'Old dusty' acoustic-style instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have spent most of my life working with electronic sounds, but recently bought the dirt-cheap experimental Kontakt sounds from Spitfire Audio (their 'Spitfire Labs' series) and found some of the sounds incredible inspiring - things like their Felt Piano, Harmonic Piano, Music Box, etc. They sound old, a bit worn and dusty, they have a lot more character than the usual pristinely recorded acoustic instruments.

So, does anyone have any instruments or Kontakt libraries that I should check-out for similar sounds? I'm not really bothered about what type of sounds they are (in fact, a mix would be good) as long as they are acoustic-based and don't have the 'pristine high-end orchestra' to them.

Atom Hub have some like Harmogeddon and Old Mandolin.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Just had a quick browse at Atom hub, I had never heard of them but they seem to have some great libraries, thanks!

Any other recommendations?

Atom Hub cryptar eternal light is (for me) just THE thing when it comes to these kind of sounds. You just can feel the dust and athmosphere of old and death.... :-o

:D :tu:

Here's some I like in the dusty category that you could check out..

Precisionsound Dusty Electric MkII, Hedberg Travel Organ, Langegard Pump Organ
Sampletekk Pump Organ, Rain Piano
Imperfect Samples Steinway, Braunschweig
Raw Samples Upright
unEarthed Sampling Forgotten Voices
Rattly & Raw stuff
Cinematique Instruments stuff
echo collective stuff
Sound_Dust stuff (especially the Dulcitones and Cloud Viola)

And +1 for Atom Hub
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

I love that kind of sound as well and when I make music I would often mix normal samples with Physical Modelling sounds to add a certain 'other worldly' quality to an otherwise standard sample.

Have a look at the following synths:

AAS Chromaphone
AAS String Studio
AAS Tassman
Nusofting Modelonia
Madrona Labs Aalto
Pianoteq - besides faithful reproductions of pianos or harps, this allows you to twist all sounds into new timbres that have a strong acoustic signature but sound different.
NI Spark
ImageLine Sakura
ImageLine Ogun (PC only)
Krakli StringZ2 (PC only)
Krakli Richamn2 (PC only)
various xoxos plugins (PC only)
Ugo String Theory (PC only)

audington wrote:
So, does anyone have any instruments
Last edited by himalaya on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Wavesfactory
Soniccouture

Also, Omnisphere is great for this sort of thing.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

You can make any sample or instrument to sound dusty with Speakerphone or similar vsts...

These are all brilliant suggestions, thanks!

Rhythmic Robot Audio - really cool crazy stuff!

Funk Soul Productions is what you be needing

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html ... 81::529807

anomandaris1 wrote:You can make any sample or instrument to sound dusty with Speakerphone or similar vsts...
+1 and you can make those sounds sound even dustier by recording the speakerphone output from your laptop speaker into a cheap voice recorder covering the mic with a pair of old socks. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

anomandaris1 wrote:You can make any sample or instrument to sound dusty with Speakerphone or similar vsts...
Love Speakerphone. I was just using it last night to make a voiceover actor sound like an astronaut transmitting from the moon.

Along with that one, I also use Satin, Presswerk, and the free izotope Vinyl to add some dirt and pitch instability.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Audio Thing Vinyl Strip does an excellent job at dirtying up the sound of acoustic instruments. Even has a gate so you don't hear fthe noise and crackling when there's no sound playing

himalaya wrote:I love that kind of sound as well and when I make music I would often mix normal samples with Physical Modelling sounds to add a certain 'other worldly' quality to an otherwise standard sample.
Exactly.
I would specially mention Zebra too, the organ sound of it in combination with its comb algorithms it can produce some fantastic sounds in this area.

I recently bought some very charismatic samples from Cinematique Instruments (Dulcimer, lute, kantele) and orange tree (angelic zither). Great stuff.

Return to “Instruments”