Does Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 have any weaknesses?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MogwaiBoy wrote:Original Poster here... I've bought Pro-Q 2 in the Marketplace and will report back when the license arrives and I've had a decent amount of time to get to grips with it :)
I am sure you will find it easy and fun to work with :tu:
It's easy if you know how

Holy SHhhhh this is awesome!

First impressions: Nice, small efficient filesize download, easy install, easy activate, gorgeous GUI, very CPU-friendly (important to me on a crappy i5)... and such an intuitively designed interface. I love how it drops different curve types depending where you click. 24 curve points is more than I'll ever need. The notch filter is insane too, very surgical. It's just so damn easy to use.

I regret that I didn't get this sooner.

Thanks all!

Pro-Q 2 is the best clean sounding EQ i ever heard.
Clean and useful interface.
Full midi-learn.
You can changing the GUI size.
Authorize: only serial number.
Affordable price. :tu:

The more I use this thing the more I love it. Instead of studying the instruction manual I figured I would see if I could learn most of the functions just by exploring. Because of how intuitive it is, things kinda work how you expect them to work.

The CPU efficiency is amazing. I don't think I'll lust for another clean, precise mixing or mastering EQ again.

Got my eye on MB and C-2 next. Caught the bug!

Q2 is a great EQ. however I find I prefer other EQs for colouration, unique band characteristics, nonlinearities and coarse adjustments. For clean and surgical adjustments, or to zen out with the UI, its great. I use it when I want a clean, smooth sound with surigical accuracy. but for adding character etc I use other EQs. also I sometime like to work without a visual curve and gel with more analogue like GUIs with other EQs.

Powerful and precise with a wonderfully natural interface, I love Pro-Q 2. (And speaking of its cpu efficiency, I have the iOS version in Auria that I run on basically every track of every project, on an iPad Air 1 where every CPU cycle counts: It's wonderfully efficient).
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

Yah it won't make me coffee.
:borg:

OP here - been using Pro-Q 2 extensively and instinctly reach for it for everything, even (or maybe epsecially) mastering.

I'm curious about this 'Natural Phase' mode though.

Even where I know it's fine to use Minimum Phase (mixing instruments with low latency in mind), I still find Natural Phase to sound slightly more.. umm.. natural!

Does anyone know exactly what it's doing?

FF say:
Pro-Q 2's unique Natural Phase mode performs even better. It not only perfectly matches magnitude response of analog EQ'ing, but also closely matches the analog phase response. So it delivers the most accurate frequency response and best sound quality, even at the lowest frequencies and highest Q settings, without introducing noticable pre-ring or long latency!
So is it like a mixed phase? Somewhere inbetween minimum and linear? Like a halfway setting on DDMF LP10 or something? Or some kind of new and unique algorithm?

VST Plugin Analyzer is your friend.
It's easy if you know how

Great EQ. I use it on everything. Any niggles would be unimportant because of the plugin's quality.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

edit: deleted

A sonogram would make all the difference to me.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

You mean like a realtime spectrogram?

That would be nice but I can already get that with FL Studios built-in Wavecandy.

Spectrograms are very useful though - I rely on RX5's various analysis tools often including the spectral view.

Yes.
A separate analyzer is good, but a built-in spectrogram like Melda's EQs gives one-window convenience.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have only two wishes for Pro-Q 2:

- a way to solo the bands without having to hold down the mouse button
- if you enlarge the GUI, it would be good if also the labels would get enlarged.

Other than that, stellar EQ.

Return to “Effects”