Brainworx bx_console: Any users here?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

n/m
Last edited by incubus on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

VCC models console preamp/signal path and mix bus amp non-linearities, bx_console does not. A more logical comparison would be against VMR EQ/dynamics minus the VCC.

In fact bx_console can work pretty well alongside a console emu. With Britson for example you'll get the vintage Neve color plus the modern Neve EQ and dynamics... pretty nice combination.

Sim.Sky wrote:Just a heads up for those who are interested in buying it: if you add the bx_tuner to your cart as well at PA you get an automatic bundle discount which leads to a significant price drop.

bx_console: price with 19% VAT = 213,01 EUR. bx_console + bx_tuner with 19% VAT = 157 EUR
Hello Sim Sky, i'm just passing to thank you for the information. However; i ended spending too much. haha thanks!

Robert Randolph wrote:
HUGE tip there.

The discount goes up if you buy more too.

You could get bx_console, sandman, bx_limiter, bx_tuner and bx_boom for $159usd.

What a deal. Toss on g8 for another $8, pex-500 for another $8... ($172 total now)

Throw in bx_meter and that's -$1 for a total of $171.

Quite the bundle system.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of the bundle discounts. When I loaded up my cart, I was pleasantly surprised. What a great deal! :)

BX Console doesn't model any saturation or colour so can't compare it to VCC, VCC is a console preamp emulation. BX Console does emulation of each channel sounding slightly different to the other and the EQ curves.

I demoed bx_console over the weekend, fell in love, and bought it. It's the first channel strip I've tested that I bought.

BTW, they just put it back on sale for US$179 through July 4, so you all have more time to consider it.
Bouroki wrote:VCC models console preamp/signal path and mix bus amp non-linearities, bx_console does not. A more logical comparison would be against VMR EQ/dynamics minus the VCC.

In fact bx_console can work pretty well alongside a console emu. With Britson for example you'll get the vintage Neve color plus the modern Neve EQ and dynamics... pretty nice combination.
Excellent idea; I found that config to be quite nice this weekend as well.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I couldn't wait for the sale and bought it a few months ago 2nd hand off this form for slightly less than the $180 sale price. I've used in on several tunes and will continue to use it. I place it on every track with a different stereo rail setting for each track. Its a nice balance between the very subtle Waves SSL and the overtly saturated Sknote Strip. It's right in that "musical" zone. and the channel tools are excellent.

So after seeing that I could add plugins and get it for cheaper I am not reconsidering bx_console. The question I have is "would it be overkill to have bx_console, Slate VCC & NLS from Waves?"

Lately I have been trying not to make so many redundant purchases as I have in the past 3 years. I have 1176s from Native Instruments, Waves, Slate (new blues), Universal Audio & T-Racks. They all do something different. Each have the high point and low point. I read up on bx_console and from what I understand there is a level of "tolerance" between the components on each channel. Therefore I'm assuming that the same settings on two difference channels will not null. I think that is cool. Lately I've been falling back in love with Waves NLS. Putting as the last insert. Is anyone using bx_console with NLS? decent results? I use Slate's VCC on busses but not so much on channels, but I'm interested in results of stacking VCC with bx_console as well.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

DJbrimLo wrote:So after seeing that I could add plugins and get it for cheaper I am not reconsidering bx_console. The question I have is "would it be overkill to have bx_console, Slate VCC & NLS from Waves?"

Lately I have been trying not to make so many redundant purchases as I have in the past 3 years. I have 1176s from Native Instruments, Waves, Slate (new blues), Universal Audio & T-Racks. They all do something different. Each have the high point and low point. I read up on bx_console and from what I understand there is a level of "tolerance" between the components on each channel. Therefore I'm assuming that the same settings on two difference channels will not null. I think that is cool. Lately I've been falling back in love with Waves NLS. Putting as the last insert. Is anyone using bx_console with NLS? decent results? I use Slate's VCC on busses but not so much on channels, but I'm interested in results of stacking VCC with bx_console as well.
bx_console is a full on channel strip, no saturation modeling. Similar result whether you use bx_console or EQ/comp/gate with VCC with some variations between channel numbers and L/R on stereo tracks.

It's down to you liking its workflow or not more than any random variations, unless your mix consist of nothing but copy pasting the same settings across 50 tracks..

Robert Randolph wrote: Basically $18 off the sale price of bx_console and 7 plugins for free. Sandman and G8 are quite cool too.
Why thank you! :D

Jax Pok wrote:BX Console doesn't model any saturation or colour so can't compare it to VCC, VCC is a console preamp emulation.
I disagree. VCC models the channels of several individual consoles. It doesn't just model their preamps. However, as with other channel/console strips (like Britson), the emulated channels do not contain the EQ and other features contained in a real mixing desk. Bx_console also models console channels, but as opposed to VCC, it models several channels of one mixing desk.

So, since both products model real consoles, including the natural saturation of the consoles, they can very well be (and even should be!) compared - provided you switch off the EQ, comp and gate on bx_console.

thelizard wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: Basically $18 off the sale price of bx_console and 7 plugins for free. Sandman and G8 are quite cool too.
Why thank you! :D
or 1x Console + 7x Tuner = even lower price for Console

Yes, their 'add one more thing for a greater discount' is pernicious. I've gone down the the full 8 items for 50% off road twice. ;)

I adore bx_console. It's super easy on the CPU, so I run it on every track. The filters, compressor, and EQ really get me 75% of the way there on almost any track. The effect of the distinct channels is subtle individually, but I've noticed a noticeable improvement on every song I've 're-tooled' to use bx_console as the main channel strip.

I can't speak to whether it's better than other more expensive alternatives, but for the price you can get it for as part of a big bundle, it's incredible for the price. And the authentication process has always worked simply and flawlessly for me, and I like the whole Plugin Alliance vibe.

In the stuff that's currently on sale at the moment on their site, I also recommend bx_refinement, bx_boom, bx_stereo maker, and the amazing EQ4. (The air band it just lovely). I really like bx_limiter, but it's a bit heavy on the CPU. SPL TwinTube and Attacker are nice, as is Museq. I know that some folks love Unfiltered Audio's G8 and Sandman, but I haven't had a chance to use them in any of my songs. bx_meter and bx_tuner are great items to add to bring the overall price down! (And bx_meter is actually really useful)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

Yep, bx_console user here. I picked it up when I jumped the good ship Slate. Would highly recommend anyone to take the demo for a spin.

db3 wrote:Yep, bx_console user here. I picked it up when I jumped the good ship Slate. Would highly recommend anyone to take the demo for a spin.
I did. Didn't care for it. The eq and the comp isn't anything close imnsho. It's not even close to virtually anything I've used, don't get it at all.

Return to “Effects”