Help degrading audio (Frits Wentink)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

So bit of a long shot, I've had a good look and nothing I came across really really struck a chord with me other than the obvious rolling off the tops and tube / tape / vinyl saturation & noise.

I'm looking to understand the process behind things like this:

https://soundcloud.com/fritswentink/set ... domrgwld01
&
https://soundcloud.com/fritswentink/set ... ayne-young

You can hear certain characteristics throughout his work that tie everything together.

I'm interested in the pitch modulations (of which there could be a more than a few techniques involved depending on the sound), roomy reverbs, distortion / saturation and how these all seem to glue together into a really tight space.

I find that It's not like listening to music, more like watching it on a crappy vhs in a small room and I'd like to understand better how to recreate this myself.

The releases I've heard sound concise and, despite the synthesis or samples contained in each song differing, the processing he's doing ties them all together.

I have a few distortion & delay pedals, an old Akai 4000ds some great old and new synths (Poly Evolver, Blofeld, Virus, Supernova2) and an Eventide Orville to play with along with a DAW stocked with Waves, DMG and Fabfilter plugs.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd really appreciate it.

I've been running things thru the Akai & DSI to distort and filter and have played with MDA detune and a few other things to get some pitch character but it's not coming close yet..
Last edited by realslow on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Links don't work
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:Links don't work
Same here.

Apologies,

I have edited the above so the links work..
Last edited by realslow on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm looking for plugins that could do this too. For starters, Isotope's free Vinyl might be excellent for you. It's great for what it does.

Second, Psychic Modulation's Phonec. It's a synth, but can also be used as an FX. it's designed for exactly that old VHS sound.

Try anything that wobbles, saturates, distorts, rolls off highs and/or lows. A few more examples:

- TB Reelbus (old rusty tape, chain some in series)
- Some tape wow n flutter Reaktor ensembles
- Sonitex-1260 (name?)
- chorus
- guitar fx

etc.

Aryaroman wrote:Psychic Modulation's Phonec. It's a synth, but can also be used as an FX. it's designed for exactly that old VHS sound.

Not heard of this, checking it now.

JerGoertz wrote:Try anything that wobbles, saturates, distorts, rolls off highs and/or lows. A few more examples:

- Sonitex-1260 (name?)
- chorus
- guitar fx

etc.
Some great ideas, I have a load of Reaktor bits that I've not looked at all year that could come in handy. I was pushing some bits thru my small stone but I wanted to get faster and less intense modulation going on that it is capable of, Might be worth modding it.

Really like the M/S & pitch bits on the Sonitex.

I figure a lot of the Glue I'm after comes with bedding some hum / hiss and one or two reverbs to sit everything?

You could give Decimort2 a shot, maybe Devastor2 and Fazortan as well ...

realslow wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:Try anything that wobbles, saturates, distorts, rolls off highs and/or lows. A few more examples:

- Sonitex-1260 (name?)
- chorus
- guitar fx

etc.
Some great ideas, I have a load of Reaktor bits that I've not looked at all year that could come in handy. I was pushing some bits thru my small stone but I wanted to get faster and less intense modulation going on that it is capable of, Might be worth modding it.

Really like the M/S & pitch bits on the Sonitex.

I figure a lot of the Glue I'm after comes with bedding some hum / hiss and one or two reverbs to sit everything?
Yeah, I think adding some noise can help, but don't go crazy. Reelbus allows you to dial it in, as does Sonitex.

A lot of good suggestions, I have the D16 plugs but rarely use them.

Ive found that running hot into the Akai & low into an EHX Metal Muff or Boss HM-2 both really good for beefing up the drums in this fashion, the latter two I wouldn't have ever though of as useful on drums. |

Downside with the pedals is mono only but I'm currently bouncing samples thru, will worry about stereo image later on.

A lot of the synths seem to rely on slow subtle pitch mods and faster but still subtle amp or filter mods for a warble although I'm assuming (from some of the piano and rhodes sections) that both of these mods can be added after too?

Still stuck on what sounds to me like vinyl push and pull so I'm thinking possibly Serato or similar is used a lot to post process grouped sounds.

As for the general space and tone I'm baffled. How do you get that consistency across such a variety of sounds..

Return to “Production Techniques”