Windows 10 installs automatically during Windows 7 or 8 updates

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xNiMiNx wrote:You think they wont extend it? Last i checked, even with the malware-like upgrade tactics, they still have yet to reach their goal one billion installations.

ATN69 wrote:... I need to open services in windows and manually start PACE for iLok even though its set to start automatically.
Go to services, select Pace License Services, choose Properties, and choose Automatic (Delayed Start). Unfortunately, Pace doesn't know how to code it better for Windows.
Fernando (FMR)

Not sure if anyone posted it in this thread yet, but a California woman was awarded $10,000 because Microsoft force installed Windows 10 on her work PC without her knowledge or consent, and she subsequently had issues with the update:

http://gizmodo.com/woman-wins-10-000-fr ... 1782666146

Microsoft opted not to appeal.

xNiMiNx wrote:You think they wont extend it?
No

I can't remember XP termination day was extended

Win 8 users who don't upgrade, I pity you.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Not sure if anyone posted it in this thread yet, but a California woman was awarded $10,000 because Microsoft force installed Windows 10 on her work PC without her knowledge or consent, and she subsequently had issues with the update:

http://gizmodo.com/woman-wins-10-000-fr ... 1782666146

Microsoft opted not to appeal.
Well, that is California ...

Selling point for Microsoft they got some free publicity showing how "goody goody" they can be cleaning up when doing "mistakes"

Taking out a 1 page ad in New York Times magazine for example, would have cost them more than $100,000

The reason they didn't appeal is that upon losing they would be liable to pay the expenses (lawyers, travel, time, fees) of anyone taking them into small claims on top of the claim itself, which would force them to settle to save them huge additional costs. They would also have precedent set against them meaning any similar claim would automatically be found for the plaintiff.

By not dealing with an appeal they've forced anyone else who wants to make a claim to go through the expenses required and see through the claim in court. Obviously this is extremely advantageous to them.

So the real thing at play here is $10,000 vs. potentially hundreds of millions of dollars (or more?) in future settlements with no option to defend themselves and get out of paying.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

and lets face it - $10k to microsoft is like a cheeseburger to the rest of us. If not half a cheeseburger perhaps. For them it was less of a case of hey we'll fight it, but a case of "meh, give her the money and RUN"
Don't Tech No for an Answer

All you need is another ninety-nine people to file a similar claim in a similar situation (small business owner lost time + money dealing with win10 bullshit.)

Do you honestly think when this story broke we didn't see 999,999 more of these cases filed?

Microsoft shit a brick yesterday.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

The auto Win10 upgrade happened to me the other night as I accidently left my computer on all night. Zero problems though. It boots faster, runs beautifully and I haven't had a single software or hardware conflict. I'm glad I'm finally upgraded, though they shouldn't be doing it automatically. I already have an HP Spectre X360 laptop running WIndows 10 and I love it. It's certainly the best OS I've ever used, but again, it's pretty dodgy practically forcing the upgrade.

Shangsean wrote:The auto Win10 upgrade happened to me the other night as I accidently left my computer on all night. Zero problems though. It boots faster, runs beautifully and I haven't had a single software or hardware conflict. I'm glad I'm finally upgraded, though they shouldn't be doing it automatically. I already have an HP Spectre X360 laptop running WIndows 10 and I love it. It's certainly the best OS I've ever used, but again, it's pretty dodgy practically forcing the upgrade.
What can I say except congratulations! I wish it was that smooth and nice for me :dog: ..but it wasn't.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I hate windows 10, but there isn't anything I can do about it. If I took microsoft to court, the court would lock me up, and make me the bitch they don't have in prison.

For me personally, it's fine. For my dad, it's been terrible (forced upgrade)

I'd nuke the site from orbit, but that doesn't even work in the movies.

They are changing it - a bit...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/29 ... 10_policy/

But take heart - OSX Yosemite has a similar upgrade-to-Yosemite dialog which cannot be permanently dismissed. Except by disabling automatic updates. Who had it first?

UltraJv wrote:They are changing it - a bit...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/29 ... 10_policy/

But take heart - OSX Yosemite has a similar upgrade-to-Yosemite dialog which cannot be permanently dismissed. Except by disabling automatic updates. Who had it first?
I've never seen such a thing - not for Yosemite or El Cap. If you go in the AppStore there is a banner saying there is an upgrade but none of this trickery and no automatic upgrades to a new OS, automatic updates, if on, are just for the current OS.

I've got Win 10 on two computers - like it a lot.

I think it will be good to have most people on the same page.
Developers can work on one OS then, instead of being scattered all over the board.
Should be less problems, and the ones that pop up should be resolved quicker.

Kind of a sneaky thing to do though, installing 10 with a 7 or 8 update.
And I don't like having to opt out of a lot of settings.
I think it should be the other way around - opt in if you want to.
Other than that, I don't have any real complaints with it - yet.

incubus wrote:... I hate Windows 10...
Me too. Ugliest OS on the planet. Clunky. Restricted tweakability (so much so I wonder why they bothered with what little is left). Everything is so BIG - but with tiny icons on the taskbar. No way to turn off auto updates without digging into gpedit.
Only upgraded because some of my plugins (Brainworx) require it. :(

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”