Common, everyday arguing about drum machines and everything that could be considered as a DM.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is definitely something "missing" with VA drum sounds in comparison to real analog synthesis. For digital drum machine sounds software is great, but for analog drum sounds I prefer samples or the real deal.

I own/owned quite a few VA drum machines and they always left me wanting more after hearing the likes of the Elektron Rytm and other real analog drum synths..

Best VA i've heard for TR style sounds is probably rolands TR-8 which isn't a surprise since Rolands modelling tech is based on the original schematics.

Whatever makes you happy though right? If you like how it sounds then use it to make music.
:borg:

I think it's time to ask this now:

Why is General arguing about virtual drum machines?

:ud:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:I think it's time to ask this now:

I'll change the topic immediately :hihi:

I'm demoing Polyplex now and I begin to really like it.

I can summarize the cons as follow:
- Only samples
- Higher cpu usage compared to others (like Battery or Drum Machine/Drum Racks)
- No sequencer built in
- Requires Reaktor Player

but the pros are:
+ Very nice sounds
+ Easy and fast to have very good results.
+ Price is very reasonable especially when discounted :wink:

I think the pros weight more than the cons for me. 'Synthesis built in' is not that important because I can use a synth instead (with the character I want!). I also prefer the DAW's sequencer because I feel more control over every small details about the notes. Finally, the requirement for Reaktor Player is not a problem for me, I already use other Reaktor synths so I have it installed.

I'll see and compare with Battery 3 and see if Polyplex would be redundant beside it.

Lejurai wrote:
himalaya wrote:I think it's time to ask this now:

I'll change the topic immediately :hihi:
More importantly, who is this General?

Is there an army of minion VSTs all riding drum machines? Is the General arguing with his minion VSTs about which drum machines to ride into the next battle? Are they going to pick a fight with the additive synth minions?

Questions, questions...

Happy? :hihi:

Why not just "Drum Machines"? (instead of that essay! :hihi: )

I prefer to do drum or percussion sounds with "general purpose" synths rather than drum synths. I feel it is more flexible, and you also learn more about synthesis that way. My 2c. What would be really awesome would be to have a drum machine which can host VSTi's. Dunno why no dev ever thought or considered that. Or did one?

chk071 wrote:I prefer to do drum or percussion sounds with "general purpose" synths rather than drum synths. I feel it is more flexible, and you also learn more about synthesis that way. My 2c. What would be really awesome would be to have a drum machine which can host VSTi's. Dunno why no dev ever thought or considered that. Or did one?
Live Drum Racks can host vst's ...

Nice. :)

Bitwig drum machine can host vsts too.

And I like to use synths too to make drum sounds but dedicated drum machine is always nice ;)

*edit*

Also in Reason, you can wire redrum or kong to trigger synths. Redrum has a build in sequencer too so.. :hyper:

Lejurai wrote:Happy? :hihi:
Oh you have spoilt it now.
The Admiral has stepped in and the General can not finish his argument now.

Lejurai wrote: Also in Reason, you can wire redrum or kong to trigger synths. Redrum has a build in sequencer too so.. :hyper:
Yep, i knew about that. Pretty cool.

himalaya wrote:
Lejurai wrote:Happy? :hihi:
Oh you have spoilt it now.
The Admiral has stepped in and the General can not finish his argument now.
Admiral quality? O_o

private parts, major look. ahahaha.

here's a bit of grade a ignorable blagging. while i lack the .."sophistication" (not to knock it) of ..further understandings..

..my enthusiasm for the "circular oscillator" or whatever fancy name people like to call it..

s0 -= w * s1;
s1 += w * s0;

..has a similar form to analog circuitry.

- does not produce a perfect sine, has some harmonics (people often call it the "fast sine")

a lot of developers seem to stop there. it's a trick, a minor convenience with limited application.

- produces an oscillator in *quadrature* eg. two outputs, 90 degrees different (implying 4 taps at 90 degrees with inversions - you check out that 909 rimshot!)

i call this shit the ginsu dsp.

most people express use of this method maintaining a 1.0 system gain, but it can be configured to attenuate like a mass spring, or like the T bridge oscillator thingy. comprehend. many people are using an oscillator and an envelope in places where a single, efficient system, with its own intrinsics functions.

here's where i mess you up some.

the ginsu dsp also functions as a resonant bandpass filter. ..i said mass-spring ;) as a filter, it has relatively poor (laughable) band rejection, like maybe 40 dB, and thus underperforms by specification when compared to more conventional digital filter algorithms.

but you know what i tell ya folks it's the same kind/contour of lousy band rejection the bandpass filters on those cheap ass roland analog boxes have. get you that - low parts count, low complexity, serviceable result. method.

i try and tell people, but no, they want, some kind of super complex solution that they believe to be rocket science, and they don't want to hear it from a pariah. so private parts, i hand to you the secret to the entire universe, or at least, the digital emulation of analog circuits part of it. stop dicking around trying to outclass people and be humble. you can't trust society to tell you everything they don't want you to hear.

ginsu dsp. it can't split a watermelon but ffs why in 2016 are we trying to sell each other these things?

oh i should note that this "ginsu dsp filter" (it filters it oscillates) is "filter algorithm # 5" bandpass in cazimi and of course also used in bong. you'll observe a significant pop when switching filter modes in cazimi from the resonance :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Instruments”