Apogee Duet vs. Thunderbolt interfaces

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

I currently have an Apogee Duet iPad/Mac USB 2.0 interface running with my MacBook Pro late 2013. My MacBook has an i5 with only 2 cores and 8 GB RAM and i am beginning to run into problems with Logic Pro X. Some plugins and instruments (even Logic X's drumkit designer's producer kits) start to overburden my system. I'm using AU instruments to program drums and bass, all other tracks are audio files.

However, buying a MacBook with better CPU and more RAM is not an option as I can't afford to spend 2000 Euro.

So I was wondering if perhaps buying a different audio interface could help a little? I know that the UA interfaces (Apollo Twin Thunderbolt) have a CPU on their own, but if I understood that correctly, that only helps with their own plugins and not the ones I already own? What about other Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 interfaces (Focusrite, Presonus, Zoom etc.)?

Can Thunderbolt interfaces have a positive effect on the overall audio performance in comparison to USB 2.0 or is the only advantage a smaller recording latency?

On the Apogee homepage I found the following information regarding their Thunderbolt interfaces:
"Core Audio optimized DMA engine frees up Mac CPU for plugins and software instruments"

Is this an Apogee-only feature or do Thunderbolt interfaces in general free up system ressources?

Can you take your computer to shops to try interfaces before buying?

Aside from offloading DSP to a UA interface, I think the only way to really reduce CPU is by running at a higher buffer setting with Thunderbolt vs. USB 2.0 for approximately the same latency.

I keep hearing that RME interfaces are about as good as you can get for rock-solid performance at all buffer settings.
Since Apogee is in the upper echelon of interfaces (and Logic Pro X is an efficient DAW) I'm not sure how much better it will get, especially if this happens with mostly audio tracks and a few AUs.

Yes, I have already read a lot of positive comments about the RME Babyface Pro. That could be an option, although it's USB 2.0, too.

Regarding Thunderbolt interfaces there are not that many options for under $1000. The Focusrite Clarett seems to be good, but it doesn't have stepped gain controls for reproducable settings and that is a must for me. The UA Twin would be another one but in their forum I found comments about its disappointing latency when used without the built-in DSP/plugins.

Okay, I couldn't resist... just ordered an RME Babyface Pro.

If latency and stability are better than the Duet's, I'll keep it and sell the Duet.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”