When to use Mono and Stereo in comopressors ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently bought 2 stereo compressors after only using mono Before. Now I know the difference it will make on the Music. If you put a mono compressor on your mix bus it will affect the feeling of the stero image. It is not turning stereo to mono but it will reduce the stereo field somewhat.

When I use my Waves API 2500 and let it compress R and L channels separately I can keep the true stereo immage. But it also mean it will not "glue" (to use a popular expression) the track. If I want to glue the mix I simply use mono compressor or merge the 2 channels on the API 2500.

I also bought one from SKNote. Stereo compressor with mid/side setting and it even increase the stereo field somewhat. There I can compress the mid range separately from the L/R side in the stereo field.

This tutorial in youtube is great. It is a series of episodes where you can learn anything there is to know about compressors. I learned a lot from watching it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuU0pVo ... oMNaXmaZU5
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Effects”