Xhip vs Analog Hardware

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Xhip Synthesizer

With several instances and external effects you can make almost any synth sound like that 8) And it's not even an impressive sound or anything :hihi:
Why did you use three instances, doesn't Xhip have several oscillators as well?
Which major settings did you use? Want to try it on my synth 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:With several instances and external effects you can make almost any synth sound like that 8)
Yes, actually i also tried it on Elektrostudio Model Mini, Diva Demo, Arturia Minimoog Original. :)
fluffy_little_something wrote:And it's not even an impressive sound or anything :hihi
No. :)
fluffy_little_something wrote:Why did you use three instances, doesn't Xhip have several oscillators as well?
First because Xhip doesn't have the shark tooth wave, i made it from saw and triangle.
Second because i wanted to be able to use different overdrive and EQ settings.
fluffy_little_something wrote:Which major settings did you use? Want to try it on my synth 8)
Look at the video, all the panel settings are clearly visible when Celldweller is playing, you can dial the correct detune amounts by listening to the frequency of beating.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:So a new type of key to volume would be great, where it obeyed the glide knob value to avoid the clicks.
That would be I'm guessing "glide to volume" which would be a "mod-matrix" thing.

Xhip can do this now but it requires the addition of a routing table for the voice "mod-matrix".

Actually the clicks shouldn't occur since the volume parameter should be smoothed. Either the smoothing isn't being applied to the parameter or some sort of bug exists.

I've just tested it under r725 and it works correctly:
  • Output amplitude
  • Mix - Osc A, B, Ringmod, Noise
The parameter filter runs at 200 ms (< 40 dB). That should be ~1.5 Hz and slightly longer than an equal (200 ms) attack time of the envelope. (Or a 200 ms log glide.)

http://xhip.net/temp/route_key_to_mix_level.wav

If you're getting a click this is likely due to the fact the parameter filter is a "one-pole" and so you'll end up with at best 20 dB/decade slope on larger pulse inputs. Greater than 80 dB slope would be better for amplitude modulation, but it isn't possible without per-sample modulation "processors" which are very expensive and not planned for Xhip.

Even more likely though you are using a version which didn't apply the filter correctly to route inputs, this is one of the reasons I was hesitant to implement the route chunk without first fixing the bugs. Some still exist in r725, although it mostly works.

I suspect that is the problem. If not I could apply a 80 dB/decade filter specifically to the amplitude parameters although this would slightly increase the expense associated with adjusting those parameters. (Via automation, routing or otherwise.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Or maybe the clicks were there because i used 3 instances and overdriven them a little bit.
I'll check now with 1 instance.

[edit]
OK, no clicks with the latest alpha, clicks with the 102% asymptote old alpha.

Sorry, my fault. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Oops ! :)
Forgot to say >thank you very much< for the new alpha 738 when i downloaded it about ten days ago.
Some things in real life dragged me away from music for a bit.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

https://soundcloud.com/xhip/whistle

http://xhip.net/alpha/releases/synth_drums_1b.adxb
http://xhip.net/alpha/releases/presets/ ... istle.adxi
http://xhip.net/alpha/releases/presets/ ... istle.adxi

:)

Hopefully I should get around to finishing the implementation of the last bits of the menu soon so I can turn my attention to perfecting the routing functionality and preparing everything for the RC stage.

Summer is always a bit of a slow time for writing code. Biggest thing is warm temperatures and sitting in front of a PC = not a good mixture.

That and in competition with outdoor summertime activities the music / PC stuff tends to get neglected a bit.

So long as real life is fun don't put it aside! Hopefully this was the good sort of dragging rather than bad.

:x ugh time with family, camping trips to the lakes and mountains with friends... those friends just don't appreciate my important PC time!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Elo everyone. :)
KVR user fuztec25 asked me to post Xhip patches i used for my Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond cover (WIP).

Here is the latest version of the cover:
https://app.box.com/s/mbpxke6bdpq66cq1pn6cvmz4rz9d1haz

MIDI still unfinished, most of the "falling diamonds" notes and sounds are missing, maybe some day i'll also add the part where the guitar comes in.
And i'll keep tweaking the sounds too. :)

The patches:
https://app.box.com/s/ndb3ok2srlmy8lveoca4hibb0296vhtl
These should work in the alpha version.

*Don't expect the dry synth to sound like that mp3 above, it requires a lot of EQ, reverb, delay, some phaser on A part of the strings patch, etc.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Summer is formally and officially over!

Looking forward to a feature-locked (esp in terms of patch handling) xhip :)

Boards of Canada - Roygbiv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0gRc2c2wQ
Roland SH101 bass right at the start.
I don't know why i like it, but i like it.
Left channel = 2 instances of Xhip + lots of effects, summed to mono.
Right channel = probably 1 instance of SH101 + lots of effects, summed to mono.
https://app.box.com/s/7bsxwcffmgtkei13dcf1okzld9e7qtn4
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

.jon wrote:Summer is formally and officially over!

Looking forward to a feature-locked (esp in terms of patch handling) xhip :)
What are you referring to specifically in terms of "feature locked" and "patch handling" ?

The functionality of the alpha has remained compatible with the last version and you can import the old presets just fine currently as far as I'm aware.

One of the remaining issues is the ability to import old projects. They will currently load okay with the alpha (although the alpha has a different plugin name/version) but some features like the velocity/bender route settings from v7 won't be imported to the new route page. That is actually very easy to fix and should only take me about half an hour when I get around to it, I've mostly been focused on fixing up other stuff.

In addition to that the functionality of the route page isn't "perfect" since it fights/interferes with parameter changes via the GUI or automation inputs.

I've recommended that people don't try to completely replace version 7 with the alpha because things "might" change in the future that will lead to some sort of incompatibility. That doesn't mean as they are now they're incompatible, or that any new features or other changes are planned.

Nothing stops anyone from using both version 7 and the alpha on the same system even at the same time so long as you're aware the old version can't import newer presets from the alpha due to incompatible changes to the file format itself. If anything were to happen to make current alpha presets fail to load correctly on a future alpha version or version 8 (however unlikely), I'd be happy to look at and fix that problem on an individual basis if you send me a collection of presets and let me know what's gone wrong. Once the alpha can be used as a straight-across replacement for version 7, that will put it into RC testing and it will become the version 8 release once any bugs/issues are fixed.

I (mis?)understood that patches made with the current alpha might not be compatible with future releases, which would be reasonable to expect considering the alpha status. Backwards compatibility with 7 is not an issue to me, like you said, different plugin.

Basically I'd just like to include the alpha already in my setup, impatient me :)

aciddose wrote:Nothing stops anyone from using both version 7 and the alpha on the same system even at the same time
And that is what i do. :)
I also archive Xhip versions, so i can even load projects made 5 or more years ago without any problems.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

You just need to keep track of your presets. For example create a directory tree like "xhip / alpha / r738", save the presets/banks from the current version there. If you notice in the next alpha I upload "something sounds wrong" and you can put in the effort and narrow it down "the pitch mod from LFO to OSC.B is 2x as much", either you could send me the files and I'll fix them, or you could try to fix them yourself.

Definitely don't get alpha presets mixed up with version 7 because you'll definitely end up over-writing something you didn't want to and it won't load in v7 anymore.

What Mutant says is also a great idea. If you create a new project with a new version, throw that version in your backups and label the project somehow "uses Xhip alpha r738". Otherwise you'll risk that small changes might go unnoticed and the next time in some years when you load that project it might sound a tiny bit different.

Also keep in mind all the stuff I say about the alpha version on the page: it could always crash! If you've tested it to the point where you feel secure enough I'm not going to tell you what to do :) I do use the alpha as my primary synth plug-in and it seems (to me at least) like it works fine.

I'm hoping to have another alpha available soon which should fix some quite major issues with the current one. (Not loading in some hosts.)

r738 presets should (it's the goal) load in the next version perfectly. If not, that's what the point of the alpha is! Let me know so I can fix anything I've missed.

Just don't spend six months on your new album with alpha r738 and then upgrade two days before you need to render the masters. It may not work and I'll almost definitely not be able to fix it in 30 minutes :)

Folder per revision sounds perfect, I'll do that. I'm not really worried about patches sounding slightly different, they'll be tweaked anyway before making it into a song. I just don't want to save 50 patches that wouldn't load at all in later versions.

If that ever happens be sure to message me so you can email the presets. I'll be able to track down the exact differences between the versions and ensure that the presets are modified so they load perfectly in the current version.

That's on the TODO list for imports from version 7 still, it's one of the last things I'll do before the RC stage. During RC testing I'll be hoping that a lot more people will test the RC than have tested the alpha, and if they find any problems importing any presets (6, 7, from an alpha) I'd want them to report that. It can't be fixed in every case by changing the plug-in (RC) but I can always fix the preset files themselves and email them back.

Failing to load entirely is similar to a crash. If you ever experience this in any version please let me know! Version 7 should (obvious I hope) not be able to load alpha presets, but the alpha and RC or version 8 should load all past presets even if there are differences in sound.

Return to “Instruments”