One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATN69 wrote:So is it a good guess that Helm will be the next synth for OSC89? :D
If we get enough positive stability reports, who knows :D

Did you try the latest version?

bjporter wrote:
ATN69 wrote:So is it a good guess that Helm will be the next synth for OSC89? :D
If we get enough positive stability reports, who knows :D

Did you try the latest version?
Not yet but I will. I actually never tried Helm so it will be interesting
:wink:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Now I did 8)

First impression.... looks stable, but eats a lot of ram per plug in instance...Synth1=4Mb Noisemaker=9Mb Helm about 95Mb :scared:
bjporter wrote:
Yeager wrote:0.5 , 0.6 (phones home for updates) and 0.7 (creates a folder called patches on my C drive) are very unstable on my system :( which is too bad because I really like what this vst can do.

32bit vst on windows 7 (64bit) in a 32 bit Host 8)
Did you try 0.81?

Yeager wrote:... eats a lot of ram per plug in instance...Helm about 95Mb :scared:
PER plugin instance?!?!? Or is that just for the first one? It uses JUCE, I assume there's some shared GUI-sharing code that should mitigate the size after the first one is loaded.

Not sure how much the initial instance is, but the average one after that is about 50MB (Cubase 6)
Last edited by bjporter on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I know it's weird but :

FLStudio 32 bit
Clean project : 185 MB Total
1 helm : 413MB Total
2 helm : 517MB Total
next helm : 621MB Total
next helm : 724MB Total etc...

REAPER 32 bit
Clean project : 99 MB Total
1 helm : 263MB Total
2 helm : 353MB Total
next helm : 442MB Total
next helm : 532MB Total etc...

I think I go for REAPER :clown:
z.prime wrote:
Yeager wrote:... eats a lot of ram per plug in instance...Helm about 95Mb :scared:
PER plugin instance?!?!? Or is that just for the first one? It uses JUCE, I assume there's some shared GUI-sharing code that should mitigate the size after the first one is loaded.
Last edited by Yeager on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeager wrote:I know it's weird but :

Clean project : 185 MB Total
1 helm : 413MB Total
2 helm : 517MB Total
next helm : 621MB Total
next helm : 724MB Total etc...

z.prime wrote:
Just tested in FLS 12.3 and 10 instances took it up to over 1.7GB. Other than that it looks great :hyper:

FL Studio account for about 200Mb of the memory at startup. Then I added 6 instances of Helm until I reached 990Mb. So Helm is roughly using 130Mb for each instance just at load up. That is also supported by the numbers from Yeager. Around 130Mb for each instance. To that will come a ton effects plugins, etc.

I can't say yet if it is stable or not, but I do Believe it's possible to run an OSC with Helm as it is. The guy with the biggest memory have a good shot :D Helm truly sounds nice.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I been testing Helm now, making drum sounds. There is something weird going on because I can get reasonable good sounds while I am tweaking. After a while the noise start to crack up and it sounds pretty bad. So instead of Clean White noise I get this crackling sound. I don't know if anyone else noticed this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-FwYQ ... V3WUU/view

Here are some experimental drum presets for Helm.

Helm sounds great, packed with lots of features from what I've seen, but it lacks control of the phase of any oscillators.meaning that unison isn't all that good for me at least. :/
It's very tasty, I swear!

Anyone notice the latest round has some really loud tracks? I remember there used to be a requirement to post your RMS or something. Maybe we should get back to that?

Also, maybe we could consider a month where presets aren't allowed and everyone has to come up with their own sounds? It's kind of odd in a competition where sound design is a factor that people use presets and/or request them from others. I don't think a track where every sound comes from INIT should be judged equivalent to one that is just presets. Maybe a true/false if all sounds where from an INIT patch.

Just some ideas.

bh9090 wrote:Anyone notice the latest round has some really loud tracks? I remember there used to be a requirement to post your RMS or something. Maybe we should get back to that?

Also, maybe we could consider a month where presets aren't allowed and everyone has to come up with their own sounds? It's kind of odd in a competition where sound design is a factor that people use presets and/or request them from others. I don't think a track where every sound comes from INIT should be judged equivalent to one that is just presets. Maybe a true/false if all sounds where from an INIT patch.
loudness is definitely a valid point, but there isn't an easy solution (so many opinions / measurement types, etc) except via voting. If you think a track is way to loud, maybe -1 points.

Have you talked about RePro yet? Didn't see it when scanning quickly through the history..

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=460687

I tried it out a bit and it sounds amazing! So eager on processing power though, I had to start freezing tracks very early on in the process..

/S36
Analogue and digital alike - inside and outside the box. All good music is done with passion and love, not religious convictions!

RePro sounds nice, are there any presets out for it? Just getting into designing my own patches, so I rely quite a lot on presets as starting point.

Helm seems nice to me, but be careful, when I switched from the factory to the Chris Owl presets, the volume increased drastically and left a nasty ringing in my ears!

Darksynth FX wrote:RePro sounds nice, are there any presets out for it?
I don't see any but I imagine there are some out there.
subject36 wrote:Have you talked about RePro yet?
/S36
Yeah, it was mentioned. If people don't mind the massive CPU it uses, it could be a great synth.

What say you all?

Return to “Instruments”