How good is Izotope's Nectar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its crazy cheap at the moment and I work with the same artists quite often. Are the effects of a high enough quality to use this as a main vocal processing rig? (Don't particularly care about the more "special effects" end of the spectrum as I have that covered in spades). The though of having a basic template for most of my vocalists that already has takes their particular siblance, certain resonant peaks in the formant of their voice that always poke out, and already having the frequencies of their voice which don't exist filtered out so that I can get on with the more fun parts of engineering and producing and having that in a single preset for each singer is kind of appealing (and even more so at a drastically reduced price). I have vocal templates I've already made for most artists but then I have tons of inserts already full when I'm just starting. So how does this do for quality and CPU use when compared to a chain of 3 or four waves or softube plugins? Also out of curiosity, how are the pitch effects when compared to something like melodyne or waves pitch?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I had it and sold it. It might work for you, and I can't knock it, but in the end I just found it easier (better for flow/more instinctual) to just use the same plugs for vocals as I use for everything else. The presets might be of use to you though.

I don't do presets. But making my own for situations I am in over and over again is useful. It's something I do now with multiple other plugins and then save a track preset in cubase (I.E. Singer A (lead), Singer A (double), Singer A (ad libs), Singer A (spoken) ,and so on. I then do a group track for each artist I work with regularly to save time and gain a level of consistency across a project). I have time so I'm demoing it to see how it compares to my current methods. The biggest advantage I think it would give is the ability to keep the standard vocal tools (also I'll probably use it on lots of other sources if it's useful) in one insert slot, which would not only make my mixer look a whole lot cleaner, but also give me more flexibility for adding more creative type effects.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Are the effects of a high enough quality to use this as a main vocal processing rig?
Nectar has a unique feature set and if you need them all, your decision is already made. And it has a wide range of preset types that may surprise your ears. There are also many good reviews online (with varying opinions on the quality of each feature). Why don't you demo it with some vocal tracks, and see how you like the sound & workflow? Perhaps compare with say Voxformer + Melodyne? I could give you my opinion, but your taste is what count$.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

My main problem with Nectar (and the reason why I sold it) was that it added a lot of (latency and) lag when added to working in projects (in Ableton Live). Also, it didn't have the ability to save (or load) presets for each section. The appeal of an 'all in one' solution is obvious but for me, it didn't quite pan out and went back to using separate plug-ins in the chain.

I have used it and highly recommended!!

You won't be sorry you did.... also you can demo it for 14 days unrestricted so you have nothing to lose!

Regards

I'm demoing now. Really the only thing that bugs me is that the breath section is split off. I understand having the offline pitch shifter as a separate plugin, but I don't get why the breath noise remover would be the same. All in all I think it's a winner. I was slightly concerned about the CPU usage when using the VST2 version but the VST3 version is great because it's only processing when it has input/output. I think I'll take it for a hundred bucks. It'll be nice to up have a good solid starting point for the 20 or so artists I work with regularly. Also the changeable signal flow is nice for getting a bit weirder with the effects. I guess I need to find a good singing track to play with the harmonizer on. I think it's a go. All of the presets though, are way over the top for me so anybody out there who needs presets don't take this positive review from me to heart. All of them have far too much of the effects section. Like 2x too much. The only ones that seem useful at all are the vintage style ones and the ones that are supposed to be over the top. But like I said over the top processing is more fun and flexible when you do it from scratch yourself.

I have it. Used it on a session I was revisiting and I was was impressed with how well it worked. Very simple interface that has everything I need in a vocal chain. I like the effects it has for vocal processing. Simple Verb/Delay and etc. I would say it was a nice non-sense approach. I would recommend it especially if you can get it for a good price.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

I ended up buying it. It works great for many situations. It was definitely worth the crazy low price I paid for it.

Good choice! I picked it up in a bundle I got on eBay for an incredible deal. It found its way into my workflow instantly. Very happy with it!

it's absolutely fantastic. I will part with it when it is pried out of my cold dead hands.

Since you bought it, i won't go deep into each component and why it is such a great plugin.

Enjoy and congrats!

I had an odd job pop up and Nectar made mixing five vocalists easier that it has ever been. I wish they had the whole thing inside one plugin but it's still great. Does well at leaving the CPU alone when there is no signal passing through as well.

Return to “Effects”