Waves older plugs...time for a new GUI???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the Scheps73 has been the best GUI of their newer plugs. Waves ADT is another good one. It would be nice if their older plugins were larger. Especially with 4K and 5K monitors slowly becoming standard. I think FabFilter's EQ that goes full screen is a bit of a stretch, BUT yeah something along those lines. I also use Metric Halo a bit and how their plugs have 3 predetermined sizes is nice.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

MogwaiBoy wrote: I don't think it's my graphics kit. I have a beefy GeForce with drivers updated.

I'm not saying there are anomalies, flickering or errors in the GUI.. I'm just saying the knobs feel less responsive due to lower animation counts. For example a typical Waves knob the actual knob graphic might move in every 0.3 or 0.4 increment. Which means that between, say, 1.0 and 2.0 the knob graphic only moves a few times.

Yet other plugin developers (I mentioned the MJUC before as a perfect example).. the knob has a new animated "frame" for every single 0.1 or 0.2 increment... which means the knob *feels* very smooth and responsive to fine adjustments.

It's a minor issue, but kind of fundamental at the same time.
I see, might be personal preference thing. To be honest, I never paid too much attention to how knobs are moving (was actually listening, not looking :D ). On the other hand, I agree, modern plugins should tend to be smooth and touchscreen-compatible.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Don' t touch to my renaissance bundle GUI ! (Mabe make it resizable...but nothing else! )

^ yes, maybe resizable but nothing else, I like R plugins GUI also, they are classics.

Waves has updated the GUIs of those old plugins lots of times. They just haven't changed the designs. If you look at super old screenshots of their stuff along side the current versions they look noticeably better. It would be cool if they made them freely resizable, but all those old plugins are so easy to use that I wouldn't want a new GUI.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I think they absolutely do need another refresh. Hopefully they will nail it for version 10.

It might upset a few though. Perhaps having an option for the older users to opt to use the "classic" interface as oppose to modern. I don't mind if they lose the skeuomorphic interface for those, since they aren't really based on anything real world anyway. Scalable would be great, i agree.

I do believe skeuomorphic interface design does have its place though and it extends from understanding of the human psychology. In short, the more tactile you make an interface look at feel the more it will make people want to reach out and touch it. Hence, it makes people want to use it. It's certainly been more than enough to make people want to buy it!!

However, thats not really relevant for their classic plugins.

Personally I'm not asking for even scalability. Just fitting the modern bigger resolution would be enough.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

V11 out and no resizable GUIs!

Hopefully they'll nail it with V12 in 2020?

jzero wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm V11 out and no resizable GUIs!

Hopefully they'll nail it with V12 in 2020?
Haha!! Yeah, for some reason Waves and Plugin Alliance seem to be resistant to scalable UI. Who knows, maybe soon. Maybe it requires the newer OS architecture to work. I doubt it, but that would be sweet.

There are quite a few companies that don’t go back and update UIs for older software, including some very large companies.

Korg is really bad at this to the point that it’s getting near to impossible to read the UI text for some of the Legacy Collection plugins.

The GUI update for Renaissance plugins made them worse not better.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

We can always use old GUI, it is switchable
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:28 pm The GUI update for Renaissance plugins made them worse not better.
I would disagree with this, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It kind of reminds me of some of the Logic plugin interfaces. I'm actually using it now instead of avoiding it. Much improved usability in my opinion.

Personally I prefer the Dark mode, it's more akin to its original aesthetics, the best bits. I've got to say I'm not a fan of those huge drop shadows on the display, though.

I certainly think its a sold step forward and it just may be promising in terms of more AUI updates ti come. Here's hoping.

Return to “Effects”