Dubstep with Synthmaster

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. :D Me again.

I've been having a ton of fun with Synthmaster, but one of the things that has been bothering me is that I haven't been able to quite figure out how to get some of those big Dubstep growls(I enjoy dubstep and am interested in producing it, so don't bring your opinions on how "dubstep is dead". not interested in hearing it.). I saw in another thread somewhere on here that most of the Massive tutorials can be applied to Synthmaster, but I don't see how that would work. For one thing, Massive has almost no graphics to represent the waveforms, so for the most part I have no clue what waveform in Synthmaster is the same(or similar) as whatever is being used in a Massive tutorial. Then I started thinking, Synthmaster has the option to import WAVs as SFZs, which I presume would work something like importing custom waveforms. So, then, is there perhaps a pack somewhere that includes all or some of the notable waveforms used for dubstep? Maybe just a way to transfer waveforms from Massive to Synthmaster? I don't entirely know how any of this would work, or if it's even possible, but I'd still like to see what I can do.

If none of this is possible, then maybe somebody can point me to some tips or a tutorial on how to make those growl sounds in Synthmaster? I know there's a Dubstep category in the browser, but for the most part it seems to be things like wobbles and yois.

Edit: While I'm on the subject, can someonw point me to a way to switch presets in Live with a keyboard command or something? Using the drop down menu on the bottom of the screen doesnt work, neither do the arrow keys..
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

How about these tutorials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6KgcSPjKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhVXBMxakU

Add an external distortion plugin (the SM distortion is not very good imo) and craploads of compression and here you go.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I've looked at those, but things have moved around in later updates, and it's a bit confusing.

A lot of those dubstep growl sound come from fm8, not massive, so you'd might have more luck if you use the FM functions in Synthmaster instead of wavetable functions. Of course this is trickier, but you can get much more unique sounds this way. After you get the basic sound, eq, compress and distort it.

Check out how to bass by SeemlessR on YouTube. He has over 100 videos of different types of growl basses. Of course he doesn't use Synthmaster, but you can apply the same concepts. If I have time later I'll try to cook up to growl bass examples in Synthmaster.

Chandlerhimself wrote:A lot of those dubstep growl sound come from fm8, not massive, so you'd might have more luck if you use the FM functions in Synthmaster instead of wavetable functions. Of course this is trickier, but you can get much more unique sounds this way. After you get the basic sound, eq, compress and distort it.

Check out how to bass by SeemlessR on YouTube. He has over 100 videos of different types of growl basses. Of course he doesn't use Synthmaster, but you can apply the same concepts. If I have time later I'll try to cook up to growl bass examples in Synthmaster.
Holy-

I didn't even think of that. :o I remember hearing FM8 thrown around in terms of dubstep, but I never made the connection. FM. Duh.Yamaha DX. Duh. Plus, I just got Waveshaper CM, so hopefully that'll work nicely aswell. FM synthesis can be applied to different synths a lot more easily, right? Shit, my world just opened up... You made my day, dude. :D

Edit: My odd trait of not seeing the last sentence of somebody's post continues... Thanks a ton, that would be awesome. :)

Edit 2: I nearly forgot, would my DX-11 also be useful for producing these kind of sounds? My dad also mentioned a TX81Z that he isn't using.

zenophilix wrote:
Chandlerhimself wrote:A lot of those dubstep growl sound come from fm8, not massive, so you'd might have more luck if you use the FM functions in Synthmaster instead of wavetable functions. Of course this is trickier, but you can get much more unique sounds this way. After you get the basic sound, eq, compress and distort it.

Holy-

I didn't even think of that. :o I remember hearing FM8 thrown around in terms of dubstep, but I never made the connection. FM. Duh.Yamaha DX. Duh. Plus, I just got Waveshaper CM, so hopefully that'll work nicely aswell. FM synthesis can be applied to different synths a lot more easily, right? Shit, my world just opened up... You made my day, dude. :D

Edit: My odd trait of not seeing the last sentence of somebody's post continues... Thanks a ton, that would be awesome. :)

Edit 2: I nearly forgot, would my DX-11 also be useful for producing these kind of sounds? My dad also mentioned a TX81Z that he isn't using.
I haven't tried with hardware, but it seems like it should work, but I can't be sure.

Is this the type of sound you're looking for?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... WNKRU5sVG8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... HpkY2hjMXM

I did the first one with just FM from synthmaster and a little echo. The 2nd I recorded myself saying synthmaster and then I loaded that into the 2nd layer and vocoded it with the 1st sound.

Chandlerhimself wrote:...
Check out how to bass by SeemlessR on YouTube. He has over 100 videos of different types of growl basses. ...
Oh boy, that dude is awesome!

Thx for mentioning him. I did not know him. In fact I gave up looking for Tutorials and "In Depth Sounddesign" talk because 99% of them have no information and only lots of bla-bla. And most of the sounds are pretty weak too.

But this guy is completely the opposite. Very creative. Awesome ideas. Lots and lots of indepth sounddesign theory and practice even for seasoned sound designers. Actually I would call him one of the few real Sounddesigners from YT after watching some of his videos.

Dangit, this guy knows his shit. And his devices. All of his sounds remind me on some badass Records I have heard over the years since I became aware of Jungle & Breakbeats in 90/91. And I must admitt that all of his stuff sounds really HQ and professional. Not the usual Reese or Neuro stepper. Simply wow. :)

And more than 100 videos...thx, you made my month.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Chandlerhimself wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

Holy-

I haven't tried with hardware, but it seems like it should work, but I can't be sure.

I did the first one with just FM from synthmaster and a little echo. The 2nd I recorded myself saying synthmaster and then I loaded that into the 2nd layer and vocoded it with the 1st sound.
Holy crap, that's the sound. :D I checked out How To Bass aswell, and after finding a Dubstep epsiode, I was pretty surprised to learn that he was able to make a common growl/scream sound just with two layers detuned from eachother, then distorted together. Excuse me while I dissapear into my DAW for five years. :hihi:

Edit: Is there any chance you could send me those two patches? I'm curious to see how they're constructed.

zenophilix wrote:
Chandlerhimself wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

Holy-

Holy crap, that's the sound. :D I checked out How To Bass aswell, and after finding a Dubstep epsiode, I was pretty surprised to learn that he was able to make a common growl/scream sound just with two layers detuned from eachother, then distorted together. Excuse me while I dissapear into my DAW for five years. :hihi:

Edit: Is there any chance you could send me those two patches? I'm curious to see how they're constructed.
I accidentally erased them when I tried to export the presets. I tried to remake them, but they aren't 100% the same, however they should be similar enough. Of course these aren't perfect, but hopefully it is easy to tell what I did, so you can make your own. I don't know if the wav file is attached to the preset or not. If it isn't just load your own vocal sample in there.

Here are the synthmaster patches.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... kJPTnR1WHc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... HhyRzk3Vzg

Chandlerhimself wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Chandlerhimself wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

Holy-

I accidentally erased them when I tried to export the presets. I tried to remake them, but they aren't 100% the same, however they should be similar enough. Of course these aren't perfect, but hopefully it is easy to tell what I did, so you can make your own. I don't know if the wav file is attached to the preset or not. If it isn't just load your own vocal sample in there.

Here are the synthmaster patches.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... kJPTnR1WHc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DDI ... HhyRzk3Vzg
Thank you. :D

How do you import these files in SM ?

lolilol1975 wrote:How do you import these files in SM ?
Put them in Documents>Synthmaster>Presets

Another tip within Synthmaster is to make use of the Bend modes in the oscillator Algorithm menu. They're essentially phase distortion, but you can get tons of squelchy fun by modulating them. Choose a waveform that has a lot of higher harmonics (the FM folder has some fun ones) and modulate the bend + or Bend - parameters.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Return to “Instruments”