Dynamic Range Compressor plug in.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

I'm streaming songs on my mac and would like to balance the levels between the tracks. Im not using spotify or anything else that offers the capability to do this (nor can I analyse the data and do it that way like iTunes does.)

I'm running the audio on a Mac through AU lab so am wondering if there's a AU plugin that provides Dynamic Range Compression (I understand that is what broadcasters use and is what I need).

Currently I'm using the Loudmax limiter but of course that's only levelling the transients in the louder tracks rather than simply turning them down (or the quieter tracks up).
I've read stuff about Soundflower but i think that is just a standard compressor.

Any ideas (or failing that is there an effective attack/release/ratio setting for a compressor that will do the job).

thanks

Have a look at MeldaProduction:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/MAGC
and
http://www.meldaproduction.com/MCompare
for starters
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thank you DarkStar
Looks like it would do the job. Except it's $49. Im looking for something free since it's for my workplace and im not prepared to pay for it (them neither!).
Any other suggestions welcome tho.

S

So you're looking for a free, general purpose compressor? A couple of the best around are the Kotelnikov by Tokyo Dawn Labs, the Molot (and check out the Limiter No.6 too) by Vladg Sound and the DCAM FreeComp by FXpansion.

But they are plugins so you need to have a DAW (recording/music making software) to load them into. If you're on a Mac you'll have Garageband.

When we stream music at work the older produced music is much quieter than the modern stuff (cos its all compressed to sh!t). I want to make the difference less audible.
Unless I've confused myself, no its not a standard compressor I need. I think I need a sort of Limiter/maximiser that somehow raises the gain of a quiet track to the threshold (rather than squash the peaks a loud track that are above the threshold which Loudmax seems to do cos it has a 'gain reduction' meter. I dont want to compress the loud tracks any further).
Unless I use a standard compressor and set a long release time? If so how long? I just thought that would make it pump...

s

Basically I want to do what what 'soundcheck' does in iTunes. But with live playback.

You're probably looking for a simple desktop media player that includes compression/limiting.

Going the plugin route, this is a good deal with an extra $50 off:
http://www.waves.com/plugins/maxxvolume ... maxxvolume

Combines expansion, compression and limiting.

The dude appears to want something like an Auto Gain, not destroy stuff even more than it already is with more compression and/or limiting.

I have no suggestions though...in theory there probably is alot of suggestions, but reality isn't bend to the will of theory and 'precived loudness balance' is a tricky thing, RMS only takes you so far....

a simple limiter would do the trick: limiter6 from vlagd sound as suggested, also melda free bundle has a limiter. Kazrog Kclip has a free version. Toneboosters Barricade also. IF you want to compress more that is. Autogain plugins to my knowledge no freebie there but maybe someone knows of one...
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I think an auto gain plugin would be ideal for what you're doing. MAGC is part of Melda's free bundle.

I don't think a compressor or limiter alone would do what you need.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Thanks people for your help.

Unfortunately Melda's free bundle is only available if you buy their $49 bundle first!
It seems Hornet requires a second audio signal that it uses as a reference to control the output. Im just using a single signal (the tunes!).

This is crazy. Surely a simple gain controller that looks ahead and turns stuff down (doesnt compress) if it's over a threshold is both easy to build and useful for playlists/djs. It's on iTunes for precisely that reason.

Looks like its going to have to be a Limiter/compressor with a very long release so that it's effectively reducing the gain for long periods once it's triggered by the first peak in a track?..

S

MeldaProduction's Free bundle is free. No need to pay anything.
The software is totally free of charge, so please download and enjoy! You should consider upgrading to a professional version though, as this is what you would get:
  • You can change size and style of the plugins.
    You can access the sonogram feature in the analyzers and equalizers.
    You can manipulate (save, load, organise) your own presets.
    Most plugins can perform upsampling which minimizes aliasing, therefore it is useful to improve sound quality.
    The plugins will not display the big red reminder box with our clickable logo at the bottom of every GUI.
    You will make us happy and help us develop more free software ;-).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Apologies. You're right. Downloading now. Not sure the MAGC one is the one since it requires a sidechain signal. But i'm sure something in that bundle will do it.
s

Return to “Effects”