One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I feel that sound design is one of the fun parts of OSC. Some times I take an existing preset and tweak it until it fit what I am looking for and some times I create the sound from the init patch. This is how I normally work for anything outside OSC as well.

When I judge the sound in a track I am of course listening to the sound design but for me it is more about the composition of the sounds and selection of sounds. The person creating the track may or may not have a talent for choosing the correct sounds that goes well together and that sit well in the track. This is what I personally pay attention to. Here at OSC people share presets for drums and other sounds that they made, in order to help each other. So I can't know if the drums I hear in a track was actually created by someone else or not. So for me it's less important.

At least that's my view ;)
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

rghvdberg wrote:uhm ... here my understanding of English comes short :?
bjporter wrote:Who would absolutely love to see a synth edit synth come around?
what does it mean
(please tick appropriate box)
  • Yes to Synth Edit synths
  • No to Synth Edit synths
confused Dutchie is confused
Hehe... good question.

Synth edit synths can be divisive, so I'm interesting in hearing your thoughts about the matter. Should we do more of them? Should we never do them?

Synth Edit synths are 32 bits only (with a few paid exceptions). I'd prefer to not have 32 bits synths in OSC.

Well, synthedit stuff generally works well in Linux but it pains me if other people have problems with them.

I vote for Helm or HG stuff.

HG will be quite challenging for making drums I guess. Working with a wavetable synth will be a new experience for me. Nice opportunity to learn something new. :tu:
But aren't these 32 bit windows only too? :?:

Can't wait for the next osc. :hyper:
This stuff is addictive. I feel I've really grown as a musician by doing this.

When will the new challenge begin? Can't wait! :party: Helm would be nice indeed!
Last edited by Darksynth FX on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darksynth FX wrote:Helm would be nice indeed!
As long as loading enough instances doesn't consume all your RAM...

Darksynth FX wrote:When will the new challenge begin? Can't wait! :party: Helm would be nice indeed!
Will announce soon!

Synthedit is love! :oops:

alvfaria wrote:Synthedit is love! :oops:
I love them too :oops: :oops: ... glad i'm not alone :hug:

bjporter wrote:
I just wish it was cross-platform and easy to provide 64-bit builds... There have been some good OSC tracks composed with SE synths, for sure! (Even a few of mine, before I swapped to Mac)

z.prime wrote:
bjporter wrote:
I just wish it was cross-platform and easy to provide 64-bit builds... There have been some good OSC tracks composed with SE synths, for sure! (Even a few of mine, before I swapped to Mac)
That would be a renaissance for OSC... it would literally be a new age

Mostly off-topic, but OMG, this would be brutal: http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/

That "Fiftyninety" looks crazy :D ... I bet the first tracks might be good but after 30 or so tracks the inspiration level would be down to zero.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I have been checking out OSC from the past, just to know what synths that have been used. I saw there was some commercial ones as well. How did that happen? Did those developers give a free license for a month or something like that? :?:

In those cases 32-bit / 64-bit and even AU would not have been an issue I guess. Everyone could really join in :tu:

I have no preference when it comes to synth. Synthedit is fine :wink:

ATN69 wrote:OSC from the past ... commercial ones as well. How did that happen? Did those developers give a free license for a month or something like that? :?:
Some of them had no-restriction 30-day trials. There was another that was on insane sale of $30 or something similar, I believe. Mostly it's been synths that allowed unrestricted (E.g. saving, no random noises) for 30 days. Another has bee the 'any synth' challenge, when people can pick their favorite commercial synths (I can't wait for that one to come back around! ;)).

Return to “Instruments”