Pro is a joke for me...due to iOS!
Understood, I don't do that kind of heavy layering and orchestral stuff using MIDI these days. As a matter of fact I'm more intrigued about doing that kind of stuff with live musicians again...and I think once I get back to that iPad will suffice because it's just audio tracks and effect plugins.

othern than that I'm more using technology for urban pop and the like which just needs a few good sounds with quick inspiring work flow. The iPad with Synthmaster Player etc is really accessible. Will be even more so as AU becomes more established

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”