Why there are so many plug-ins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know what it does, I know exactly what is a reverb, a delay, I know all those knobs that I tweak, what it does and how to use it.
However, I got a Wave bundles and there are too many plug-ins to choose. For example, EQ stock itself already have like a EQ3 7 band (Protool default), Manny M EQ, Q10, and my friend suggest me to buy Fab Filter EQ, but the only different I see when compare the Fab filter and EQ3 7 band is that Fab Filter let you listen to specific frequencies, and EQ3 don't...

I know this is a common question, but I still haven't got a satisfied answer yet. can anyone help explain? :help:
:hihi: :love:

Why did you buy a Waves bundle if you don't need all the plugins?

phantamquyen wrote:I know what it does, I know exactly what is a reverb, a delay, I know all those knobs that I tweak, what it does and how to use it.
However, I got a Wave bundles and there are too many plug-ins to choose. For example, EQ stock itself already have like a EQ3 7 band (Protool default), Manny M EQ, Q10, and my friend suggest me to buy Fab Filter EQ, but the only different I see when compare the Fab filter and EQ3 7 band is that Fab Filter let you listen to specific frequencies, and EQ3 don't...

I know this is a common question, but I still haven't got a satisfied answer yet. can anyone help explain? :help:
Ask P.T. Barnum........ :wink:

Lots of reasons, but mainly because sound design is an art and there are many ways to shape sound to your liking, consider them like "colours" in an artist palette.
dedication to flying

Piratebay is bad mmhkay.

chk071 wrote:Piratebay is bad mmhkay.
:hihi:

Lolz, you're funny, but no, I didn't pirate it. The post-production I currently working for, they bought it for the last mixing engineer, I'm just lucky to have a chance to have so many plug-ins.

Hey there, it sounds like you got a Waves bundle with alot of mixing plug-ins!

So, alright, listen...Waves divides their plugs into something called components, which are intended to allow the user to use precisely the configuration that they want, but I think that this approach also overwhelms & confuses some new users!!!

For example, the Q10 equalizer can be loaded into your DAW with 2,4,6 or even 8 bands, if you like, instead of 10 bands, which I think is the "default" setting...and this creates terrible clutter on software menus. Really, just terrible clutter, and who in the heck needs that, huh??? :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

See, all this is designed for convenience, but it can, as I said, overwhelm a new user!!!

So my advice is to just do your best with this...and also know that modern DAW's (like good ol' SONAR) have something called "plug-in managers", where the user can organize all that stuff, and fix it so you only see the plug-ins that you want to see!!! This is huge!!! Really super cool, see... :lol: :hihi: :clap:

Yeah, so okay...if you don't know anything about "plug-in managers",, then start learning about that stuff now...

Did this help you??? 8)

phantamquyen wrote:
Lolz, you're funny, but no, I didn't pirate it. The post-production I currently working for, they bought it for the last mixing engineer, I'm just lucky to have a chance to have so many plug-ins.
I see, nevermind then. Was halfway jerking around anyway.

Grizzellda wrote: ...See, all this is designed for convenience, but it can, as I said, overwhelm a new user!!!

So my advice is to just do your best with this...and also know that modern DAW's (like good ol' SONAR) have something called "plug-in managers", where the user can organize all that stuff, and fix it so you only see the plug-ins that you want to see!!! This is huge!!! Really super cool, see... :lol: :hihi: :clap:

Yeah, so okay...if you don't know anything about "plug-in managers",, then start learning about that stuff now...

Did this help you??? 8)
Yes, this help, I think I understand now, it's just help experiences users to work better, and faster. Is this what you're trying to say?

I don't see the point of having more than one effect plugin for each duty unless the plugin combines processes in a way that would take time to put together. Though you'll probably have to try many to reach a conclusion as to which you favour.

For basic mixing duties, the stock plugins in any DAW should be good enough.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Why did you buy a Waves bundle if you don't need all the plugins?

if I only bought what I "needed" I would have A LOT less plugins. But also a lot less fun. :)
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

phantamquyen wrote:Yes, this help, I think I understand now, it's just help experiences users to work better, and faster. Is this what you're trying to say?
Well, a couple of things:

-Waves plug-ins seem a little different than other companies because of their Waveshell technology, which delivers the plug-ins as components, like I said. That is why you are seeing so many plug-ins. This is so you can load an equalizer with just 2 bands, if that's all you need...or 8 bands! Components are different versions of the same plug-in, and it creates sprawling menus.

-If you want to organize your plug-in collection, from all manufacturers, most good DAW's have a plug-in manager, which can help you work better, and faster. Plugs can be sorted into folders, and things will be alot neater!
Unaspected wrote:I don't see the point of having more than one effect plugin for each duty unless the plugin combines processes in a way that would take time to put together. Though you'll probably have to try many to reach a conclusion as to which you favour.

For basic mixing duties, the stock plugins in any DAW should be good enough.
Except that plug-ins from various manufacturers have differing features & levels of sound quality. And then there is the question of usability, and the GUI. So I like having a few flangers, a few phasers... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

So I have a few recommendations with learning which plugins to choose. Waves Gold Bundles was my second purchase plugin purchase when I "went legit" 3 years ago... LOL!!! buying into UAD's platform was the first. I recommend having some time on your hands when you get to know your plugins. For instance if you want to understand why you would use Manny's EQ over Q10 then duplicate a piece of recorded audio. Vocals, Keyboards, Drums or whatever. Boost what seem to be similar frequencies. And then A/B so that you can hear the "color" that one imparts versus the other. I would also compare this to the stock EQ in your DAW. Q10 does not saturate or resonate so therefore it is a color less EQ. Other options available have color. Some more than others. Getting a feel for the color from your gear (plugins) will help you know which ones you want when. I've been using the SSL Channel from Waves for so long I know when band I'm reaching for soon as I hear something 75% of the time. I hope that helps
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

DJbrimLo wrote:buying into UAD's platform was the first. I recommend having some time on your hands when you get to know your plugins.
I think this is a newbie question, but what is UAD's platform? and someone also mention Waveshell Techonlogy previsously, what is all of this? Is it the same with VST plug-ins or AU plug-ins... :scared: :help:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”