SoloRack modular synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow. You've gotten a lot of things right which Softube got wrong. The patch cables, moving modules around, and a wider assortment of modules without having to buy them a la carte. I can't wait to try this!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Well, first impressions are... pretty damn smooth modulations. I'm not hearing clicking or popping or funny reactions in the short vid. Seems to respond well. That in itself gets you an A for effort.

Does it have oversampling? :hihi:

deastman wrote:Wow. You've gotten a lot of things right which Softube got wrong. The patch cables, moving modules around, and a wider assortment of modules without having to buy them a la carte. I can't wait to try this!
Thanks, glad you like, But I never said anything about the "a la carte" part :). The synth engine it self is going to be free, you buy only the individual modules you want. This is similar to what you do in eurorack.
Dasheesh wrote:Well, first impressions are... pretty damn smooth modulations. I'm not hearing clicking or popping or funny reactions in the short vid. Seems to respond well. That in itself gets you an A for effort.
Thanks. Smooth knob control is embedded within each knob no matter how fast or slow you move, it reacts in a way that approximates "exponential decay" which is in a way similar to the physics of your hand when you move a real knob.

Smooth modulation happens because every thing runs at audio rate. Even LFOs and EGs. This guarantees no stepping, unless offcourse it's intended like in a stair steps waveform.
camsr wrote:Does it have oversampling? :hihi:
Yes, costume oversampling. Where you get to choose how much oversampling you want :).
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote:
deastman wrote:Wow. You've gotten a lot of things right which Softube got wrong. The patch cables, moving modules around, and a wider assortment of modules without having to buy them a la carte. I can't wait to try this!
Thanks, glad you like, But I never said anything about the "a la carte" part :). The synth engine it self is going to be free, you buy only the individual modules you want. This is similar to what you do in eurorack.
Dasheesh wrote:Well, first impressions are... pretty damn smooth modulations. I'm not hearing clicking or popping or funny reactions in the short vid. Seems to respond well. That in itself gets you an A for effort.
Thanks. Smooth knob control is embedded within each knob no matter how fast or slow you move, it reacts in a way that approximates "exponential decay" which is in a way similar to the physics of your hand when you move a real knob.

Smooth modulation happens because every thing runs at audio rate. Even LFOs and EGs. This guarantees no stepping, unless offcourse it's intended like in a stair steps waveform.
Yes, costume oversampling. Where you get to choose how much oversampling you want :).
So in other words, there are no stock modules at all?

Really interesting stuff. I have to wonder why it is that you were able to pull that off where so many others failed. In other words what's the catch? Can it do polyphony? Does it eat cpu like hostess donuts? Just curious. You've seemingly pulled off the impossible here. An audio rate smooth modulating software modular with over sampling and limitless routing with no intentions of screwing the customers with crap protection schemes.

wagtunes wrote:
S0lo wrote:

So in other words, there are no stock modules at all?
For now, I'll say YES, except for the "output" module which comes for free. And later on the "input" module to let the rack work as an effect. I do this for two reasons:

1. Many people may not want a few stock modules or so. Why should they pay for it? Specially euroack users who may just want an additional oscillator or LFO to connect with their eurorack setup. Yes, Eurorack connectivity is planed.

2. I would like people to think and dig into the details of the modules they are buying. Instead of getting a bundled synth just because it's on an offer, and then end up using it once or twice like I did many many times :dog:. This is specially relevant for a modular if you think of it. You don't really wana just buy a modular to flip presets do you?

Now you might ask how are the presets gona work if you have a subset of the modules? Good question. hmmm... All the modules will be usable any way whether you buy them or not. The ones that aren't purchased will be on DEMO mode, ie. they will work but some thing is missing. I haven't decided what yet, may be I'll block the saving or maybe I'll produce some noise from now and then.

Honestly, I'm not a business man, so I'm not sure if the crap I just said regarding licensing would actually work in the real world :hihi:. I'll figure out some thing if it doesn't.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

You've definitely piqued my interest! Looks very, very nice, and sounds good too from what's available in the demo.

Could you post some audio/youtube demos of basic "bread & butter VA" sounds? Just so we can get an idea of the basic sound quality of the engine and "stock" modules? :?: :) :?:
A well-behaved signature.

My immediate reaction to your a la carte pricing is "good luck". But just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of ballpark pricing were you considering per module?

deastman wrote:My immediate reaction to your a la carte pricing is "good luck". But just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of ballpark pricing were you considering per module?
Just off the top of my head, say he priced each module at $10 a piece.

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

Just for those 4 basic modules you're looking at $40. At $20 a piece, that's $80.

I can see this thing costing a small fortune just for a very basic setup.

Not quite as excited about this as I was initially.

mcbpete wrote:If it works on Ableton 64bit using Windows 10 you've already got one up over Softube's latest release :)

Big question - Does it accept audio from the DAW as a modular *effects* rack ?
I had the demo working fine on that exact system. It's Lives fault as its doing something that gets screwed up in 10. Just run it in 8 comparability mode. Works like a charm. (Though it's super CPU hungry)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

deastman wrote:My immediate reaction to your a la carte pricing is "good luck". But just for the sake of curiosity, what kind of ballpark pricing were you considering per module?
I'm with you. I don't dig that model at all and "that's how eurorack works" is not relevant. I say release it as a bundle and maybe have a few levels. "Pro" or "west coast." Like Amplitube used to be where you got a stock fully functional rig and could then add on "metal" or "Jimi."
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wagtunes wrote:

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

Just for those 4 basic modules you're looking at $40. At $20 a piece, that's $80.

Not that the dev has stated these will be the prices but I'm sure they will be way cheaper than hardware.
My Eurorack hardware has cost me well over 3000 quid so far .
cheers
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

risome wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

Not that the dev has stated these will be the prices but I'm sure they will be way cheaper than hardware.
cheers
And my Eurorack hardware had cost me well over $30,000 so far. But I'm paying for tangible hardware which can be resold. I don't find that a compelling argument at all. Guitar Rig isn't sold by the module (for the most part).

risome wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

OSC
VCF
VCA
ADSR

cheers
Softube Modular made me go and order a Mother 32. Don't think I won't do it again! Don't push me! :x

:lol:
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”